• Register Today It's free!

Navigation system issue

sfrolls01

Reaction score
City, State
Petaluma CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
After updating my touch to V3.2.2 via USB drive from syncmyride.com, I noticed a problem adding or editing voice nametags in the navigation folder “favorites” I get an error message INVALID- Voice nametags could not be enabled. Name is too similar to an existing voice command.
I called Ford Support and they told me to do a Master Reset. I couple of those didn’t fix the issue. I called Ford Support back and they told me to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. They called that a HARD Reset. Still didn’t fix the problem. While the car was a my Ford Service Department for an unrelated problem, they tried to fix it by installing software V3.5.1 and I was given the new A4 SD map card. Problem is still there. I even unpaired my iPhone and deleted the phonebook on my touch to try to get rid of these prior entries that might be causing the issue. I did not have this issue when the car was new. Anybody know how to wipe these old entries out that are causing the error message?
Thanks, Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Name is too similar to an existing voice command.

Sounds like they are saying that the nametag you are trying to use is too similar to an existing MFT voice command. For instance, trying to add a nametag of "DOI" is too similar to the existing tag of "POI", which would cause the system to not recognize or distinguish between the two.

I had this happen once as well, then I changed the nametag to something completely different and it worked.

I don't think doing resets will fix the problem. You're just using something too similar to something that already exists in the MFT Voice Command database.

This is a bug I reported to Rebecca a while ago. The problem is if you enter a favorite into navi, and voicetags are enabled, if you do a master reset the entry will be deleted, but the voice tag will remain. When you try to enter the same destination, using the same name you used previously, it will not allow it because it won't be able to create a voice tag since it already exists.

The only solution I have found is to create your entry using a completely different name (for instance if it was previously labeled as "Work" then you would need to label it something like "My Work", or "Office" so that the voice tag would be completely different)

The other way to fix it is to have the dealership do a complete uninstall of MFT using the uninstaller they have access to, and then reinstall the latest version (3.5.1), but trying to convince them they need to do this might not be so easy.

Thanks for the replies. Car is going back to Ford on Friday to finish warranty work. I will ask them to use the Uninstaller and then reinstall to fix this. If I can't get them to then I am have already altered the voice nametags slightly but should not have to DO THAT!

Thanks for the replies. Car is going back to Ford on Friday to finish warranty work. I will ask them to use the Uninstaller and then reinstall to fix this. If I can't get them to then I am have already altered the voice nametags slightly but should not have to DO THAT!

If they do, and it fixes in the problem, remember in the future to delete any navigation entries prior to doing a master reset to avoid the problem happening again.

Back