• Register Today It's free!

maf upgrade

DV8

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Grove, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
i've read on here on several posts about people upgrading to a mustang maf, and have a few questions about it, and i have yet to find answers to them.

1. do i use my stock sensor in the mustang housing, or keep the mustang sensor?

2. what are the benefits, if any, of doing this?

3. will i have to change/modify my intake tube?

i do have a degree in redneck engineering, so there's not much i cant do, i just want to know the particulars on this before i attempt it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Look in the modified section of 91-94 there's a sticky on it that answers pretty much all your questions.

Use your guts in the mustang MAF, it's larger than the stock one

Benefits?? A little better airflow I guess... The stock heads are the most restrictive part

I don't reckon you would "Have" to change your intake.... But it'd fun to try and build one of your own

Look in the modified section of 91-94 there's a sticky on it that answers pretty much all your questions.

Use your guts in the mustang MAF, it's larger than the stock one

Benefits?? A little better airflow I guess... The stock heads are the most restrictive part

I don't reckon you would "Have" to change your intake.... But it'd fun to try and build one of your own

The benefit from gutting it comes from the fact that the stock meter is calibrated for the opening to be a specific size. Your sensor meters airflow over a VERY small area, and sends a signal back based upon what the size of the unit should be. This has in essence, the same effect as a vacuum leak on your engine, without the loss of the vacuum necessary to perform a lot of operations. In other words, your engine takes in more air, thinking there is slightly less air, and leans your fuel out slightly. Since explorers run a little rich, you can see some slight power gains.

Though, even with only having a narrow-band O2 sensor, the computer eventually realizes that something is up, so it adjusts the fuel maps slightly. So eventually, you go back to running exactly the same as it did before, however, now you have a larger hole you can suck air in through, which means slightly better pumping efficiency, and a larger volume of air you can suck in at high RPMs.

thanks guys... since my x is mostly a highway cruiser right now, i'm gonna wait to do this mod, if i do it at all. buuuuuuuut, i am looking at buying another first gen, and if the boss will let me play with it, i'm thinking custom intake with a 4barrell.....

Back