Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Brake pads are going to be coming due soon on our 13 sport. I tried EBC yellow, and they performed great but were loud and ate my rotors pretty quickly. Has anyone tried the hawk pads LTS, ceramic, or hps 5.0? Also thinking about their talon rotors but I’d prefer blanks over drilled/slotted so I may not actually bite on those.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake pads are going to be coming due soon on our 13 sport. I tried EBC yellow, and they performed great but were loud and ate my rotors pretty quickly. Has anyone tried the hawk pads LTS, ceramic, or hps 5.0? Also thinking about their talon rotors but I’d prefer blanks over drilled/slotted so I may not actually bite on those.
If your OEM pads have lasted this long, why not replace them with the same thing?

Peter

Does EBC make a green pad for your truck? Those are a better street pad if they do. Look harder at the more expensive pads, and not the cheap stuff or part store lifetime stuff.

OEM pads are often the best choice to fall back to if you don't like others, keep them in mind. I use the severe duty pads Ford makes for my 2nd gen Explorer, they have lasted as long as the rest, they make no sound with minimal brake dust.

Does EBC make a green pad for your truck? Those are a better street pad if they do. Look harder at the more expensive pads, and not the cheap stuff or part store lifetime stuff.

OEM pads are often the best choice to fall back to if you don't like others, keep them in mind. I use the severe duty pads Ford makes for my 2nd gen Explorer, they have lasted as long as the rest, they make no sound with minimal brake dust.
Yes I’m currently using the Ford Heavy duty pads right now. I liked the performance of the EBC a bit better but the Ford pads are good. I used the Hawk HPS in the past on other vehicles and liked them quite a bit. These LTS seem to be about the equivalent of an EBC green pad. Green is also an option and I may go that route but I also have like carbotech xp51 on my vette so I’m considering checking if they have a pad for the explorer also. Too many options right now :)

I've tried everything in the past, just about five years ago I went back to the Ford pads. I had seen Ford change the price of a Crown Vic P71 pad from $45 to $108, almost 20 years ago. That made me want to look elsewhere for a long time, EBC was what I used for ages back then. Now I look at those aftermarket brands as second choices, I use Rock Auto and Amazon usually to find the best price that works for me.

That Corvette that you have, is it a Z51 brake car? I'm wondering what the best pads are generally for those. I have just ordered a pair of the Z51 brackets from a 2007ish model, those can be used to adapt the C6 type of calipers onto a Mustang. I have the GTO calipers for my 92 Lincoln project, using SN95 spindles. I expect to try the thick used pads that are in the calipers, but I bought some other aftermarket pads to have quickly if I needed something(some Z23(part number) ceramic kind).

I've tried everything in the past, just about five years ago I went back to the Ford pads. I had seen Ford change the price of a Crown Vic P71 pad from $45 to $108, almost 20 years ago. That made me want to look elsewhere for a long time, EBC was what I used for ages back then. Now I look at those aftermarket brands as second choices, I use Rock Auto and Amazon usually to find the best price that works for me.

That Corvette that you have, is it a Z51 brake car? I'm wondering what the best pads are generally for those. I have just ordered a pair of the Z51 brackets from a 2007ish model, those can be used to adapt the C6 type of calipers onto a Mustang. I have the GTO calipers for my 92 Lincoln project, using SN95 spindles. I expect to try the thick used pads that are in the calipers, but I bought some other aftermarket pads to have quickly if I needed something(some Z23(part number) ceramic kind).
Yes 07 w/z51 brakes

So do you have a preference for brake pads on that?

So do you have a preference for brake pads on that?
Carbotech has been my favorite there. But it’s a much different driving dynamic. Not sure how I’ll like them on the much heavier explorer.

Thanks. I have learned that different vehicles have very different brake choices, and pads are about the most important. I have aftermarket Corvette calipers(65-82) from SSBC, on my 98 Mountaineer. Unfortunately they made those to utilize Dodge Stealth(TT) brake pads, which are relatively small. Those are smaller than 65-82 OEM pads, but I didn't know that when I bought the calipers. After making them work, I found out how short lived they were. I had to change pads fast with the original Hawk pads, and then the EBC red pads lasted about nine months. I tried the yellow versions, and those were about the same. So I stopped driving that truck as much, and planned another caliper change.

I had cayenne brembos all the way around on my GTI, I had the PBR vette/cobra/GTi calipers on the front of my eclipse and currently I have a set of outlander brackets fitted to a talon which uses the factory calipers but allows an 11” rotor instead of 10” I understand what you’re going through! Sometimes bigger is better, some times better is worse, and sometimes what shouldn’t work at all is the best solution. Just got to trial and error everything you can :)

Exactly. I got advice from an expert at TCE(Todd) and he guided me to a better front brake setup, but the pad I didn't look into at all. I didn't imagine SSBC would use a different pads than OEM, let alone smaller. I've got a large pair of Wilwood's now to put on, part of choosing them was the pad volume, and the pricing. An aftermarket caliper for $350 is not bad, for these big SUV's most calipers had pistons that were too small. The choices I had were either these, or a couple other high end($1500+ each) calipers, or hunt some OEM truck caliper that has close piston sizes. Ultimately there may be a very good OEM caliper from some bigger truck, which would provide OEM double seals and adequate pads. But I wanted significantly larger pads, so I'm willing to deal with the race calipers(simple o-ring piston seal(no dust boot built into the seal)).

7520 brake pads.jpg

The front might be the same, but I think Ford took the 2018 rears backwards to the smaller size.
Yep 19 for my truck is tiny rears and they died 34K miles in. I kinda question how they would have been if I really tried to tow.

Has anyone got updated links? The ones in this thread have expired on all devices, I tried even VPN off. I have Centric blanks on the way but asuming I keep this lease I'm going to do the upgrade on the rear.

Back