Can’t find a hatch glass! 2002 Ford Explorer XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DeaneB

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, La.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Rear hatch glass exploded. I’ve had plastic over it for over two months now.
Had to get it inspected so now have a 30 day temp sticker. I might have to get it renewed if they allow that.

For reasons I’m trying to understand the auto glass place and 2 salvage places looked up the vin number and said they can’t find a rear hatch glass since Ford changed something-
They asked when my vehicle was made, drivers door says 4-2002. One man chuckled and said oh you’re between March and they changed it again in May! Hard to find that one.

That place with a good reputation looked it up in their books and said ok you need a 5 hole (not 7),
and this 2002 model is hard to find.
Checked all their usual contacts. they ordered one and it didn’t fit. Something about the hinge placements. (They don’t deal in used ones so said if I find one they’ll install it for about $200).
They said the dealership did not have one.

So that’s 3 people that asked specifics and said they cant find one.

So I’m calling around and 2 random small auto shops said they've located one but did not ask vin or details. And I’d have to pay before ordering ($360)

A local dealership I called says they have one $650 just for the glass and they don’t do installs. They sounded shady so won’t go there.

I see tons of 2002 Explorers on FB marketplace being sold for parts and the hinges look to be in the right place in the pictures! Two at the top with the black ‘’latch’ over it, one on each side, one at bottom wiper blade.

So to me it looks common. These are for sale far away so I cant run all over, but more importantly how do I know if it’s the right one?
I am so confused.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go here, search for " Glass Rear" for 2002 ford explorer, it will then give a production date choice.

I did this for zip code 70801 and got a lot of choices

www.car-part.com

I got one at our local u pull it. There whereabouts a dozen. Be careful there are two different ones.

I got one at our local u pull it. There whereabouts a dozen. Be careful there are two different ones.

That’s what I’m worried about. Just because it has 5 screw holes in the right place it might not fit.
So if I find a salvage one, trying to figure out how to be sure it will fit before buying and hauling it home.

It's not against the law to call them on the phone to find out. what you are learning is what they do for a job so I am sure most good yards will know the correct part. Use the link above and call some of the results.

Thanks! Yes, I’ve been calling them. Will check out this link, thank you!

You could just replace the entire rear door...

...and it's possible to replace the entire rear door with a 4th gen one...

That’s a great idea. How would I know if it’s an exact match?
Any idea where to go to do this? Having trouble figuring out where to turn to ask about solutions. Auto body places? Or where? I’m clueless and in a hurry :(

Temp Inspection stickers expires in a few weeks. They let me get a second but after that no more.
Wonder if something similar to a convertible fabric, a sort of canvas with plastic is a temporary option?? To pass inspection. I know, nuts.

Dealership found a hatch window that will be $950 to put in. And that’s with the unpainted back piece.
Just seems outrageous and I love my vehicle but that’s a lot at its age.

Have you checked Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts | Auto Salvage for anywhere near you that has one?

Replacing the whole rear door with another 3rd gen is pretty easy, just the bolts at top, the harder part is the wiring for the 3rd brake light, license plate lights, wiper, and locks. There are probably plugs inside.

There should be a thread around here somewhere on putting a 4th gen hatch on it.

Back