• Register Today It's free!

Hidden Sub Box in 03 Sport

RebelRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottetown, PE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Ive been driving around with the stock stereo all summer and i was really starting to miss having a decent system, so today I finally made some progress in the box building department. I've been tossing around several different box designs for a while but nothing seemed to be very practical. It's going in an explorer sport 2dr, so I have very little cargo space as it is so I couldn't sacrifice any room back there. I finally decided to go with a hidden box, built into the side panel in the cargo area. Here's what I've done so far.

IMG-20121006-01183.jpg
(popped out the storage pocket and trim ring)
IMG-20121006-01188.jpg
(front side)
IMG-20121006-01189.jpg
(back side)
IMG-20121006-01191.jpg
(set in place, temporarily)

I still have a bit of work to do before I have any boom, but it will all come together eventually. After the box is done I have to find a good place to mount my amps(have to get creative here), swap in my speakers, and run all my wires.

Oh, and here's a quick rundown on the system going in:
Pioneer DEH series head unit
Single 10" Infinity Kappa sub
Infinity reference 6x8 speakers all around
MTX TC 6001 amp running sub
Kicker ZX350.4 amp running speakers
Stinger wiring

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, that is a work of art :thumbsup:

Thanks man!

That is a good show of workmanship! Any update?

I have something smiilar, where are you going to put your amps? I had my sub amp under the passenger seat but now I have a power passenger seat and I'm pretty sure it wont fit there now. Any ideas? I really dont want to put it where it will get ruined by all my camping gear I put in the back.

That's looks terrific. Definitely better than the stock plastic bubble tank.

What did the internal volume of the box end up being? Any chance you could provide the box's outer dimensions?

That is a good show of workmanship! Any update?

Sorry to leave yas hanging, I haven't been on here for a bit with the holidays and work being so busy lately....

I got the box installed last weekend and most of my wires run, but I ran out of daylight before I could finish (driveway project). I need to ground my amp, run my remote wire and connect my power wires. I'll finish it tomorrow and snap some pics of the finished product.

I have something smiilar, where are you going to put your amps? I had my sub amp under the passenger seat but now I have a power passenger seat and I'm pretty sure it wont fit there now. Any ideas? I really dont want to put it where it will get ruined by all my camping gear I put in the back.
For now I'm only going to run one amp and it's just going in the back on the floor, but in the summer I'll be putting it inside the rear drivers side panel(across from the sub). It will be hidden inside the panel so I might have to put some cooling fans in to keep it from overheating, maybe a vent, not sure yet. When I swap my speakers I'll hook up the 2nd amp and it will likely go under the passenger seat up front.

That's looks terrific. Definitely better than the stock plastic bubble tank.

What did the internal volume of the box end up being? Any chance you could provide the box's outer dimensions?

My internal volume ended up being about .70 cf. I don't remember the exact external dimensions off hand, but it's approx 28"long, 16" tall, 5.5-6" deep (bottom), 4" deep (top). If I can find my sketches I'll post some more detailed info, maybe a pic or two.

I ended up putting the box and the amp in the passenger side rear panel and it fit nice. I put some rubber between the frame and amp to help with vibrations. Works well and its clean and out of the way.

sub_installed_zpse5e3e39d.jpg

sub_Final_zps3c2ab192.jpg

:thumbsup: Looking to do the same in my Sport next summer. I'm anxious to know what happens with the amp and ventilation because I wanted to put it in next to the sub, but am a little confused as to how to ventilate it, if it even needs it. This'll be my first install so I'm trying to pick up as much info as I can. Stellar job so far!

I was contemplating amp placement behind the panel in my 96, but always worried about overheating during summer. Overheating has not been an issue under the driver side rear seat.

My internal volume ended up being about .70 cf. I don't remember the exact external dimensions off hand, but it's approx 28"long, 16" tall, 5.5-6" deep (bottom), 4" deep (top). If I can find my sketches I'll post some more detailed info, maybe a pic or two.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. If you have those sketches it would be pretty awesome, but if not you've at least given me a starting point for how to shape the box. This will be my first time building a sub box that isn't a cube, so working with such a small space is a bit new to me.

No problem. I didnt find my sketches yet, I know I have them buried in a folder somewhere...they'll turn up.
I found it easiest to pull the panel off and measure everything out from there, it gives you a good idea of the shape you need to build.

Update: got everything hooked up last weekend. Sounds great, but I have a couple nasty rattles to deal with now. I didn't put the trim piece back on yet because it's not done yet, but at least everything is functional if not pretty. Also have to erase those lines on the panel, they were part of my plan B.
IMG-20130111-01409.jpg

Truck is dirty, carpet isn't fully tucked, and I'm missing some pins... I know... It'll all be fixed.
In the meantime, here's some more pics.
IMG-20121022-01206.jpg

IMG-20121022-01205.jpg

IMG-20121022-01204.jpg

IMG-20121029-01218.jpg

IMG-20121029-01220.jpg

And a few more.
IMG-20121031-01235.jpg

IMG-20121031-01236.jpg

IMG-20121101-01237.jpg

How'd this turn out? Any more finished product pictures? Did you cut out the panel to make room for the speaker? It looks like it's covering it. Also did you have any sort of grill to protect it?

Back