Trip in the ex: Detroit-Toronto and back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trip in the ex: Detroit-Toronto and back

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Went to Toronto from Detroit over the weekend, in the way in averaged about 21.5MPG with crosswinds and about 45ºF air ambient temp. Last evening on the way back averaged about 23.5MPG at around 60ºF air ambient temp.
Ex performed flawlessly, cannot detect A-pillar rattle (vehicle was built third week in February).
Toronto gas prices are about $5.20 /gallon for regular 87, so I was somewhat happy to have FWD...

Only saw two other Ex's the entire trip!

One was on Friday around 2:45 PM on the Eastbound 407 close to Bayview, a very nice sterling gray limited AWD, drove side-by-side for a couple hundred feet, any chance that was an explorer forum fellow member?

Went to Toronto from Detroit over the weekend, in the way in averaged about 21.5MPG with crosswinds and about 45ºF air ambient temp. Last evening on the way back averaged about 23.5MPG at around 60ºF air ambient temp.
Ex performed flawlessly, cannot detect A-pillar rattle (vehicle was built third week in February).
Toronto gas prices are about $5.20 /gallon for regular 87, so I was somewhat happy to have FWD...

Only saw two other Ex's the entire trip!

One was on Friday around 2:45 PM on the Eastbound 407 close to Bayview, a very nice sterling gray limited AWD, drove side-by-side for a couple hundred feet, any chance that was an explorer forum fellow member?

Can I ask how fast you drove? With/without cruise control? I am seeing a big difference in mileage between driving 65 and 75-80.

Can I ask how fast you drove? With/without cruise control? I am seeing a big difference in mileage between driving 65 and 75-80.
On the way to Toronto I was driving 70-75 MPH on the way back I was driving 65-70 MPH, so this definetly had an influence as well as ambient air temp.
Regarding cruise control, I used it sporadically, but I think you get the best fuel consumption when cruise control is not in use and you let the vehicle coast down on slight inclines by taking the foot off the accelerator.
I was not flooring the vehicle and my accelerations were very smooth and gradual, but even like that I could not achieve the stated 25 MPG on highway.
MY original average consumption were the displayed by the trip computer, I reset the computer on the way up and then again on the way back.

Vehicle is around at ~2,500 miles, so I am over the engine break-in period...

Back