• Register Today It's free!

Best Performance Chip Available

FordFueled17

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
I am trying to choose which chip to purchase for my x and have been leaning twoards the superchips blue chip
their web site says it gives you 18hp and 24tq
i have also heard that the apten chip is good.
does anyone have any on their 5.0 i am wondering about gas mileage and perfomance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nearly everyone on here with a chip has an apten

If you do a search you will find plenty of posts of gas millage with chips and HP numbers after being put on a dyno.

I prefer Superchips and have had one in all three of my Fords. Tried to deal with Apten during Brian's departure and had crappy response, crappy customer service, and after 6 weeks with no product I went to Superchips with a great response. I go for customer service and performance- sorry Apten. You will be quite pleased with Superchips product in your 5.0.

yeah ive heard that apten has a customer service issue.
thanks for the input guys i think i am gonna get that superchips one

now onto the exhaust

i also have a 5.0 and i wanna get a chip, how much would the one from superchips cost, anything extra i need to know to install this myself? thanks

ask around on rangerpowersports.com
they'll give you a good answer

Agree with Perf
Got my Apten when Brian was still there and had no problems at all, just do not get hyped by the 18HP and TQ claims, do not believe any chip alone without intake and exhaust mods can deliver that

Apten is the best. I had a Superchips before and it sucked compared to the Apten.

I have had ZERO service issues with Apten and I have been working out some issues with them for a few months now. They have completely steped up to support their product and keep me a happy satisfied customer.
Apten has gone above and beyond the call of duty with me.

You might want to consider a Flasher rather than a chip.

I sold my Apten chip ( which was graet with no problems, ever ) and had them custom program a dual program Flasher.

monmix - do you have a diablo or superchip from Apten? From my experience with them, they won't deal with flashing the diablos anymore. At least they wouldn't do mine which was originally from them...

snocross1985 said:
monmix - do you have a diablo or superchip from Apten? From my experience with them, they won't deal with flashing the diablos anymore. At least they wouldn't do mine which was originally from them...

I really don't know why they denied they would. I just sent mine and checked up after reading they wouldn't burn them. They said they've already sent it to Brian and it will be back in a few days. If you have one, just sent it. The worst than can do is send it back...

If they do send it back to me then its wasted time and money on my part. I just don't see that as a feasable option. If they do take it, then thats great, but I would rather not send a chip to have it sent back. I sent my chip elsewhere and it it is currently on its way back to me along with their great service.

Now I don't want to start some huge argument about Apten's service. If they worked out great for someone then I am happy it worked out well.

I'm sure the whole Diablo thing is a copyright issue.

Mine is a SuperChip I am pretty sure.

I sent mine back to Apten but they had to send it to Brian too because mine is also a Diablo chip. It was hard to get in contact with Brian so it took a long time to get it back. But, they were still honest and and offered good service.

Why couldyou not send Apten's Diablo chips back to Diablo for a reflash?

Al - I did end up sending mine to Diablo. Let me tell you guys, the service that they provide is just out of this world! I called them several times and they were always very helpful and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. They cost $75 for a reburn, but to me it was well worth it because their service is above and beyond what I expected. My chip is on its way back to me right now and should be here beginning of next week. I will start a new thread about my experiences with the service and will include a report on the quality of the burn. If anyone is interested in dealing with them I have the number to call them (its not on their website). Just shoot me a PM if you want it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so if i got an apten now would it be based on superchips or diablos chip

Back