How to: - 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good to know that the throwout bearing is indeed compatable. thanks

just finished the swap, this thing is awesome!!!! man, this really goes in the lower gears. now i just need to get a custom tune. would you recommend the guys at bamachips?

i would agree that bleeding the clutch is horrendous. bench bleeding the master until there is no give to the piston is necessary.

also, the checker store near me just started carrying sachs clutches, they have one which i used which only costs $129. i was wary of such a cheap clutch, but i have a friend who's an alfa/fiat mechanic who swears by them, so i figured $129 is worth a shot

Run from Bamachips. Customer service is terrible, I'd never give them a cent. Look up James Henson www.hensonperformance.com he is the guy to deal with.

I agree, I have bought tunes from both(for different trucks for different reasons) and although I had problems with both, Henson was way more responsive and made an effort to correct the situation. As it is I still have a couple unanswered emails from Bama.

just finished the swap, this thing is awesome!!!! man, this really goes in the lower gears. now i just need to get a custom tune. would you recommend the guys at bamachips?

i would agree that bleeding the clutch is horrendous. bench bleeding the master until there is no give to the piston is necessary.

also, the checker store near me just started carrying sachs clutches, they have one which i used which only costs $129. i was wary of such a cheap clutch, but i have a friend who's an alfa/fiat mechanic who swears by them, so i figured $129 is worth a shot

Awesome, glad everything worked out... what t-case did you use or did you keep the awd? Also did you buy the dealer hydraulic line? and what year M5R2 did you use?

used the 96 150 line
used a 98 4.2 tranny with 55,000 miles
kept the awd

did you end up sorting out that intermittent "hiccup" I seem to be having the same issue. maybe it's something in the computer that needs to be removed when using the manual tranny.

did you end up sorting out that intermittent "hiccup" I seem to be having the same issue. maybe it's something in the computer that needs to be removed when using the manual tranny.

Actually I still haven't gotten around to it yet. That was my initial fear but now I think it's just the fuel filter and pump. This pump has died on me one time already, but I revived it by hammering the gas tank with a mallet with the key in the on position. So that in combination to stepping it up to the 93 performance tune(more thirsty) is what I think it is. I asked Bama like a month ago if they could send me the stock tune for this truck but never replied. I expect this pump to die pretty soon and I when it does and i replace it, if I still have the problem then I will look into it more.

before replacing the pump, check to make sure your MAF sensor is clean. that can cause some pretty bad hesitation.

if it feels like a slight misfire, it is probably the pump. but if when you're accelerating it feels like it just falls flat on it's face for a second or so, the MAF is a good place to look.

Yeah I thought about that too. I replaced the fuel filter last night and that didn't fix it, I returned the ECM back to stock and the problem still happened so next I'll try cleaning the MAF. The plugs are all fairly new so I wouldn't think that would be a problem, so the next thing would be the pump i guess.

for me, the MAF was the culprit.

Have you recharged an oil based air filter recently? if so, that can cause contamination of the sensor if the filter was not fully dry when reinstalled

for me, the MAF was the culprit.

Have you recharged an oil based air filter recently? if so, that can cause contamination of the sensor if the filter was not fully dry when reinstalled

Actually I did, right around when this problem started happening too. That's good to know, thanks. What did you use to clean it? I was going to get some electronics spray cleaner from radio shack unless you have a better suggestion.

Use the electronics contact type of cleaner. Don't use carburetor cleaner or any harsh type, that is very bad for the sensor.

just curious, do you know that the rear oxygen sensors are hooked up correctly? if not, try switching them and see if the problem still occurs

first off just wanna say what a great write up on this whole thing and congrats it all worked for you....now heres my situation....i work in a junk yard and have been eyeballing just about everyone of the klunkers and have found nothing of any good use...so i out sourced to another yard and they have a 1988 f 250 with a 5.0 and a stick.... they also have a 97 explorer 4.0 stick.. im thinking if i get all the parts....trans, clutch, flywheel, starter, and bolts..slave out of the 250 and the pedals out of the 97 its as good as in..., i also wanna do the t case swap too but with a np208 becausei all ready got one and lbah blah..ill leave that for the write up...but heres the question will it work? how did u take care of the tranny comp issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off just wanna say what a great write up on this whole thing and congrats it all worked for you....now heres my situation....i work in a junk yard and have been eyeballing just about everyone of the klunkers and have found nothing of any good use...so i out sourced to another yard and they have a 1988 f 250 with a 5.0 and a stick.... they also have a 97 explorer 4.0 stick.. im thinking if i get all the parts....trans, clutch, flywheel, starter, and bolts..slave out of the 250 and the pedals out of the 97 its as good as in..., i also wanna do the t case swap too but with a np208 becausei all ready got one and lbah blah..ill leave that for the write up...but heres the question will it work? how did u take care of the tranny comp issues?

That's the older M5R2 and the shifter won't be in the right place. Any M5R2 after 97 (off a 4.2) is what you want or else the shifter will be under the dash. Also it would be easier to start with a 5.0 explorer so you don't have to deal with wiring. I think the 88 might not even be MAF and it might run weird in a truck that's much heavier.

Back