PCM upgrade results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM upgrade results

dave042583

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
i finally did the PCM upgrade and it has made a huge difference the idle smoothed out probably 95% improvement the cars shifting is much smoother and more consistent and at lower RPM it cost me about $115 canadian but well worth the money:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called my ford dealership 2 days ago and they told me that none were available

When you say the idle smoothed out, how was it before? Did it surge, engine shake?

i had a pretty bad engine shake and once in a while i would get an engine surge. My car had the original PCM software from the factory i just called the dealership and i guess the upgraded to the newest available software not sure which version they used but my car is running alot better then the original PCM software

Do you have a part number for the PCM?

Is there a TSB for the PCM flash - and if so, is this applicable to the 4.0 or 4.6 - or BOTH?

Just had my car in for the speed sensor recall so I asked about the PCM upgrage. There was one available so I had them do it for $98. The notes on the dealer paperwork said the upgrate was for improvements of transmission shifts and also for improvement of exhaust smell. It seems a little better with the shifts now I guess. I have an 02 EX 4.6 AWD.

Just had my '02 in for some recall work and had them flash mine. The dealer claimed there were several updates that were done. I notice no difference at all. Cost was $78 + tax.

Back