Pedro... there was no bearing there! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pedro... there was no bearing there!

Got my UnLimited back home and finally had some time today to get a closer look at it. Pedro told me that he did the best he could to tighten one of the front wheel bearings... but I noticed that my truck sat kind of funny:
DSC00932.jpg

and decided to take that side apart. To my amasement I found out that inside wheel bearing was totally gone... outside one was falling to pieces.
DSC00941.jpg

Pedro... you did tighten that wheel bearing but that did not work cause there was nothing there... I noticed wheel tilted every time I hit the brakes. Now it got me thinking... either go with the new set-up totally... bearings, spindle, rotor, hub and brakes or just SAS... Attica is calling baby.. I might just put it back together using parts from the "Victim"

BTW - "The Victim" got bruised today... while moving trucks around - brakes are low on the UnLimited. Shocks!
DSC00933.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more shot of what was left of that inside bearing:
DSC00942.jpg

when he tigtened them... did he just tighten the inner one as hard as it would go? caus that could explain your problem.

The wheel was off camber... he figured it was either bad ball joints or loose spindle nut... well, the nut was loose alright... and some. Inside bearing was non existend... he didn't know, just tightened the nut, wheel came back up... glad I didn't drive it home. Towing on a flat bed was a good idea. BTW - I also know now why ABS light is on... ABS sensors are missing...

there are 2 spindle nuts, and inner and outer. The inner must only be torqued to a few ft lbs, not much. Then a clockwasher goes in and another spindle nut, the outer nut should be torqued on hard.

I know... problem is you're torquing it against the spindle, not the bearing. No problem... looks like the whole thing needs to be redone anyway... both sides to make sure nothing happens while in Attica in two weeks. :thumbsup:

these spindle nuts go on after the bearings, not sure what your talking about

This happened to me with the ttb to, inner bearing broke into a million pieces. This is one of the reasons i went solid. Big Tires on the TTB=Bearings failing.

JTX said:
This happened to me with the ttb to, inner bearing broke into a million pieces. This is one of the reasons i went solid. Big Tires on the TTB=Bearings failing.
It's not the first time this happened to me... I just got this truck back after 5 years... I know Pedro replaced bearings before as well... for now I'm gonna replace just bearings, install a second set of manual hubs (thanks God I saved a set)... forget about ABS sensors for now and just take it wheeling. It should do untill I swap a solid under there... :D

sn0border88 said:
these spindle nuts go on after the bearings, not sure what your talking about
sorry... forgot to explain in detail. I just bought this truck back... haven't seen it for the past 5 years. Before I got it though the guy tried to fix the front end since the wheel was off camber. He took the wheel off and noticed that the spindle nuts were loose so he just tightened them not knowing that there was no inner bearing (which got smashed to pieces). After I got it I took the wheel off (I knew something might of gotten damaged since he drove it with loose spindle nuts) and noticed that the whole thing's got a lot of play... took the spindle nuts off and voila! bearings were shot. That's the whole story... ;)

I just scrapped the left over parts from my 93 4x4, and got all of $72. Good luck with it, I loved my 93 before, now it's a 99 SOHC 4x4. Regards,

Dre,

So funny you got her back... good stuff..

everything starts all over again... tear down and one more build-up. Yeap! different plans for this one. It's still sitting in the garage on jackstands. Even over the long weekend I didn't have enough time to do anything. Parts are just sitting there... perhaps one of those days... when honey do's list runs out.
:confused:

Dre said:
everything starts all over again... tear down and one more build-up. Yeap! different plans for this one. It's still sitting in the garage on jackstands. Even over the long weekend I didn't have enough time to do anything. Parts are just sitting there... perhaps one of those days... when honey do's list runs out.
:confused:

Honey do's never go away! I am actually looking at picking up a K5 Blazer. I love my GTI's, but they are just useless when it comes to utily stuff. The K5 looks pretty clean and for 4K, why not. We'll see what happens.

As long as I finish what I started in the kitchen I'll be able to start putting the truck together.

As for the vehicles? I'm going the other way. I'm about ready to sell my Mounty. It hurts real bad at the pump especially since I put around a 1000 miles a week on the clock. It's gonna be tuff to haul stuff without the big trunk but I will have to survive... better to rent a pick-up at the Home Depot than to keep a guzzler just to haul a few sheets of drywall or some lumber twice a year.

:thumbdwn:

thought about a diesel for a moment but they are either expensive to buy or expensive to finance. Hybrid crossed my mind but it's just not up my alley. I like to have something there under the hood, something that will give me good fuel milage but also be able to deliver a punch when necessary. I know, I know... I'm giving in but paying now $3.19 per gallon hurts... especially filling-up every other day and it's a 20 gallon tank.
:(

I only tightened it up to help move it around and make it easier. I didn't pull everything apart and at one point, about 4yrs ago replaced all the bearings.

Dre--Rumor has it, the grand cherokee will be getting a diesel very shortly, which for the limited hauler, could make for a good vehicle to wait to get. I'm never going back. Diesel it the ONLY way to tow when the load is as big as a truck.

RFR2212 said:
I only tightened it up to help move it around and make it easier. I didn't pull everything apart and at one point, about 4yrs ago replaced all the bearings.

Dre--Rumor has it, the grand cherokee will be getting a diesel very shortly, which for the limited hauler, could make for a good vehicle to wait to get. I'm never going back. Diesel it the ONLY way to tow when the load is as big as a truck.

Pete.. Long time no talk.. What are you driving now a days?

Pedro... diesel would be nice but for my DD I've got to have something with a better gas milage... damn gas prices... we got so used to cheap gas... :fire: For towing my truck around though I would love to get a diesel flatbed towing truck... but I'm in a different line of business. I met my buddy yesterday who drives his LR daily to work... just switches wheels... but he is in construction. :rolleyes: I'll think of something... believe it or not truck is still sitting on jackstands with parts right next to it... honey do list is getting shorter though. :thumbsup:

COMMOCOZY said:
Pete.. Long time no talk.. What are you driving now a days?

Got myself a 73 bronco with a 302 and solid axles. I will be getting a new set of axles shortly with lockers and its on 33in swampers. My daily driver is Riffs old dodge diesel. Still need to be getting myself a trailer.

Dre-- I get 18-20 around town ;) 16 towing the bronco :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RFR2212 said:
Dre-- I get 18-20 around town ;) 16 towing the bronco :thumbsup:

I'm getting 15-16mpg mixed driving... no towing.

anyway - I did look into the specs of the 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 diesel (flame suit on) but would have to think about it real hard... Jeep is gonna get around 19 mpg city and 24 mpg highway... that's not much of an improvement over what I get now plus diesel is more $ than regular... daily driver? I don't know... but that would be a better choice than an Echo or some other Yota with a hybrid.

Chevy's got a hybrid and some E85 sh** going on... got to look into that as well. If Ford came up with hybrid or diesel on something bigger than Escape I would consider for sure.

Back