• Register Today It's free!

Interior at Night

JohnnyDop

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited AWD
Can anyone comment on the what the dash and center look like at night?

Is it super bright?

Is it dimmable if needed?

Howdo you like the ambient lighting, if you have it?

Anyone got any good pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not think that it is too bright, but it can be dimmed.

I love the ambient lighting. You can dim the ambient lighting on the same screen that you change the color. There is a slider bar above the color selections. Slide to the left to dim or to the right to brighten.

I feel that the lighting is pretty bright at night, especially the MFT screen, but it can be dimmed - so that's good.

One thing I never seem to find out until after I buy the car is what buttons light up and what doesn't.

Most of the Explorer buttons light up, including the ones on the steering wheel and doors.

The ambient light is cool however I kind of wish the switch gear lights changed with the ambient.

The interior and dash lighting is very good. Ambient lighting is pretty cool, and has grown on me.

Anyone else notice how dim the red ambient lighting is? Seems every other color is fairly bright (and as already mentioned adjustable), but red is barely visible.

Probably something to do with the wavelength of the color and how it is perceived by the eye.

I have mine set on red and it is bright like the other colors.

I never noticed that red was any dimmer than the other colors.

Yeah and I really like it that I can completely turn off the Ambient lightning for when my kids being stubborn on falling asleep. We couldn't get him to pass out til I turned off the ambien lighting.

One thing I find really annoying is that there is no icon on the dash to indicate if the headlights are on or not.

Yeah that is really annoying.

One thing I find really annoying is that there is no icon on the dash to indicate if the headlights are on or not.

I never noticed that red was any dimmer than the other colors.

I looked around and did some research. Turns out that the red appears dimmer because of how our eyes function.

The human eye sees with structures called rods and cones. During the daytime we use the cones, but at night we use the rods to see.

"The most sensitive wavelength for rods is 505nm (blue-green). Thus, blue-green lights will generally look brighter at night than red lights."
http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml (American Optometric Association)

I looked around and did some research. Turns out that the red appears dimmer because of how our eyes function.

The human eye sees with structures called rods and cones. During the daytime we use the cones, but at night we use the rods to see.

"The most sensitive wavelength for rods is 505nm (blue-green). Thus, blue-green lights will generally look brighter at night than red lights."
http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml (American Optometric Association)

Your right, thats why in the Police Interceptors Ford puts a red bulb in the headliner interior lighting. So officers can turn on a red interior light at night and not ruin their night vision which can take up to 45 minutes to re-set after being blasted with white light at night

Thats why all night time lighting is red in aircraft also.

Thats why all night time lighting is red in aircraft also.

We also use the red lens light for Land Navigation/Map Reading at night and for light discipline when moving from our cozy tents to the pisser at 3am while our bladders are about to explode due to our boots being ice cold from the sweat still inside...all so we don't give away our position to the enemy.

I can't tell either. The Trailblzer Headlight Knob would light up so you would know when the auto lights were on. Now I find myself looking at the cup holders to see if they are lit up.

Yea, there were posts about this awhile back. Someone suggested leaving your fog lights on, because there IS an indicator for them. And they will only go on if your headlights switch on.

I agree that an indicator is very helpful and it was one of the first things I looked for. I use the Nav screen to tell me if the lights are on because it changes brightness and reverses the white and grey colours when the lights come on. Of course this is only helpful if you have the Nav screen displayed. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that an indicator is very helpful and it was one of the first things I looked for. I use the Nav screen to tell me if the lights are on because it changes brightness and reverses the white and grey colours when the lights come on. Of course this is only helpful if you have the Nav screen displayed. ;)

Only switches if its dark out. If there is enough light and raining, the lights come on and the nav stays white.

Back