2001 Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wolfmanjack1978

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello! I have the 2001 Ford Explorer 2 door Sport. It has the 4.0 overhead cam. I see some are suggesting replacing the IAC valve to stop the hard starting. I was afraid it might be the timing, lol! I really do enjoy this vehicle. I just don't like it locking the doors on me after I start it and I have to exit the vehicle and get locked out. Sheesh, that is embarrassing! I keep a spare door key in my pocket now, though :) .

I am missing the front bumper and bumper cover, and cannot find a bumper for it here locally. I think 2001 through 2005 are interchangeable, but I'm not entirely sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bookmarked your parts site.

Thanks! I see the Intake Air Control Valve is temporarily out of stock. I have bookmarked your site. I can't get that part here for less than $63.00 before taxes.

Before you replace your IAC valve do some more research about CLEANING your IAC valve. Sorry, I couldn't find a link for you in the couple of minutes I have before I go home.

I had hard start and low idle problems (had to shift to neutral at stop lights and keep my foot on the gas) for quite a while before I threw a code. The code (don't remember what it was) pointed to replacing the IAC valve. After some research on this wonderful forum I found a suggestion to remove the cover and clean out the valve with electrical contact cleaner (leaves no residue). A couple of bucks worth of cleaner and 10 minutes work, no problems in over two years!

Good Luck,
Dan

Another problem I'm having is hard starts, and it went completely DEAD the other day and when I moved the battery around a bit, it started right up. There is nothing to hold the battery in-place. I don't know if there is an aftermarket replacement for the battery tie-down, or whatever was used. After I did that, I had problems until it began hard-starting again this morning. I'm thinking I've got a battery or cable connection problem also.

Sounds like your cables are going bad. They can be badly corroded under the plastic sheath. If the cable is bulged out close to the connector at the battery there is corrosion under there.

Cleaning the IAC valve, throttle body, and MAF sensors should be considered preventative maintenance.
CRC makes specific throttle body and MAF sensor cleaners. IAC can be cleaned with TB or carb cleaner
http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/CleaningIAC/CLEANING_IAC_MOTOR.htm
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/ThrottleBodyCleaning/Throttle_Cleaning.htm
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350613

Dorman battery hold down kit should be available at most AP chain stores. Call around.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-942-00588.aspx#tab1

The 01-03 Sport has EXACTLY the same front end as the 2001-2005 Sport Trac .....NO difference. They are totally different from the regular 4-door Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622504&postcount=9

Sounds like your cables are going bad. They can be badly corroded under the plastic sheath. If the cable is bulged out close to the connector at the battery there is corrosion under there.

There are no plastic covers. There is some corrosion on the anodes, so I'll probably clean those off and get a strap to secure the battery in place. I really like this vehicle! I traded a 1995 Ford E-150 in for it, and am so much happier with this Explorer. The van had a very bad rattle in it on an incline and would bog down badly. It had a 351 Windsor. Damn good engine. Must have been to endure what I put it through the two years I drove it, LOL!

The battery cable is molded in plastic for it's entire length as most electrical wires are. The battery acid gets between the sheath and the wire causing the wire to corrode from the inside out, all hidden under the plastic sheath.

The battery cable is molded in plastic for it's entire length as most electrical wires are. The battery acid gets between the sheath and the wire causing the wire to corrode from the inside out, all hidden under the plastic sheath.

Then someone must have replaced the cables. There is no plastic on the terminals on my battery cables. I'll try to take a photo and post it later. Thanks!

I'm not talking about the terminal. I am talking about the cable. The corrosion may be under the plastic sheath of the cable. You have to have the sheath over your cables, well at least the positive cable.

Oh, ok. Wonder how difficult it is to replace the cables on these Explorers? On General Motors vehicles it is a royal pain in the a**, lol. This Explorer's engine looks to be fairly easy to get to most everything. My main concern is to find a FRONT BUMPER. Any of you folks have a good used one lying about? :)

Back