mpg readout

tripleoption

Reaction score
City, State
KOSH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hi again,
I'm looking to add a fuel flow gauge or real-time mpg readout to my '00 XLT. It's a 5.0 with AWD, and obviously without the fancy computer that the EB and Limited have. Just wondering what my options are.
Thanks again,
J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest thing to do would be adding the computer setup from an EB or Limited, which isn't that easy. But somebody's done it on here before.

Why not just use your trip meter to measure your mileage?

jayhawkexplorer said:
Why not just use your trip meter to measure your mileage?

I want something instantaneous. Airplanes can have sensors that measure temps and such at each individual cylinder, if the owner so desires. I want realtime fuel flow feedback, just like the BMW's. The EB/Limited deal sounds slow and complicated, if it's even accurate. More research to do I guess.
Thanks,
J

realtime fuel flow?

just out of curiousity, why would u need to know this?

IZwack said:
just out of curiousity, why would u need to know this?

For the same reason you're asking. :)
Instant feedback is nice, no matter what you're referring to. You can use the data to make corrections and get more positive results. Fuel economy, political polls, investments...whatever. No guess and check.

Maybe I just have gadget envy.

People on the board really like the ScanGauge. It plugs into the OBDII port and gives a bunch of readings. It can be mounted or switched to another car.

I would get one, but I hate the back lighting.

Thanks. That thing looks like it might just do the trick.

Yea, I've heard nothing but good things about them and when I called the company they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I might have to get one now that I think about it, my 5.0 is sucking down gas like a fat guy does to a milk shake.

Edit
ps: This thing will be more accurate than any factory console you can put in.

It's an "easy" project if you like wiring. Go to the "Usefull threads" forum, and click on "How to Install a Message Center."

Several members, including myself, have figured out what you need to get from the junkyard or ebay, and how to wire it up. Lots of pictures.

Good luck.

Back