City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
Before: 164.5 hp & After: 185.6 hp
Dyno01.jpg

Before: 214.8 ft/lbs & After: 222.8 ft/lbs
Dyno02.jpg

Well, The numbers are in! I just got home from the Dyno with before and after numbers with the Apten Diablo Chip install.

Gained 22 Horse Power
Gained 8 ft/lbs of torque

185hp & 222.8ft/lbs With a Naturally Aspirated, 4x4, Stock Exhaust, KKM intake & Apten Custom Chip.

Dead Link Removed

DSC00648.jpg

Well I have been driving around a little and the truck feels great! The shifting is much improved, firmer, shift points are different.

I can't speak for Gas Milage yet but I will see that this week. I will post those numbers then.

I also have a video of the dyno I will post as soon as I can.

The quality of the chip looks great, much better than what I have seen of SuperChips.

So far I am giving the folks here a big thumbs up on the Apten chip.More Updates to follow!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure you keep us updated if there are ANY wierd side effects....
As soon as you notice them... PLEASE!!! :D

The dyno results look pretty good.

BlackMagic - It looks like your torque falls off over 4000 RPM with the chip. Does your Explorer feel stronger at the bottom, but weaker at the top?

i thought automatic 2001 sports were like 203-207 hp stock?............

That's at the crank. The dyno results above are at the rear wheels. Some of your HP/torque is used up to turn you rear wheels which is the driveline loss.

on the dyno, you can see that we started the stock pull at a lower RPM than the chipped pull. That is why torque shows higher for the stock calibration. If you look at where the chipped run starts, it has more torque through most ranges than the stock calibration, especially after 4K rpm's. That discrepency is my fault, I should have paid more attention to what RPM's I started each run at. If I had started the chipped run at a lower RPM I am pretty sure there would be a favorable gain at peak. Through the powerband you can see there's a decent gain in both torque and HP, not just peak.

on the second graph, dark red is the chipped torque, and orange is the chipped HP graphs. The blue's are the stock HP and TQ. It is a little confusing because on the first graph blue is the chipped HP while orange is stock. That's just an inconsistancy from the dyno operator.

also, the automatic transmission drivetrains loose about 20% effeciency, add another 3-5% through the transfer case. So if you assumed drivetrain loss is 25%, his before BHP number is about 219 and his after BHP is near 247. So actual flywheel HP gain could be closer to 28HP.

Thanks Matt for giving us a run.

Ok, on the second chart the RED is CHIPPED torque, ORANGE is CHIPPED HP. BLUE is STOCK. If the Max Torque is 214 in RED and BLUE is 222. how is that a GAIN of 8? its a LOSS

wonder what the numbers for my 5.0 awd would be.. definatley more loss cus of the awd..

OK, now that the graphs are explained it looks like the chip does little below 4000 RPM, however both the torque and HP showed decent gains above 4000 RPM. I would like to see a back to back comparison against a SuperChip though. If I could see a significant differerence it might be enough to change chips. If you can find someone in your area with a SOHC and computer code SRE1, I would be willing to mail you my SuperChip to compare your chip against.

Robert No, it feels better all the way through. I did some cruzin' last night and it did great. Off the line is very much improved. Then it just keeps pulling.

Oh, yea did I mention no governor! I was doing 118 lastnight on an 'empty' Hwy 44, no one was arroud so I wanted to see how fast it would go. In an X that is really fast. Altho it was very smooth. Thanks to being lower and the suspension stuff I have done.

Interesting data....

Please explain how the tranny performed.

Based on what you have seen, would you purchase this chip? Rather than a Superchip or Diablo Delta?

Thanks.....

aldive The Tranny seems much crisper, and shifts at a higher RPM when I have it floored...

Just based on the performance Gain. I would buy one. If there is a gas mileage gain too. I would defiantly buy one!

Matt, would it be possible for you to put the HP and torque data in a table? It would be easier to make choices if we could see that, for example ( only, no readl data ) at 2k rpm the hp dain was .23 and torque .15?

Set up a table for the whole range.

Thanks.....

I also want to know about MPG. So far i have jumped on every bandwagon of mods on this board looking to increase MPG. Sythetic Fluids, KKM, Cat-back System, Throwing small furry animals in my gas tank and nothing has seemed to affect gas millage at all. I average 13-14 mpg of city driving. Not really sure about highway miles because i spend more time driving in the city. Please give an honest responce with MPG increase or decrease. I think i will become suicial if i buy one more mod which does nothing for what i am trying to improve. Now my truck sounds good with the intake and exhaust but i would really love to save a little gas.

Someone probably already asked this but is that 30-day money back guarentee really a no bullshit type of guarentee? If i dont like it i send it back with no problems?

99explorer5.0, have you checked your tire pressure lately? BTW, what color is your truck?

If I can get a job in the next week and start working, I might be able to do buy the Apten chip. I'm cutting it close though...

Lookin good Matt....Keep us updated on your findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like we got a winner, now i only wonder how this would on a 1st gen. Do you get a better HP torque increase with a manual 2wd?

Back