Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and MFT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and MFT

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Is it just my wife's phone, or does Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich not play nice with MFT? More specifically the MAP support seems partially broken. When my wife's phone had Android 2.3 Gingerbread, texting worked perfectly. Now that the phone has been upgraded to 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, it can send texts through MFT, but when receiving them, nothing happens on MFT.

Just curious if anybody else has seen this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question for you Rebecca:

Can the MAP functionality be turned off in MFT? Some other users of the NON-MFT SYNC have reported success with turning off the MAP profile - their phones then work fine (much like my WP8 phone does - which lacks the BT MAP profile - with the phone doing the text messaging heavy lifting with MFT/SYNC handling it just like an incoming call).

I have a Nexus and yea ICS doesn't support MAP but many ROMs do (XenonHD/JBSorcery/CM9-10 or anything Kang'd from CM). MotoBlur and I think Sense also supports MAP.

Don't think you can turn off MAP on the newer versions of MFT.

Quick question for you Rebecca:

Can the MAP functionality be turned off in MFT? Some other users of the NON-MFT SYNC have reported success with turning off the MAP profile - their phones then work fine (much like my WP8 phone does - which lacks the BT MAP profile - with the phone doing the text messaging heavy lifting with MFT/SYNC handling it just like an incoming call).

Hi, Vince!

MAP cannot be turned off on MFT. :/

Rebecca

Is it just my wife's phone, or does Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich not play nice with MFT? More specifically the MAP support seems partially broken. When my wife's phone had Android 2.3 Gingerbread, texting worked perfectly. Now that the phone has been upgraded to 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, it can send texts through MFT, but when receiving them, nothing happens on MFT.

Just curious if anybody else has seen this issue?

I have the same issue with my Galaxy Note. Ever since I received the ICS upgrade, it hasn't worked very well. I've seen many others complaining about this as well in other forums after they upgraded to ICS.

My work is providing me with a Galaxy Note 2 today since my company I work for changed to Verizon. I will pick up the phone after work and let you know how Jelly Bean works just in case you're in the market for a new phone or your wife's phone gets the Jelly Bean update soon.

Thanks for the replies everybody! We appreciate the feedback :)

I have droid razor maxx. When ICS was loaded, map & text being read by mft stopped working. Since then, I uninstalled pandora & reinstalled it & the mandatory mog audio app the reloaded on own as well. Some how it is back to working again. But some of phone apps updated automatically as well so who knows for sure how it was fixed.

On verizon if that matters.

Have not upgraded to latest MFT (3.5). But did install 3.2 few months ago.

My S3 with 4.0.2 ICS does not play well with MFT.

So, I kept changing settings on the phone trying to get the text function working, and for other reasons, I deleted my wife's phone pairing and repaired it with MFT (I did this to change the name that MFT displayed for the phone, which I finally was able to find on her phone!).

Well, guess what works now without issue? The texting. We got into her car today and a text message popped up. That was a surprise! Then we sent one from my phone to her phone, and it worked fine again. I was even able to respond with one of the canned messages using voice commands.

One thing I found curious is that even though I renamed her phone, I had to delete it from MFT and re-pair it for the new name to appear. So that got me thinking... I had been changing settings on her phone left and right trying to get the texting working, but had not re-paired the phone. My conclusion, drawn from the fact that the texting now works after re-pairing the phone is this: MFT and the phone exchange settings only when the two are freshly paired and changes to the settings on the phone won't take effect until the two are re-paired.

Hope this might help some of those having issues. When I get the chance, I'll look at the settings on her phone and post them to see if it helps anybody else to get things working.

Also, since re-pairing, her contact photos now display in the phone book screen (before, only the caller ID photos worked). Go figure.... :)

So, I kept changing settings on the phone trying to get the text function working, and for other reasons, I deleted my wife's phone pairing and repaired it with MFT (I did this to change the name that MFT displayed for the phone, which I finally was able to find on her phone!).

Well, guess what works now without issue? The texting. We got into her car today and a text message popped up. That was a surprise! Then we sent one from my phone to her phone, and it worked fine again. I was even able to respond with one of the canned messages using voice commands.

One thing I found curious is that even though I renamed her phone, I had to delete it from MFT and re-pair it for the new name to appear. So that got me thinking... I had been changing settings on her phone left and right trying to get the texting working, but had not re-paired the phone. My conclusion, drawn from the fact that the texting now works after re-pairing the phone is this: MFT and the phone exchange settings only when the two are freshly paired and changes to the settings on the phone won't take effect until the two are re-paired.

Hope this might help some of those having issues. When I get the chance, I'll look at the settings on her phone and post them to see if it helps anybody else to get things working.

Also, since re-pairing, her contact photos now display in the phone book screen (before, only the caller ID photos worked). Go figure.... :)

Vince,
Where did you go in your wife's S3 to change the name of her phone that MFT will display. Mine says something along the lines of SGHM-I74x or something to that tune.

:thumbsup: Vince!

Vince,
Where did you go in your wife's S3 to change the name of her phone that MFT will display. Mine says something along the lines of SGHM-I74x or something to that tune.

A lot of Android phones allow you to change the name under Bluetooth Settings, KanewtZ.

Rebecca

Vince,

Hey KanewtZ!

My wife has a Droid 4 (on Verizon). I can't remember off the top of my head exactly where I found the phone name to change, but I will check it out when she comes home tonight and post how to get there. ICS changed up where the change is made, and it is no longer an obvious choice on the Bluetooth settings page like in previous Android versions.

Okay, to rename your phone:

1. Get to your Settings page
2. Select Bluetooth
3. On the Bluetooth settings page, press the Menu button (the 3 little lines, it's the button to the left of the 'Home' button on my wife's phone - I assume the placement is the same for all Android phones).
4. A little sub-menu will pop-up from the bottom of the screen, the top option of which is 'Rename Phone'.
5. Press it, and a little window will come up where you can rename the phone.

Hope that helps :)

In trying to figure out what settings I changed, I can't remember which ones I switched around. I monkeyed around with it so much that I have no idea what I did, or if I did anything that specifically helped.

If I come across anything, I will post back here :)

When I had the galaxy s2, then htc one s (both had ics)...I had issues, especially with the bluetooth staying connected....I now have the galaxy note 2 with jelly bean and no issues at all....it even shows the profile picture of the person calling/texting.

I re-paired Jennifer's phone again tonight after changing another unrelated setting, and when I did a test text, my name and picture popped up. Cool. Before, it just put the phone number up.

One thing I will add is that I have been reverse pairing the phone the last couple of times. Maybe that is what has everything working as it should??

Well, my wife reports that the texting is no longer working. Oh well, I give up. I'll try again when everything is updated, maybe that will help...

Well, it is working again, lol. Works more than it doesn't. No changes have been made to the phone and haven't re-paired it so I am not sure who the culprit is. Nothing on either system should have changed, other than MFT maybe doing reboots behind the scenes. Who knows. Not going to worry about it until after updating to 3.5.1.

Back