BFG Mud Terrain Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG Mud Terrain Tires

I'm thinking of putting some BFG mud terrain tires on my stock 15 inch rims. I currently bought 1 new (235X75 R15) and used my never been used reserve Wrangler RTS tires and used them for the front. I'm about to buy another pair of Wrangler RTSs for the rear but not sure yet. Does anyone here have pics of a 2nd generation explorer (no lift) with stock rims and mud terrain tires? I wanna see how they look. Buying tires is no joke since they are expensive lol!
I have no plans on lifting my explorer too.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site...... do a search its been covered many, many times

I do not recommend them - at all.. I had them on my Grand Cherokee and they go out of balance so fast.. I had them rebalanced three times in four months.. they were horrible.

jimwww said:
I do not recommend them - at all.. I had them on my Grand Cherokee and they go out of balance so fast.. I had them rebalanced three times in four months.. they were horrible.

you got a bunk pair, of all 10 sets i have had of them over the years, they keep their balance pretty well...... to me, they wear out too quickly, but then again, my truck spends 90% of its life on the street and i drive like a maniac, no tire likes constant tire spinning ;) :burnout:

i've owned 3 sets of bfg mt's. i loved them. think they are a great tire and u can get great mileage out of them if u take care of them. i've seen people easily get 50,000+miles out of them. they work great offroad. only reason i don't have a set anymore is that i wanted something more aggressive and a larger tire (super swamper) i reccomend them :thumbsup:

Jeff00000168 said:
Does anyone here have pics of a 2nd generation explorer (no lift) with stock rims and mud terrain tires? I wanna see how they look.
There are some on here somewhere. Search around and you'll find them. I loved my BFG M/Ts when I had them. They were 35s though. ;)

They are a good tire, but I would recomend the the Pro Comp Muds over them for alot of street driving. The PC's have much better control in the rain. BFG muds down right suck in the rain. reguardless understand that these tire will only last about 40k mile, and ride ruff. If you you want a tire with a off road look, goor road maners, and good tread life, you can't beat the BFG A/T's ;)

trxus m/t...way better than bfg

Stic-o said:
They are a good tire, but I would recomend the the Pro Comp Muds over them for alot of street driving. The PC's have much better control in the rain. BFG muds down right suck in the rain. reguardless understand that these tire will only last about 40k mile, and ride ruff. If you you want a tire with a off road look, goor road maners, and good tread life, you can't beat the BFG A/T's ;)

if you want some BFG A/Ts, PM me I have a set with only like 500 miles on them.
They are great tires I have had them on several other vehicles. I never used them since I lowered my sport and put 18s on it.
-Rich

Best Tires I Have Ever Owned....

KINDA PISSED THAT THE GUY I BOUGHT THEM OFF OF PUT THE WHITE LETTERS INSIDE.
I AM GOING TO GET THEM ALL SWITCHED AROUND SOON.

THEY ARE UNBELIEVIABLE IN THE SNOW. AND PREFORM AWESOME IN THE RAIN.
AND THEY DO MAKE AN AWESOME HUMMM WHEN YOU SPIN THEM!

Attachments

• DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 51505 (2.5).JPG
    51505 (2.5).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 9,577
  • 51505 (4.5).JPG
    51505 (4.5).JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,085

have you looked into the bridgeston dueler m/t's or the firestone destination m/t's? also good tires..

Stic-o said:
BFG muds down right suck in the rain. reguardless understand that these tire will only last about 40k mile, and ride ruff. If you you want a tire with a off road look, goor road maners, and good tread life, you can't beat the BFG A/T's ;)

I don't know about that rain part. I mean I live in Seattle so y'all know how much wet weather driving I do. I have never had an issue. They actually do a bit better in heavy rain than my A/T's did.

So far I have about 25K on them and they are still 2/3rd to 3/4th tread life left.

They do however have terrible road manners at lowers speeds as they are a bit rough and for some reason tend to wander of their own volition. Personally I think it has more to do with road rutting in metro areas and tire width :rolleyes:

They do get loud on the road as they wear in good, but make up for it in the dirt.

For the first year I was convinced that I would go back to A/T's with my next tire. After having driven on these for a bit I won't go back :thumbsup:

I do not recommend them - at all.. I had them on my Grand Cherokee and they go out of balance so fast.

That's because the BFG's didn't like being on a HEEP :D

Back