• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Starting Problems

fishnbas2

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Ive been searching my problem on here but cant find the real diagnosis so ill try this. My 98 expolorer with the 4.0 engine wont start. It will crank but wont fire. It done it about 3 weeks ago but it eventually started about ten minutes later. This time it wont fire. I changed to fuel pump relay and checked the fuses and all seem ok. I dont hear anything when i turn the ignition on (no clicking) and while im cranking the cel stays on. It just seems strange that it done it before and then started and has been fine until now. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:scratch: Im sorry its a 97.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the intertia switch to make sure it isn't tripped and make sure the wire is attached firmly.

I dont hear nothin when I turn the key to the on position. Ill try these two ideas and get back with you. Thanks.

Well i looked at the fuel switch on passenger floor board and looks ok and plug is tight. I noticed a small click in the back wen i turn the key to park, Im gonna check the spark on the plugs tomorrow.

Check the intertia switch to make sure it isn't tripped and make sure the wire is attached firmly.

Good suggestion! That is overlooked a lot.

fishnbas2 said:
Well i looked at the fuel switch on passenger floor board and looks ok and plug is tight

But did you try and reset the switch? There is a little red button on top. Push it...then try and start it.

When you crank, does the "Theft" light on the dash flash rapidly? If so, look to the PATS system transponder or key. My car would crank but not start sometimes, very inconsisten. I noticed the theft light flashing when this situation occured. Eventually it started happening more and more often, finally took it to FORD dealer. Once relaced, the problem went away. It was not cheap to fix however!

And-
Mine recently developed bad connections in the power distribution box ( the thing the relay plugs into)
The relay would click, but the 12v lines to the pump had bad enough contact that the pump would not run.

I repaired this by tightening the spade lugs in the harness ( down in the yellow part of the box), and twisting the relay prongs slightly..just a tad-

And-
Mine recently developed bad connections in the power distribution box ( the thing the relay plugs into)
The relay would click, but the 12v lines to the pump had bad enough contact that the pump would not run.

I repaired this by tightening the spade lugs in the harness ( down in the yellow part of the box), and twisting the relay prongs slightly..just a tad-

I'll bet that was a ***** to find JT!

I'll bet that was a ***** to find JT!

Well, we were in the campground, and I had already pulled the spare pump out of the tub-
I was freaking a bit thinking the tank had to be dropped, and as a last effort wiggled the relay-
When I heard it run a bit I knew I had found the problem.

It actually took less than a hour to fix. Tbars4 and Ssmith kind of enjoyed themselves watching me panic.

Now this is just as strange as anything I have ever seen. Went out and hooked up anonboard code reader to it and had no codes. Tried to start it and it started right up and runs great. I have not done a thing to it. Sat almost a week and tried to start it every couple days. Never would start and then today it starts right up. Turned it off and it restarted each time. Any ideas now?????????

Now this is just as strange as anything I have ever seen. Went out and hooked up anonboard code reader to it and had no codes. Tried to start it and it started right up and runs great. I have not done a thing to it. Sat almost a week and tried to start it every couple days. Never would start and then today it starts right up. Turned it off and it restarted each time. Any ideas now?????????

Crank position sensor? They are intermittent like that. Watch that your check engine light stays on before you crank and goes out while you crank.

Is this gonna be hard to replace?? Has anyone prepared a sticky for this yet?? Why didnt I get a code tripped for this sensor?? This is strange.

Can this sensor be taken off then put right back on or does the engine have to be in a certain position. (Like crank pulley @ top dead center etc.)??? I havnt any idea on this.

Back