Out with the old, and in with the new! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Out with the old, and in with the new!

ChriszTruck

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0 AWD
I recently found this forum because I was looking for information about the front suspension on my green '96 XLT 4.0 4x4. I started looking for a new truck because I'm moving and don't have the time or tools or garage space necessary to do the exstensive front end work. It's going to a wholesaler for $600 because even at $750 I couldn't find anyone serious about buying it. So then......

I found this gem in less than 2 days! A white '96 XLT 5.0 AWD with 151k for $2,500. It's been garaged, very well cared for and maintained. A brand new trans was installed by a Ford dealership just over 40k ago. It's in fantastic condition inside and out, has a sunroof and the A/C blows freezing cold. The difference between the v6 and v8 is tremendous, and the truck feels smooth and solid with new shocks/leaf springs in the rear and good front suspension. I'm so glad to remain an Explorer owner. :) If there's anything special I should know about the AWD version of the truck please let me know.

dsci0191qs2.jpg

dsci0196om3.jpg

dsci0194yj7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good that you got a v-8 as a bonus.
Nice find.
I'm very surprised the green one is going bye bye for 600 bones--

Dang--if you were closer I would have snapped it up--

Nice find.

x2

Yea, that gree ones in AMAZING condition!! why so cheap?

best mod for the AWD = ditch the AWD and go 4406!!

Nice find.

Thanks - and that Mountaineer of yours is AMAZING. Quite possibly the coolets one I've ever seen.

Yea, that gree ones in AMAZING condition!! why so cheap?

I think photos do the green one justice as it has body damage. Nothing that bad, but coupled with the mechanical work it needs makes it a hard sell. I could probably get a little more for it, but I need cash bad right now.

AWD case is strong enough, but its 70% rear 30% front at all times.
It wastes alot of power and MPG

the manual 4406 conversion gives you 2wd, 4hi and 4 low and will make your 5.0L feel like a different truck. IMO this is the way Ford should have built them

No not all 4406 are manual, but the manual case is a perfect fit for your truck and you dont have to do any wiring or computer changes. there are members on this Forum that went through all the trouble of swapping to an e shift style 4406, but thats alot more involved AND the e shift case wont fit with your gas tank.

the 4406 conversion will gain you MPG = it pays for itself and the 4 low is awesome.

the manual 4406 conversion gives you 2wd, 4hi and 4 low and will make your 5.0L feel like a different truck.

I'll say! The 4 lo is enough to break a neck if you aren't ready for it.

If I can do the swap-anyone can.:p:

I'm always ready for 4 low :)

Two theories

1: Ford knew soccer mom's & yuppies couldn't handle it.

2: Chrysler paid Ford to make the 5.0 AWD because they knew an Explorer with a 5.0 and selectable case would have really kicked a HEEP's ass :D

3: Ford decided to drop the remaining Mustang pushrod Gt-40's into th eExploder chasis and they needed a small 6 bolt t case that would fit under the truck/gas tank and still work with the IFS front end = simple AWD clutch style t case. (AKA "the easy way out") AWD just screams "safe and works in snow"

you got a decent deal

I certainly did ^^^^^ :)

That 4406 sounds like fun, however a fancy man like myself cannot be bothered with all that pesky shifting and clutch work. I've got full-time AWD automatic now, and everyone knows that's much better than selectable 4x4. :p:

In all seriousness, I would really like to get a late 90's Mountaineer to make into a go-fast luxury-style truck one day. Until that happens I will be keeping this Explorer mechanically stock aside from possibly an aftermarket air intake and cat-back. I have some light cosmetic mods in mind, but nothing noteworthy. If I ever get that Mounty I want, I'll keep the Explorer and make it a secondary off-road vehicle and mod the **** out of it.

I just sold the old Explorer to a super nice guy tonight who plans on making the necessary repairs, and I'm happy to see him get rather than the wholesaler. He purchased a '94 Explorer a month ago for which he lost the title to and is having great difficulty in getting a duplicate. I told him about this site too so maybe we will see him here soon.

QUESTION...
One thing I noticed about the new truck since taking it on the highway is the front shocks are "bouncy" and travel a bit more than they should which is quite noticeable at highway speeds. I guess I didn't notice this when I first drove it because I was so used to the poor front suspension on the old truck. When pushing up and down on the front bumper then stopping, the front end bounces a full two times before leveling again. I'm thinking a set of shocks are in order. What brand do you recommend, and how much should I be paying for them? Should I pay a shop to do this or attempt it myself? I assume I have to compress the springs, and I'm told this is not advisable using a hand tool type spring compressor. I will search for a tutorial after this post, but I'm looking for feedback anyway.

You dont have coil springs in the front, you have torsion bars. Shock replacement is very simple. Unbolt the top and bottom mounts and remove the old shocks. The just replace them with the new ones and bolt them up. As far a recommendations, if you want a good ride that you can adjust to your tastes go with the rancho 9000x's. They are 9 way adjustable and run about 100$ each.

Rancho RSX shocks work great on the Explorer, they are self adjusting and a bit cheaper then the adjustable RS9000

Getting rid of the old one for 600? I may have someone interested in it.

By the way, where in NJ do you live? I swear my wife and I looked at your house when we went on a open house binge recently.

You dont have coil springs in the front, you have torsion bars. Shock replacement is very simple. Unbolt the top and bottom mounts and remove the old shocks. The just replace them with the new ones and bolt them up.

I realized that today, lol. I mentioned to a friend that I need front shocks, and I want to do the job myself. He started talking about compressing the springs, and I didn't think twice about it. I am an ass.

Rancho RSX shocks work great on the Explorer, they are self adjusting and a bit cheaper then the adjustable RS9000

I think I will go with these as $100 a pop is a bit expensive for me right now.

Getting rid of the old one for 600? I may have someone interested in it.

By the way, where in NJ do you live? I swear my wife and I looked at your house when we went on a open house binge recently.

The old one is already gone. I'm currently in Farmingdale, and yes the house has been for sale for about 2 months, closing on the 30th of this month, and I still haven't found an apartment. That would be funny if you had passed by.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back