• Register Today It's free!

Police issue explorer?

therealblinky

Reaction score
City, State
Red deer Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
hey everybody i am new to these forums and i have one quick question about my explorer. Its a 2002 XLT 4.0L SOHC

just wondering my explorer is an X police vehicle and i was wondering if their are any differences between this one and a regular one not used by police. i know it has 3.73`s but thats about it. i know with the crown victoria`s police issue they have beefed up suspension and drive train and all that jazz. any info would help. happy trails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha yea i know. i got the truck from my mom after she was done with it and their has been alot of preoblems with it.

rear end was completely rebuilt
new transmission at about 200k
heater fan blew apart
wires in door broke resulting in only 1 window working along with no power locks/mirrors
something in the airbox broke so i don`t have air cond. anymore
door ajar problem
stock stereo melted down for no apparet reason
hood release cable and handle snapped

so i think i have most of the bugs worked out haha but i still am wondering about the police issue

Police issue X's aren't any different then the stockers that we buy, just used more and harder. Ford chose not to make a severe service vehicle like they did for the P71 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor edition. Agencies may have made modifications after purchase, but that would all depend on them. Chevy does have a police package for their Tahoe, but I don't know what that all entails.

I am no expert on this, but this is what I have read in the research I have done in the past.

haha yea i know. i got the truck from my mom after she was done with it and their has been alot of preoblems with it.

rear end was completely rebuilt
new transmission at about 200k
heater fan blew apart
wires in door broke resulting in only 1 window working along with no power locks/mirrors
something in the airbox broke so i don`t have air cond. anymore
door ajar problem
stock stereo melted down for no apparet reason
hood release cable and handle snapped

so i think i have most of the bugs worked out haha but i still am wondering about the police issue

Wow, the tranny lasted 200K??? Pretty good for any auto. how many miles does the beast have???

how many miles does the beast have???

Most police vehicles are estimated at 50,000K a year for everyday use. If that helps at all..

haha yea the tranny went out around 190k it was around the time when i first got my licence so i ended up killing the tranny in a mudhole haha the parents didn`t like it too much when i came home at 3 in the mornin coverd in mud and reaking like clutch.

the exploder has around 230k now and i just did a long overdue spark plug change (overdue around 100k) and oil change and it runs prime.

also my parents didn`t do any routine matenance so is their anything i should check to make sure its in good order? PCV valve, plug wires, ect?

Back