Used 5W-20 instead 5W-30 in my 2000 Mounty, is that bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Used 5W-20 instead 5W-30 in my 2000 Mounty, is that bad?

84FLH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
2000 Mounty. 396,x.. miles on original motor. Been using 5W-30 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters since new.

Since 200,000 miles have used Mobil 1 "High Mileage" 5W-30. I now have 395,x.. miles on original motor.

Changed oil and filter (M301) today. Never noticed I'd bought 5W-20 until I was all done!

Will this cause a problem?

Will it damage my motor to make a 6 mile round trip at 40mph to auto parts shop to buy 5W-30? If there's the slightest chance it will, I'll get a ride instead.

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will not damage the engine from a short trip. Shouldn't damage the engine even if you left it in there, but it might use more oil between changes.

It will not damage the engine from a short trip. Shouldn't damage the engine even if you left it in there, but it might use more oil between changes.
Thanks, Rick. This vehicle's past due for replacement but I'm looking for an off road capable truck camper so I can full time RV next year, or two years out, at the latest. Trying to keep the Mounty alive until I get the rig. So I do plan to drain/refil with 5W-30 tomorrow.

Unless you’re operating in a hot environment, it’ll be just fine.

I’d still put the proper spec in at the earliest convenience.

Unless you’re operating in a hot environment, it’ll be just fine.

I’d still put the proper spec in at the earliest convenience.
Thanks. It's about 40 degrees here. Maybe 45 later today. Parts store is holding a 5 qt jug of 5w-30 and a new filter. Hate doing a job over but it's gotta be done. I drive 45 mile round trip to work every day, 65-70mph. Gotta have the right oil, especially in this old, high mileage motor.

I'd just put a quart of Lucas in there.

Thanks. It's about 40 degrees here. Maybe 45 later today. Parts store is holding a 5 qt jug of 5w-30 and a new filter. Hate doing a job over but it's gotta be done. I drive 45 mile round trip to work every day, 65-70mph. Gotta have the right oil, especially in this old, high mileage motor.
at 45F you're fine to drive it unless you are climbing mountains or driving cross country

i've gotta come clean here - for anyone that does this in the future, you'll be fine. i changed my oil before a road trip and came back and when i came back (garbage wasn't taken out yet) i noticed i bought the wrong oil. i just walked straight into napa and walked out so quickly i didn't even read the label (maybe? who knows what happened). my heart sank a bit for a sec but i mean, i was able to drive almost 1200 miles and didn't notice anything different. would i do it again? no. is it a big deal? probably not, but better to just change it to the right thing anyways.

i've gotta come clean here - for anyone that does this in the future, you'll be fine. i changed my oil before a road trip and came back and when i came back (garbage wasn't taken out yet) i noticed i bought the wrong oil. i just walked straight into napa and walked out so quickly i didn't even read the label (maybe? who knows what happened). my heart sank a bit for a sec but i mean, i was able to drive almost 1200 miles and didn't notice anything different. would i do it again? no. is it a big deal? probably not, but better to just change it to the right thing anyways.
That's good news and a great story. Thanks!

Everyone;

I changed the 5w-20 to 5w-30 the day after I made my post. Maybe it didn't make much difference to the engine but it made a lot of difference to my peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Everyone;

I changed the 5w-20 to 5w-30 the day after I made my post. Maybe it didn't make much difference to the engine but it made a lot of difference to my peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Good choice

Back