Sirius Signal Drop Out | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sirius Signal Drop Out

Just came back from a road trip with six golfing buddies, the sirius radio worked perfect no drops out not even under an overpass when is was stuck in traffic on the return trip home. Looks like the problem is fixed...I really think it was Sirius the problem.
When was your trip?

It was better today, but still had a couple drops both in the morning and evening (in wide open spaces).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So - whatever was going on with Sirius must have gotten fixed, or sorted itself out.

Recent experience has been acceptable level of service.

Now, in an hour or so of driving, I get a couple momentary drops. It still seems like more drops than XM, but it's a different set of satellites, so that could be.

So - whatever was going on with Sirius must have gotten fixed, or sorted itself out.

Recent experience has been acceptable level of service.

Now, in an hour or so of driving, I get a couple momentary drops. It still seems like more drops than XM, but it's a different set of satellites, so that could be.

Same here, better then before but still getting signal drops couple times on the way to work while driving in wide open areas.

SIRIUS - No reception/signal drop

I have never had SIRIUS radio before, so when I bought the new Explorer... I was happy to finally enjoy satellite radio.

However, when I drive under a bridge...the radio looses reception. Always. I am talking about going under a normal sized freeway under-pass...where I can still get AM and FM to work, as well as continue to talk on my cell phone.

Is this usual?

Well, mostly. It is satellite radio, and unlike GPS where it caries information that short drop outs don't always show a lot of impact, satellite radio caries information you can hear and when the information stops it's obvious.

So going under a bridge where the data stream isn't stable will cause a loss of function. Both Sirius and XM took steps to minimize this by having terrestrial transmit towers in most major cities to assist when the satellite view is blocked. But compared to major FM stations their range is limited.

So yes. It's normal. I don't lose Sirius in downtown Kansas City even when I am in the bottom of our 8 story parking garage. But driving under some random bridge in the middle of nowhere Kansas will usually cause a minor interruption. All because of the difference between constant satellite and terrestrial assisted.

Hmmm. Well, I live right smack in the middle of Los Angeles. So... not sure why I lose signal so easily (at least compared to you) when driving under a bridge.

Oh well.

I can't get reception in my garage. Starts right up as soon as I back out. haven't noticed a problem traveling however.

Hmmm. Well, I live right smack in the middle of Los Angeles. So... not sure why I lose signal so easily (at least compared to you) when driving under a bridge.

I really am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Explorer Antenna. It has been noted elsewhere with problems with AM reception, and satellite reception.

Sirius and xm will always do that if you are in an area without terrestrial coverage. Just like with directv or dish, you need a clear view of the sky.

I had XM in my previous car and almost never had dropouts. I have them often now, especially under overpasses/bridges, where I never used to have the problem. I also know somebody with a Ford Escape, and the have frequent dropouts.

I believe my previous car had a better/longer buffer than Ford seems to use, or, a better antenna.

I've had Sirius for 8-9 years now. I lose reception under most bridges. Buy an Ipod :p: .

I really am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Explorer Antenna. It has been noted elsewhere with problems with AM reception, and satellite reception.

I was thinking the same thing especially if the GPS transceiver is in the antenna base.....would explain a lot...

I will ask when I go in this week to get v2.11

I was thinking the same thing especially if the GPS transceiver is in the antenna base.....would explain a lot...

I will ask when I go in this week to get v2.11

It was my understanding that in a previous thread someone called Sirius to complain and found out it was their service and that the customer rep had issues with her receiver (aftermarket) as well.

I personally think the issues with the channel browser and sirius signal are Sirius related (or mostly)

My last 3 vehicles all had Sirius or XM for 3-6 mos "free". ALL of them had dropped reception near over passes, heavily wooded areas, my garage, and sometimes in open areas.
I never renew the services..I use an iTouch.

Its not the Explorer antenna. Thats just how satelite radio is. I had it in my Taurus (Aftermarket kit), in my 92' X, (Same kit) and my moms Escape had it from the factory. Never got signal in the garage, nor underpasses, etc.

I can't get reception in my garage. Starts right up as soon as I back out. haven't noticed a problem traveling however.
My reception in the garage is intermittant, but like yours, it picks right up as soon as I back out.

I have 2.11 and it still happens to me when going underneath some larger but normal underpasses while on the freeway. You would think that MFT would be able to cache some of the Sirius radio. Even if it was only for 5 seconds it would prevent all my cutouts.

Its not the Explorer antenna. Thats just how satelite radio is. I had it in my Taurus (Aftermarket kit), in my 92' X, (Same kit) and my moms Escape had it from the factory. Never got signal in the garage, nor underpasses, etc.

I'm not so sure. Per Wikipedia:

"The Sirius signal is separated into three carriers, one each for the two satellites, and the third for the terrestrial repeater network ..... There is an intentional four-second delay between the two satellite carrier signals. This enables the receiver to maintain a large buffer of the audio stream, which, along with forward error correction, helps keep the audio playing in the event that the signal is temporarily lost, such as when driving under an overpass or otherwise losing line-of-sight of any of the satellites or ground repeater stations."

It worked that way before, since Sirius and XM changed there line-up( in May), now it cuts out when you pass under an overpass.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed - I've got Sirius in my BMW and now in our Explorer and both tend to drop signal going under an overpass. I will say though that Sirius seems to suffer from this more than XM. Our previous cars had XM in them and they seemed to maintain coverage better.

Back