Painted XLS bumper cover? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted XLS bumper cover?

our explorer has crappy looking fake chrome bumpers and we want to paint them black do you guys think regular paint would be ok? im thinking bedliner any suggestions?

Paint over the metle bumper? Paint wont stuck to that, need to get a Limited bumper from the junk yard and paint it...IMO bed liner looks like ****...A lot of the off road guys like it but I'm a street guy so are opinions are very different.:salute:Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uafan... your statement couldnt be anymore true. now that ive had my explorer for a while now, i notice just about every X on the road... and there are just way to many options lol ( not that its a bad thing ) but theres like 5 different bumper options alone with just the XLT models...

UGH so many choices lol

5 different bumpers for the XLT? Maybe with the 3rd gen.

2nd Gen(front bumper) 1995-1998:
XLS-EB all hard the same basic bumper

Then had Limited bumpers

1999-2001 I like to call the 2.5 gen because the truck got a small face lift. The front bumper now has round fog lights and the bumper is a dift different shape. And in 1998 the rear bumper and hatch and back window all changed.

I really dont think theres 5 different bumpers for the XLT 3rd gen there might me 2 or 3 at the post painted non painted stuff like that...One of my friends who know the 3rd gen could step in at any time!

Danny, can't wait to see pictures!

Well I just got the grill off...was gunna take some before pics but i forgot to =/ but paintin the grill gloss white, so far so good. It looks great, tested with a piece of plasctic from my old car, and i hafta say..that krylon fusion paint looks purty damn good! might just go ahead and do the bumpers, mirrors, and door handles lol! I'll post some pics when its all finished =D

Awsome cant wait to see it, I was going to do my mirrors and the windsheild wipers, but havnt got the time.

Krylon is simply amazin :D

Post some pics up when your done id love to see it!

Just a heads up, you don't need to prime with Krylon Fusion. It says it on the bottle. It's made to stick to plastic as is, but I'd give it a good wetsand beforehand.

I was always a bit skeptical of using Krylon Fusion on the exterior for durability reasons. I ended up using the Duplicolor Bumper Paint. It's holding up pretty well.

When you guys painted with Fusion, did you use a primer? Did you use a clear coat on top? How is it holding up?

Danny,

i did prob go overboard on the bumper choices for the third gens, but it was just an exadgeration as im sure you know...

BTW i checked your rims out... there gonna look good !!!!

Danny - what a coincidence of name lol

I was always a bit skeptical of using Krylon Fusion on the exterior for durability reasons. I ended up using the Duplicolor Bumper Paint. It's holding up pretty well.

When you guys painted with Fusion, did you use a primer? Did you use a clear coat on top? How is it holding up?

No primer and no clear coat. Just a good washing before painting it.
I was going to do a clear but i have not found the time yet.
It holds up amazing
Been thru lots of mud and washings.
It hasnt chipped cracked or scratched yet, and i had to push my friend out of a ditch the other day ... ( push not pull =P ) I was expecting at least a scratch or somin or for the plastic to give way.. but i guess not, lol

So yeah i guess its pretty durable. :thumbsup:

Just some pictures of the finished product..I used Krylon Fusion Gloss white
The grill finished a little more whiter than the truck itself it seemed like (truck also needs a bath too soo..). There were 2 different whites Walmart had and i just got the whiter one, guess i shoulda tried both though. But it still turned out awesome so im not mad at all lol! Enjoy the pics though!

Looks awsome! I think it came out very good. Nice and even it looks :thumbsup:

You gonna do the bumpers too?

Most likely, just have to get a few more cans of that krylon fusion. Not sure when ima do it though, probably in the next couple weeks or so =D

Awsome. All white would look really cool.

Nice job! Now you just need to get on washing that truck. :p:

How many coats did you use?

That looks really good. You added a clearcoat right?

Now all you need is the bumper & other unpainted trim

I actually used about 5 light coats, seemed to bubble up a little if I sprayed a bit too much. But easily fixxable. I did not use any clear coat though, not sure if im going to or not, this stuff claims to be chip resistant, but the only thing about that is it says you have to wait 7 days before that takes affect and I kinda overlooked that and went ahead and put it on, and a little tiny bit of paint chipped off i guess where a bug hit it so i put another coat on and im going to wait 7 days this time haha. So right now, im just cruisin around grill-less lol...but the grill still looks awesome, I am really considering doing the bumpers.

I actually used about 5 light coats, seemed to bubble up a little if I sprayed a bit too much. But easily fixxable. I did not use any clear coat though, not sure if im going to or not, this stuff claims to be chip resistant, but the only thing about that is it says you have to wait 7 days before that takes affect and I kinda overlooked that and went ahead and put it on, and a little tiny bit of paint chipped off i guess where a bug hit it so i put another coat on and im going to wait 7 days this time haha. So right now, im just cruisin around grill-less lol...but the grill still looks awesome, I am really considering doing the bumpers.

Light coats are the way to go. Helps prevent runs n the like.

It is very durable w/o the clear coat. Mine help up to pushing a 78' 250 out of a ditch...bumper to bumper action. lol :eek:
(im more suprised the plastic held up)
Im sure a clear wouldnt hurt tho. But im poor. And nnother can of paint could buy me a second lunch. I got a high metabolism... I gotta eat ... all the time. lol

Thats odd yours chipped. I put mine back on after a couple hours and drove around later that night. Didnt get any chipping. It claims its good to handle after like 2 hours or somin. *shrug*

You should definatly do the bumpers. It does not take long to take them off and its very easy ... just gotta" persuade" the back bumper to slide out of the hooks. Then its just painting away :D

I loveee painting *starts babbling away* lol

Light coats are the way to go. Helps prevent runs n the like.

It is very durable w/o the clear coat. Mine help up to pushing a 78' 250 out of a ditch...bumper to bumper action. lol :eek:
(im more suprised the plastic held up)
Im sure a clear wouldnt hurt tho. But im poor. And nnother can of paint could buy me a second lunch. I got a high metabolism... I gotta eat ... all the time. lol

Thats odd yours chipped. I put mine back on after a couple hours and drove around later that night. Didnt get any chipping. It claims its good to handle after like 2 hours or somin. *shrug*

You should definatly do the bumpers. It does not take long to take them off and its very easy ... just gotta" persuade" the back bumper to slide out of the hooks. Then its just painting away :D

I loveee painting *starts babbling away* lol

Hahahaha Yeahh i definately know how the whole eatin thing is, im the same exact way lol! And to buy another 4 cans of paint or so, that quite a bit of money for me so i hafta save that and maybe after i get back from MD (going to see my girl =D) i'll find some time to do the bumpers...i really really wanna do them but money is very tight right now and im jobless =( cant find jobs out here in the boonies of TN =/

But yeah i dont know why it chipped? but its not biggie, just slap on another coat and wait a little bit longer. and i dont think ima do the clear coat either, just more money haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hahahaha Yeahh i definately know how the whole eatin thing is, im the same exact way lol! And to buy another 4 cans of paint or so, that quite a bit of money for me so i hafta save that and maybe after i get back from MD (going to see my girl =D) i'll find some time to do the bumpers...i really really wanna do them but money is very tight right now and im jobless =( cant find jobs out here in the boonies of TN =/

But yeah i dont know why it chipped? but its not biggie, just slap on another coat and wait a little bit longer. and i dont think ima do the clear coat either, just more money haha

Haha i hate it sometimes. But oh well

Yeah money sucks .. i would guess it would be a lil hard to find one out there :(

Im sure youll get it done tho

Back