• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer - Interior Lights

aleksh

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
Does anyone know how to turn off the interior dome lights when a door in the truck is opened?

I have 2 small children and the bright light is quite bothersome when they are sleeping at night and it comes on when i go to get them out.

Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know how to turn off the interior dome lights when a door in the truck is opened?

I have 2 small children and the bright light is quite bothersome when they are sleeping at night and it comes on when i go to get them out.

Any help appreciated.
Someone posted a thread a while ago asking basically the same question. I believe, but I'm not positive, that the conclusion was that there is no easy way of turning the lights off short of removing the fuse or the bulbs.

Found the thread. Entitled Turn Off Interior Lights posted 06-27-2011 by CTMom. Currently on page 12 of this forum.

Welcome to the 2011 Explorer Forum. :wavey:

Someone posted a thread a while ago asking basically the same question. I believe, but I'm not positive, that the conclusion was that there is no easy way of turning the lights off short of removing the fuse or the bulbs.

Found the thread. Entitled Turn Of Interior Lights posted 06-27-2011 by CTMom. Currently on page 12 of this forum.

Welcome to the 2011 Explorer Forum. :wavey:

This new X might be too advanced for its own good. Simple ###tions seem to be left out.

We do it NASCAR style, and egress right through the windows, after you take down the netting.

"I want to thank baby Jesus for my smoking hot wife, too":)

Any help appreciated.

Can you dim the lights at least?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calb
Can you dim the lights at least?

What do you have in mind?

Finally someone with a sense of humor!:chug:

+1

Thanks for the laugh!

I was a part of the thread about this the last time; I concur that there is no way to keep them from coming on.

We do it NASCAR style, and egress right through the windows, after you take down the netting.

"I want to thank baby Jesus for my smoking hot wife, too":)

Shake n Bake

Thanks Cal!

Interior Lights at the Drive In

I realize that the engineers didn't have this in mind, but it was impossible to watch a movie at the drive in with the hatch open and watcing out the back. I had to turn the truck around and watch through the windshield. Bummer!!!!!!!

I realize that the engineers didn't have this in mind, but it was impossible to watch a movie at the drive in with the hatch open and watcing out the back. I had to turn the truck around and watch through the windshield. Bummer!!!!!!!
Welcome to the Forum DrJoeyO.:wavey:
I haven't tried this but I think the lights would have turned off after 10 minutes as part of the battery saver program.
This is the first vehicle I've ever had in which you cannot dim or turn off the interior lights. :dunno:

Peter

I thought that would have happened as well but I had the accesory power on to run the radio for the drive in. Next time I'll bring a boom box and keep the power off. I see your from Canada. Are you watching the cup playoffs?

I thought that would have happened as well but I had the accesory power on to run the radio for the drive in. Next time I'll bring a boom box and keep the power off. I see your from Canada. Are you watching the cup playoffs?
Yes I am. Not really sure who to cheer for though. NJ has an ex Ottawa Senator on the team and their coach used to coach in the major junior 'A' league here in Ontario so I guess I'm leaning that way although it doesn't look too good for them right now.

Peter

Kings look tough. I'm pulling for them because of Dustin Brown. He's from Upstate NY so for similar reasons I'm pulling for them. Thanks for the imput on the lights. The explorer is well engineered but in this instance too much engineering.

Keep Interior Lights Off When Door is Opened

Is this possible in the 2014 Limited Explorer? Most cars have a switch where you can keep interior lights off when needed while the door is open.

My old Explorer had a switch. I accidentally turned it off and couldn't figure out why my lights wouldn't come on when I opened the door.

I know back in my youth, in the late 60's, when I went parking there was a little plunger that the door pressed against that worked the interior lights. Wanting to keep those lights off when I opened the door so we wouldn't be seen, I taped them down so the lights stayed off.

Youthful ingenuity! LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum jarettp.:wavey:
The only way to not have the lights come on when you open the door is to pull the fuse #12 for the "Courtesy Lamps".

Peter

Back