rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
I'm going to order some stronger axles front and rear early spring.
I have an 8.8 with C clips.
My question is just how important are these C-clip eliminators? I don't wheel the truck like a full time rock crawler since it's a DD also. But it does see some tuff stuff every so often. Are these C-clips as bad as some have made them out to be? Remember the rear of this chopped top B2 is light to begin with. Or should I just run after market stronger axles with C-clips?
I wonder how many of you guys that wheel their rigs have even broken C-clips?

First Question On another thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size tires are you going to be running? The 8.8 is a stout axle stock. I've seen them break, but not often at all. Most people will break their front D-35 or swapped D-44 over and over again without ever breaking the 8.8. If it were me I'd buy some stout replacement shafts and hold onto them as spares, you may wheel years without ever needing to swap them in.
That being said: If money were no issue go for it, you get two great benefits besides strength. A) You can swap the rear axle shafts without opening up the differential B) The rear wheel doesn't fall off if you break a rear axle.

The C-clips themselves aren't the problem but should you ever snap a shaft there's nothing the hold your shaft/wheel in place.
I had Currie put 9 inch big bearing ends on my 8.8. Now the shaft/wheel will be retained if disaster strikes. This is basically the same idea as an eliminator kit. It probably wouldn't take much to do this mod yourself but i'd just run it as is for now.

Every C-clip eliminator I've ever seen or read about has leaked. Get the housing ends replaced with 9" ends if you want an 8.8 with captured axles. (or DIY and save a few bucks.)

Great info guys. I like the idea of doing it yourself with the 9".
So it's not that the C-clip its self is the problem, it's the fact if the axle snaps it's coming out. Thanks for clearing that up.

The C-clips themselves aren't the problem but should you ever snap a shaft there's nothing the hold your shaft/wheel in place.

Run disc brakes. The shaft wont come out unless the caliper breaks off too. Sure its not ideal but you can limp back home with it.

Run disc brakes. The shaft wont come out unless the caliper breaks off too. Sure its not ideal but you can limp back home with it.

Interesting, the first 8.8 I installed had drums brakes. But then I found an 8.8 with discs that I've been running for some time now. So with all this info including how strong those stock 8.8 axles are and with the disc brakes for an added safety cushion. I really now think I can save the money and leave well enough alone.

I have read in the 4x4 rags that superior axle make an upgrade kit for the 8.8. It eliminates the c clip and makkes both axles the same length. It may be worth investigating.

Yukon also makes the same kit and a few years ago Ten Factory offered one but I don't believe they do anymore.

They all do the same thing though:

Depending on the kit it's up to 2" wider track width

Dual bolt patterns 5 x 4.5 or 5 on 5.5

Eliminates C-clips, you can pull the axleshafts without having to open the diff and pull the C-clip

Bigger bearings

Back