I have a problem with my explorer starting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem with my explorer starting.

turpen13

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeport, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
ok here is the deal, im new at all of this, im only 20 and dont have anyone to show me anything and just starting working on trucks 3 weeks ago. so im learning everthing as i go, but there is one thing i cant figure out, when i go to start my explorer i have to turn the key on and then back off 4 times and then start it, other wise it wont do anything. what would cause this. fuel pump? any help would be great. i just fixed the 4 wheel drive, lifted it, and made new bumpers, and now this problem started.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you are saying you have to turn the key to start 4 times before the starter will crank?

Or

You turn the key 4 times to ON to prime the fuel pump, then it will finally crank and start?

battery cables, power cables to the starter, weak battery

Fuel pump fuse and relay, wiring to it, fuel pump

I would test battery
I would test fuel pressure

91 wiring is getting old, and lifting the truck can move wires around, stretch them out, your battery cables wear out.

First tell us why you have to turn the key 4 times and how you figured this out.

If you mean it won't crank over until you try it 4 times then You need to answer this:

Does this only do this for the first time on a cold morning, and then it starts fine for the rest of the day? - if yes, then likely the starter needs replaced.

depending on what you mean;

IF IT WONT CRANK FOR 4 TIMES - You most likley have a bad ground or solenoid.

IF IT WONT START BUT WILL CRANK - You may have a leaking fuel injector, or possibly a bad fuel pump.

I had a jeep that did the same exact thing. I figured it was the fuel pump so I threw a new one in but it did not fix the problem. Just made my wallet a little thinner and my knuckles a little bloodier.

well ya i have to turn it to start, and it sounds like the fuel pump kicks on for a few secs. and i have to do that for times and then it will start. and it does it every time. i can have it running for an hour, shut it off and try to start it right away and it does the same thing. but thanks for all of the help, i will try all of those things you guys suggested, starting with the cheapest of course. thanks alot.

you might be able to clean the contacts inside the relay/sylinoid or flip it over.

one question, how does it run once started, that'll give me a better idea..

-Dan

Didn't notice that you lifted it. I would bet money that you have a bad chassis ground.

There are 2 ways to check this, one requires jumper cables the other you have to know your way around a multi meter though.

1.) A really quick way to tell is to take a set of jumper cables.
2.) Connect one end to the frame, preferably a non-rusted and "clean" area.
3.) Connect the opposite end of the same cable (ie. Red --> Red) to the lower mounting bolt on the starter.
4.) This will establish a ground for the starters 400+ amps to travel thorough.

This should start the vehicle, IF it is a bad ground.

I had the same problem, mine was a bad ground

well it runs like ****, i just got it a few weeks ago, and im just trying to get stuff fixed on it, it has many problems. and ill try the jumper cables to ground it and try that. thanks alot

if it runs like **** and seems to shudder, idle hard, or not have any power, i'd take a look at the fuel pump.

But give the ground theory a shot, it might tell you something.

Just be careful.

-Dan

its either your solenoid or relay same thing happened with mine

it could possibly be your cylinder identification sensor it tells your computer what cylinder needs to be fired. if it goes bad your computer guesses which coil to fire until your engine starts which is about 3 to 4 times. check this sensor it could be the problem.

Back