low mile/old tire. Ok to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

low mile/old tire. Ok to use?

I was thinking of buying some wheels that came off an EX in '04 and put in storage. Is it safe to use these tires after they sat in storage on the rim for so long? They are Michelin Cross Terrain P235/70R16 tires with very little usage. They look like new in the picture. I'm going to take a good look at them tomorrow. What kind of defect should I look for or should I just stay away from them? Thanks, your help is appreciated.

I like the style of the stock rim they're sitting on. That's why I'm considering buying them.

3nc3o13lb5Z65X25S4b3h8a3e688003c01612.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a good deal and they don't have visual dry rot than you should be just fine with them. You said they sat in storage so I wouldn't expect dry rot as that's caused by sitting out in the weather and the sun. One other thing to really look for is a seperation, which is what happens when the nylon and steel plys seperate and the only thing supporting the tire is the rubber, not good. If seperated the tire will have a bulge, I've seen them from the size of a golf ball to half a football size.

Just see if they are holding air and look for cracks in the sidewall and tread and put your hand on the tread then literally feel all the way around for imperfections. Easiest way would be to roll the tires on a even surface and watch for it to bounce.

If none of that stuff seems to be an issue and they have decent tread than I think you would be happy with the outcome, good tires for cheap:thumbsup:

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response. The guy said they've been just sitting there wrapped in plastic. I'll make sure to take a good look and do the roll test on each. Thanks again.

No problem, it also helps that he left them in those plastic bags.

Check the date codes on the tires. They could be as old as manufactured in 2001 and be on those 2002-up wheels. Recommended tire life, whether on a vehicle or brand new in a tire store is 5 maybe 6 years. Time deteriorates the steel/rubber adhesion internally.

If they're cheap-cheap and you don't run high speed highway/interstate and you only carry yourself you might risk it.

I wouldn't put MY family on them though.......... regardless of how good they "look".

Read your date code

Tire age

More

You're right NC. I had to ask if it was worth it and I decided it was not. I went and looked at the wheels and the looked immaculate. However, Upon closer inspection I saw that the code date was 0403. I'm pretty sure that means the fourth week of 2003 correct?
I did the roll test, checked for lumps and checked for cracking. They rolled even, no lumps but there were little cracks all around the writing on all of the sidewalls. No cracks in the tread.
Not wanting to risk the safety of my family, myself or fellow motorists. I had decided it was not worth saving a buck. I had also advised the seller of the wheels about my concerns. I think that he thought I was going to offer him less after I was done talking. I just said I had to pass on them. Tires are too old and might fail in the future.
So off I go in search of some new tires. Maybe I'll get some 265's:D

Back