Modifications to the 'Top of the Engine'? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifications to the 'Top of the Engine'?

archlab

Reaction score
City, State
The ATL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 S/T & 1992 Navajo
Subject: 2001 4.0L Sport Trac - 200,800 miles.

I've got the makings of a serious Intake Mfld Water Jacket leak, so I'm looking at pulling off the stuff on the top & fixing this leak. Since I'll be in one of those 'might as well do it while it's off' situations, here's the question:

"What should I replace &/or modify to get better performance & economy?"

I do not think I'll be going any lower than pulling the Intake off of the block, but I could be convinced to go down to the Head Gaskets if the benefits are really compelling.

Bottom line: I don't want to do a full rebuild on this engine because I can probably get another Explorer/Sport Trac for the tiem &^ cost (or pretty dang close to it). So, the goal is to keep this beautiful beast going, say, another 30k-100k miles.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subject: 2001 4.0L Sport Trac - 200,800 miles.

I've got the makings of a serious Intake Mfld Water Jacket leak, so I'm looking at pulling off the stuff on the top & fixing this leak. Since I'll be in one of those 'might as well do it while it's off' situations, here's the question:

"What should I replace &/or modify to get better performance & economy?"

I do not think I'll be going any lower than pulling the Intake off of the block, but I could be convinced to go down to the Head Gaskets if the benefits are really compelling.

Bottom line: I don't want to do a full rebuild on this engine because I can probably get another Explorer/Sport Trac for the tiem &^ cost (or pretty dang close to it). So, the goal is to keep this beautiful beast going, say, another 30k-100k miles.

Thanks

engine swap with a lower mileage motor.

With the intakes being made from plastic composite material, I am not to sure there is much you can do other than port match the heads.

With the intakes being made from plastic composite material, I am not to sure there is much you can do other than port match the heads.
Yeah, I thought that porting might be in the mix. What about other things like throttle body mods, different injectors, electronics, etc,etc...

I've even thought about messing around w/ a Hydrogen Generator (don't laugh). My Mom the Chemistry Teacher says that I'll blow myself up.

There are no mods, there is no aftermarket support. The motor is a dog.

dont 5.0L injectors fit a 4.0L?

Windsors03cobra, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I dont see where it says what engine archlab is running, OHV or OHC. But I'm here to tell you, the 4.0 OHV is not a dog. I have a 96 XLT ( for whatever difference that makes) with the 4.0 OHV. I do not pull a trailer with it, as in my opinion it is not abig enough truck, but for everyday driving I am completely satisfied with the torque, and fuel mileage. This truck pulls hills in overdrive that a lot of V8's won't. Of course,the big difference is, I am 65, drove class 8 trucks for years, and if I want a hot rod, I wont use the Ex.

There oughta be something out there....

....doesn't have to mean buying a lot of hot-roddin' stuff. There have got to be a few modifications (& I'm talking no, or low dollar types). I gotta believe that with, what, maybe 1Million 4.0L engines out there, somebody's bound to have asked themselves "how do I get some more out of this thing?'

Snoranger, WELL EXCUSE THE **** OUT OF ME!!!!!!

While you have the intake manifolds off take off the valve covers and advance the cam timing. 5 Degrees is good.

Windsors03cobra, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I dont see where it says what engine archlab is running, OHV or OHC. But I'm here to tell you, the 4.0 OHV is not a dog. I have a 96 XLT ( for whatever difference that makes) with the 4.0 OHV. I do not pull a trailer with it, as in my opinion it is not abig enough truck, but for everyday driving I am completely satisfied with the torque, and fuel mileage. This truck pulls hills in overdrive that a lot of V8's won't. Of course,the big difference is, I am 65, drove class 8 trucks for years, and if I want a hot rod, I wont use the Ex.

Nothing wrong with the 4.0 cam in block IMO, its the OHC's thats are the real doggs. Neither 4.0 will pull a hill in OD or a trailer like its 5.0 counterpart.

All 4.0's are OHV, cam in block or OHC. One has 3 cams and atleast 3 chains and the other has 1 cam and 1 chain. One is reliable and one is a POS. Both trace their roots to the 70's. I report, you decide.

Class 8 trucks rule. If it aint a Cat, its a dog. :salute:

My, we're very technical arent we. Believe it or not, I know where the cams are located. I have built a few engines in my day. I am just damn glad I have the OHV engine. Oh, I'm sorry, cam in block engine. And any damn fool knows the V6, as used in the Explorer, wont pull with the V8. I am just relating my experiences with my Ex verses my 86 F150 with 302,and Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8. And I agree, the C15 or the 3406E are good engines. But the Cummins M11 @ 330 hp, pulling 80,000lbs up a 6% grade has a lot of grunt for its size. Still cant match the C15@475hp, but you wouldn't expect it to. Back in theday when I first started driving trucks, we were happy to have a turbo on a Cummins 250, making it a 270. So its all relative. Or, dont send a child to do a mans job.

Finally, some relevant info!

While you have the intake manifolds off take off the valve covers and advance the cam timing. 5 Degrees is good.

At last, somebody has read the question! Good on ya Mate! Leave it to Oz to come through w/ some good info.
Thank you.

Snoranger, WELL EXCUSE THE **** OUT OF ME!!!!!!

Sorry, Dude...
I'm starting to find out that there's a lot of chips on a lot of shoulders in this Forum. Why is that?

Archlab, there are some who think they have to expound on their intelligence, and show the world they are smarter than everyone else. I dont have a "chip on my shoulder", I just try to help where possible. Please reread my first answer to your original post. But on the other hand, I dont appreciate being made to feel like I'm an idiot by these know it alls. I have been around a few years, and believe it or not, have learned a few things. Read some other posts where I have expressed my appreciation because someone has told me about somethingthat I did not know,try the post about buzzing when the turn signals are used. I dont get on here to tell everyone what they must do to their truck, or which engine is best. I get on here to answer questions that I know the answer to, or give you myopinion. If you dont likemy answer, dont pay attention to it. But, I will damn sure defend myself.

Archlab, there are some who think they have to expound on their intelligence, and show the world they are smarter than everyone else. I dont have a "chip on my shoulder", I just try to help where possible. Please reread my first answer to your original post. But on the other hand, I dont appreciate being made to feel like I'm an idiot by these know it alls. I have been around a few years, and believe it or not, have learned a few things. Read some other posts where I have expressed my appreciation because someone has told me about somethingthat I did not know,try the post about buzzing when the turn signals are used. I dont get on here to tell everyone what they must do to their truck, or which engine is best. I get on here to answer questions that I know the answer to, or give you myopinion. If you dont likemy answer, dont pay attention to it. But, I will damn sure defend myself.

PM sent...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread was depressing to read...just saying. It turned from one guy asking a question into a few people going at each other. Sorry that no one was able to really help yet ('cept Sedition). Normally everyone on here is really nice and helpful. Maybe they missed their coffee this morning, I'm not sure. :dunno:
Hopefully though people will show up with some good ideas! Then I can read through something a little more interesting, rather than some guys measuring their knowledge.

Back