• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light

ameislander

Reaction score
City, State
maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
my 94 explorer has 65K and after it has warmed up and going down the road i will step on the throttle a little heavy,like going up a hill then the check engine light will come on. i have already replaced the spark plugs and plug wires which made it run better but the light will still come on . can anyone help me as to what might be wrong .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be an o2 sensor, dont remember if the key thing works in the explorers or not but turn the key from off to just before starting like 3 timesthen leave it in the power on swith and see if the check engine light blinks. count the blinks and look up what it is, but my guess is 02 sensors or or someting rattling loose as you speed up

I do not believe the key trick works on the 1st gen explorers but you can use a paper clip to do the same thing do a search for paper clip and you should find it.
the best thing to do before throwing parts at it is to pull codes that way you will have an idea of were to start looking testing and maybe replacing parts as some times a good cleaning is all it takes .

yes huntman58 as you said perfectly, and i wasnt sure if it worked on these or not.

there's a sticky on that at the top of the 91-94 page

there's a sticky on that at the top of the 91-94 page

I thought there was Just could not recall it as I have never had to use it. I bought a code reader a long time ago for my truck and would be lost with out it.

Back