Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Does anyone know the difference between the Sport an Limited brakes?

All '13 Explorers built after 12/3/2012 (except base) use the same calipers and rotors except noted above regarding the Interceptor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All '13 Explorers built after 12/3/2012 (except base) use the same calipers and rotors except noted above regarding the Interceptor.

Our Sport was built after 12/3/12 and it's got larger brakes than a regular explorer.

Mine was April of '12. I must have the puny brakes haha

Our Sport was built after 12/3/12 and it's got larger brakes than a regular explorer.

All Sport's have the bigger brakes regardless of build date. After 12/3 all Explorers built after that have the bigger brakes except base models. Your Sport and a newer Limited or XLT has the same size brakes.

Opens mod list, 'add bigger brakes'. Check :)

So, anyone know of after market drilled or slotted Rotors sized for the Sport?

Awesome info, my only question is would the larger brakes fit under the Stock XLT 18" Wheels since i use those as my winter tire wheels and I have a set of Limited 20" wheels for all season tires...?

Awesome info, my only question is would the larger brakes fit under the Stock XLT 18" Wheels since i use those as my winter tire wheels and I have a set of Limited 20" wheels for all season tires...?
Welcome to the Forum Nightcrew.:wavey:
I have the OEM 20" wheels and use the Base model 17" wheels for Winter.
Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Nightcrew.:wavey:
I have the OEM 20" wheels and use the Base model 17" wheels for Winter.
Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

and they work with the interceptor brake upgrade?

The Interceptor Utility/Sedan wheels are 18inch steel wheels.

MOTORCRAFT® BRAKES YOUR OE SOLUTION
Keep Your Interceptors On-Duty with Motorcraft® OE Replacements!
The all-new 2013 Ford Police Interceptors feature a heavy-duty anti-lock brake system developed and tested in association with the LA Sheriff’s Department and the Michigan State Police to help keep things under control!
Motorcraft® offers a complete line of OE brake parts to keep your fleet in top shape. The heavy duty calipers, beefed up rotors, and the specially formulated friction are the same parts that are on the vehicle when they roll of the assembly line, and available today at very competitive prices!
Model
Police Interceptor Sedan
Police Interceptor Utility
Model Year
Brakes - Caliper - Front - Right
BRCF-208
BRCF-208
Brakes - Caliper - Front - Left
BRCF-209
BRCF-209
Brakes - Caliper - Rear - Right
BRCF-237
BRCF-237
Brakes - Caliper - Rear - Left
BRCF-238
BRCF-238
Brakes - Friction - Front
BRF-17
BRF-17
Brakes - Friction - Rear
BRF-1383
BRF-1383
Brakes - Rotors - Front
BRRF-112
BRRF-112
Brakes - Rotors - Rear
BRRF-92
BRRF-92
© 2012 Ford Motor Company
MMS-66062 Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company
OUR BRAKES MEET FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS!
Because they’re built to Ford specifications, every Motorcraft® brake friction part undergoes thorough Ford on-vehicle testing as well as meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). This testing ensures the safe operation of the vehicle’s braking system under a variety of real-world driving conditions. On-vehicle testing is far more costly and complex but gives much more accurate feedback than dynamometer tests.
- FMVSS testing evaluates stopping and fade
• At high speed, low speed and different intervals
• Atthemaximumgrossvehicleweightandatlightloads
• At extreme brake temperatures with minimum recovery time between tests
• Under partial system failure conditions such as losing power assist if engine stalls (i.e. ran out of gas)
- Ford durability testing evaluates friction performance
• Thousands of miles of urban & suburban real world braking
• Must meet minimum wear, noise, dust, and vibration requirements
• Dyno testing = Laboratory evaluation of effects of temperature, speed, pressure, thermal history, and water
on friction level
- FMVSS testing is required testing for OE manufacturers
- Aftermarket manufacturers are not required to perform FMVSS tests and often rely only on dyno or D3EA testing
- Motorcraft® brake friction parts are FMVSS tested on EVERY Ford vehicle platform
When Motorcraft® premium brake pads and shoes are designed, engineered, tuned AND TESTED for EACH specific vehicle. And, on-vehicle testing allows parts to be fine-tuned to each vehicle platform for optimum performance and front to
rear balance.
When you install Motorcraft® brake pads and shoes on your vehicles, you know you’re installing quality. You know they have been thoroughly tested to meet Federal guidelines for stopping distance and brake fade under tough conditions. You know they meet stringent Ford specifications for noise, dust, and durability.
Best of all, they’re backed by Ford Motor Company and its 100 years of experience, so you know they’ve been tested tough!
Certified to Ford and Federal Safety Standards
What FMVSS Ford and Testing Means to You
© 2012 Ford Motor Company MMS-66062 FMVSSPOLICEFLYER-04/12 Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company

Does anyone have information about upgrading the brakes on a 2013 Explorer 2WD?

Sgt1411 posted all the part numbers for the Interceptor's brakes (thanks very much BTW) but the Interceptor is an AWD and Ford will not tell me whether they will fit a 2WD because they cannot help an owner modify the brakes on a vehicle.

So, if anyone has any information about replacing the stock brakes with Interceptor, Brembo, Baer, or Wilwood parts, or knows someone who has done it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

FragOH

B4 you get into replacing the brakes, looking for better stopping power, have you looked into EBC pads at an upgrade? Might save you a bunch of $$$, time and effort.
Best of luck in your search

FragOH

B4 you get into replacing the brakes, looking for better stopping power, have you looked into EBC pads at an upgrade? Might save you a bunch of $$$, time and effort.
Best of luck in your search

Once i get the calipers and brackets ill be aiming at aftermarket rotors and pads; yes.

And Thanks for the welcome PeterK9!!!

Hey Sarge, just did some research and the parts you listed were for the Taurus/Sedan. the Parts here are for the Explorer/Utility

Police Interceptor Utility
Model Year 2013 2013
Brakes - Caliper - Front Right BRCF-208
Brakes - Caliper - Front Left BRCF-209
Brakes - Caliper - Rear Right BRCF-210
Brakes - Caliper - Rear Left BRCF-211
Brakes - Friction - Front BRF-16
Brakes - Friction - Rear BRF-1384
Brakes - Rotors - Front BRRF-112
Brakes - Rotors - Rear BRRF-92

I would also love to get better brakes on mine. They got so warped from just a couple harder 80 mph to 0 mph stops where a freeway turns into a road with a red light.

I would also love to get better brakes on mine. They got so warped from just a couple harder 80 mph to 0 mph stops where a freeway turns into a road with a red light.
I have moved this thread to the 'Modified' section. Perhaps someone here can help you out.
Good luck.

Peter

this is what i have been waiting on!!!! the explorer absolutely has enough braking power to stop the vehicle, but does not have the oomph to sustain long, repetitive, steep breaking without vibrating. I live in western NC at 4000ft elevation. there is not a straight flat road up here. our truck has warped rotors at 19k miles. the truck is heavy and does not do a good job dissipating heat build up. im not sure why some people on here dont understand that. i will pricing tomorrow and if within reason will definitely be upgrading.

Rock auto pricing

front calipers- $173.58
rear calipers- $187.98
front pads- $53.99
rear pads- $41.79
front rotors- $107.58
rear rotors- $83.98

$648.90 Im in like flyn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much for the caliper brackets...?
now just to get some stainless braided lines and slotted rotors and sticky pads!

There really is a reassuring feel to quality brakes that never fade; even moreso than engine modifications i definitely appreciate a good stopping system.

Just my $.02

Back