opinion needed: upgrade aftermarket headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opinion needed: upgrade aftermarket headlights?

Greetings all-
I need your opinion on something. My '95 is badly in need of some brighter aftermarket headlight bulbs. If I visit my local parts store and/or big-box discount store, there are so many to choose from. What do you suggest for a brighter bulb? I am running OEM now. I am not necessarily looking for the blue/white tint light, but wouldn't mind it if it was brighter than OEM.

Also along these lines, any suggestions on a good plastic polish to remove the yellowing and other oxidizing from the headlight lenses.

Thank You!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not only are your lenses yellowed on the outside they have probably deteriorated on the inside. Reflector surface ect. I would just but some new lights. You can get the OEM of Clears on Ebay for cheap. It alone will make a big difference.

I really like Sylvania Silverstars. As good as PIAA IMO.

Useing a harness will get the max brightness out of any bulbs. http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=112
You may find one cheaper but I know from my own use that this is a good one.

I highly recommend the sylvania silverstar ultrabrights ive gotten them for EVERY vehicle ive owned and i know they arent cheap and i aint rich but i put the money out every time. And as far as headlight cleaner i love the stuff from autozone in a blue bottle. It wont be hard to spot because they only have 2 kinds the white bottle which is mcguires and the other is the blue bottle.

Advance Auto is selling a kit for $9.99, it's a little pad which goes into your power drill.

With no more than 1,200 rmp, you are supposed to wet your lights and run the pads over them. I did that on mine, and unbelievable, it made a hell of a difference.

Then I bought Silverstar Ultra's (9007's) and put them in. Worked excellent.

I used to have the PIAA's in them. Yes, they are bright white, but the light output (the way you can see) was extremely low compared to the Sylvanias.

Besides, they are legal, which most of the ones offered i. e. on ebay are not.

Greetings!

I actually just ordered a set of clears corners and headlights two nights ago off ebay and they came in today. Talk about fast shipping. But mine came with sylvania ultra brights and I can't believe the difference. I could actually count the deer on the side of the road tonight instead of counting my blessing that one didn't jump out infront of me. The total set only set me back 81.37 and that was free shipping. I am now ordering some clear ( euro) tail lights to match. But check on ebay pm me and I will give you the sellers store info. He is out of memphis which is why I got mine so fast.

Another option is to go to a set of 90/100 Watt bulbs and beef up your headlight wiring. That's what I did and its great! 90/100s without better wiring will not be noticeably brighter. Check them out on ebay. Mine have great white light. They don't look ricey at all. The low beams don't look very different to other drivers than stock. The high beam are a different story.
IMGP0916.jpg

with that wiring harness will you actually have the true 80/100 watt setup? If so then I will buy those over the xtravisions i've always run

Is that a complete harness that connects to the battery and has relays for the high & low beams OR just new connectors for the headlight bulbs?
I havent seen it before and am curious.

I'm with Bill K on this one.

Polishing the lens will help some and new bulbs will help some so that will add up to more than one but not what a new set of Headlights Units will do.

Buy Clear Cut Lenses with 9004 Bulb capability, also get a harness designed for 9004 or similar lamps.
If you buy a harness for your vehicle it should be a plug and play but if not rewiring is easier than you might think using the existing OEM high/low wires to control the relays and run new relays and a fused power wires.

The results of new units and 9004 bulbs will amaze you, you will not believe the difference, go for it.

p.s. The 9004 are higher than normal output so you will need to look for something that has the proper output for your area. They sell a bulb that has a 55 watt low beam that is really 65 watts and the highs are 100 watts, these are really bright.
Two things you need to run these bulbs are headlights assemblies that can handle the higher temperature and wiring that can handle the amperage.

Buy Clear Cut Lenses with 9004 Bulb capability, also get a harness designed for 9004 or similar lamps.
If you buy a harness for your vehicle it should be a plug and play but if not rewiring is easier than you might think using the existing OEM high/low wires to control the relays and run new relays and a fused power wires.

The results of new units and 9004 bulbs will amaze you, you will not believe the difference, go for it.

p.s. The 9004 are higher than normal output so you will need to look for something that has the proper output for your area. They sell a bulb that has a 55 watt low beam that is really 65 watts and the highs are 100 watts, these are really bright.
Two things you need to run these bulbs are headlights assemblies that can handle the higher temperature and wiring that can handle the amperage.
The 1995 X uses 9007 bulbs which are higher wattage than the 9004 bulbs that were used in the first generation Xs.

Back