The 5R55W transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55W transmission.

basenjib123

Reaction score
Does the servo bore pin fix on the 5R55 tranny make this thing a "good" transmission? or do you feel it has enough other issues to keep it in the current "troublesome" category even after this fix? Thanks, Joe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had trouble with yours? If not why would you want to mess with it. Just keep the fluid changed and I don't think you'll have any problems. I firmly believe that most transmission issues on this forum are caused by neglect.

The servo bore pin fix looks to part of a complete rebuild so it wouldn't be something you would do in hopes of saving a tranny. The tranny would still have to be pulled to do this.

Yes, I have no 2nd or 5th gear. Transmission shop says servo bore is the problem. They are rebuilding it and installing a bronze bushing into the bore. As far as neglect goes, I can only say it was dealer maintained from day one.

I saw the documentation showing dealer maintained when I purchased the truck but I suppose it could have been fudged on me. Truthfully, I asked about the transmission back then because a co worker told me a bunch of horror stories regarding this transmission in his Mustang.

One member said that the steel pins of the servos slide at an angle into the aluminum case causing premature bore failure. I can't confirm this, but it would make sense, so even a new bushing might eventually wear out.

The servo bores do wear out, but 67K does seem a tad premature. I think that the tranny has to come out to resleeve the servo bores does it not? While in there I would strongly consider at least inspecting if not replacing the torque converter, and the valve body/solenoid.

my wife's 'Neer had the solenoid replaced under warranty (3) times before 65K. Finally on #3 they also replaced the Valve body.

Each time they had new fluid/filter including the fluid in the converter.

Now @ 147K the trans slips some. But the lerchy-hunt-n-peck shifting has long been remedied.

Yes, I have no 2nd or 5th gear. Transmission shop says servo bore is the problem. They are rebuilding it and installing a bronze bushing into the bore. As far as neglect goes, I can only say it was dealer maintained from day one.

2nd and fifth gear problems can be related to the overdrive servo piston too. Mine had cracked around the top of the "bell" where the pin is attached, Overdrive was on/off than completely gone and second gear went with it as its the same servo piston for both...

overdrive servo was 40$, 1.5 hrs labour, much better than a rebuild and shifts fine now..

Our explorer also went through three warrantied servo changes before they did the entire valve body. They were for gear hunting and slow drive engagement, something I would live with were it not under warranty. They were each 20K apart. I was happy when the last one resolved all issues because I was also getting the trans and filter done for nothing when it was almost due:D Now it has 116K miles and has no symptoms other than a harsh downshift while braking. It has been about 50K since flush and filter, so its time. I dont think the 5R55 is any better or worse than other trans out there. Just gotta keep on top of them.

Back