Urgent - 5w-20 oil change

entinnovations

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB V6 4x2
Hey everyone,

I just changed my oil and put in 5w-20 instead of 5w-30 which Ford calls for in the 4.0 SOHC engine. Should I be concerned?

I will change it out immediately if there is any chance of damage.

Thanks guys

Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no worries. just change it out soon and all will be well. the thinner weight is actually better in winter.

just a little thinner oil, shouldn't hurt especially that new. check with Aldive though.

While you're at it, make the jump to a synthetic oil if you REALLY want to make your motor last longer.

Thanks for all of your quick replies.

I'm located in Tampa FL, its been cold, but then hot again two days later. I originally had 10w-30 in it over the summer and just changed it out this morning.

Aldive I know you are in Sarasota and if you don't think I need to worry I won't.

The oil is Mobil1 full synthetic

I go to Walmart get Ford 5w-20w semisynth oil. I have noticed an increase of 2 -4 mpg on the highway using 5w-20w instead of 5w-30w. Using convential oil 5-30 gets worse gas mileage. I was thinking of switching to synthetic, as the price has gone done - 5 gallons of Walmart synth oil - TECH brand is around $13.97.

Hey everyone,

I just changed my oil and put in 5w-20 instead of 5w-30 which Ford calls for in the 4.0 SOHC engine. Should I be concerned?

I will change it out immediately if there is any chance of damage.

Thanks guys

Justin

One thing you might want to do is keep an eye on your oil level. Might burn a little more than usual due to the lighter viscosity.:cool:

Back