2011 Explorer - Interior Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer - Interior Lights

Is this possible?

Need some help here. We have a 2014 Explorer XLT. My woman typically leaves for her shift at the hospital in the 5am hour. She places our kids into the car for daycare and they are still asleep most times. Is it possible to keep those dome lights on the ceiling from coming on and waking up the kids? Our old GMC Terrian had a button on the dash to force all the lights off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if there's a switch, but you could pull the bulbs or disconnect the wiring at the dome.

Welcome to the Forum Dawn1982.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. You can turn them off but not using a switch. See my post #20 in this thread.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum jarettp.:wavey:
The only way to not have the lights come on when you open the door is to pull the fuse #12 for the "Courtesy Lamps".

Peter

Ok. So, no existing mechanical switch and no known software change to be made via the Ford IDS tool? So if this really comes down to interrupting fuse#12, then the only solution is to build a inline switch into that circuit right at the fuse panel. Has anybody done this yet? Maybe I will be the first.

Have you seem where that fuse interior panel is located? It is probably the most difficult place to get at. An inline switch should do the job, I think but it should be mounted in a place where you don't have to be a contortionist to get at it.

Peter

Have you seem where that fuse interior panel is located? It is probably the most difficult place to get at. An inline switch should do the job, I think but it should be mounted in a place where you don't have to be a contortionist to get at it.

Peter

I have not looked at all yet. They make fused extension kits for adding things like this. As long as I can get my hand to where its located its simple plug and play. Then just building the wire harness to control the switch. It will be mounted in a very user friendly location.

Does anyone know how to turn off the interior dome lights when a door in the truck is opened?

I have 2 small children and the bright light is quite bothersome when they are sleeping at night and it comes on when i go to get them out.

Any help appreciated.
It is possible to pull the fuse that controls them and they won't come on at all. But then neither will the puddle lights under the mirrors. The push on spots will still work.

Don't know why Ford doesn't give the opportunity to shut them off on demand. It is possible via the body computer in the police versions.

Why don't you just removed the light bulbs for the rear map/dome light? The one just over the kids.

Also, an another possible way, since the rear dome/map operate on the same bulb, you might be able to disconnect a wire that disables the dome function but still be able to use the map light function. If it is possible, the wire should be at the light housing itself.

You could have the dealer enable Dark Mode. This has to be done via computer at the dealer. This will prevent any interior lights from ever coming on, unless you manually turn them on. I have this enabled on my Ex, as I frequently get in and out of the car at night, and the interior lights are annoying.

Back