Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

OK, My parts have finally come in (Airaid 451-260). I installed it about an hour ago(I took pictures but it is the same as the other guys on page 2)and I made a video of the sound before and after. One thing I do not like is there isn't much slack in the air temp sensor line, and Airaid decided to have the insert at the top of the intake instead of the side where it belongs. Not much noticeable of a sound sitting and revving in the driveway. I did take it around the block a few times and did notice a little bit of sound while driving. I will see tomorrow how it drives as I head to the mountain.
Now I have to get an exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I find it to have a little more response when touching the pedal. I can hear it sucking air more now. I don't hear the turbos, they are just too small. I drive turbo diesels everyday and you can really hear them. I hear the exhaust burping a little every once in a while when I was going up some steep mountain roads. But all in all its ok. I'm glad I didn't spend more the 230 on it.

Jarhead,

I agree with your assessment. Seems a little more responsive, though I don't know if its because of the computer resetting after disconnecting the battery. Can barely hear the turbos. I had an episode yesterday. Was at a T intersection turning right onto the main road. Pulled out aggressively, and then the engine light came on and started flashing and it drove very sluggish and rough like it was in "limp home" mode. Pulled into a parking lot and turned it off and then back on and POOF! It was back to normal. Hasn't happened since. All cables still attached. I think it might have gotten too lean. I think that with an exhaust and good tune might be more impressive gains

I didn't reset my computer. So if you did and I didn't we have problems either way.. I just did some aggressive city driving just now and I agree I think the fuel air mix is off now. I am getting more and more burps, almost like back pressure. There seems to be some hesitation at times, like its bogged out.

Jarhead,

I agree with your assessment. Seems a little more responsive, though I don't know if its because of the computer resetting after disconnecting the battery. Can barely hear the turbos. I had an episode yesterday. Was at a T intersection turning right onto the main road. Pulled out aggressively, and then the engine light came on and started flashing and it drove very sluggish and rough like it was in "limp home" mode. Pulled into a parking lot and turned it off and then back on and POOF! It was back to normal. Hasn't happened since. All cables still attached. I think it might have gotten too lean. I think that with an exhaust and good tune might be more impressive gains

Here I found this... I know its not ecoboost but it has to do with Airaid and bogging.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=420288

I have to run to work, I read more about it later.

I havent had any issues with the k&n yet. I didnt reset my computer when I installed it either. Did you guys happen to go over all your factory hose clamps on your charge pipes and over all turbo piping? I found severAl factory clamps that were pretty loose all around the engine bay. Maybe not loose enough to cause an issue but I was able to put a complete turn on a few of them.

I havent had any issues with the k&n yet. I didnt reset my computer when I installed it either. Did you guys happen to go over all your factory hose clamps on your charge pipes and over all turbo piping? I found severAl factory clamps that were pretty loose all around the engine bay. Maybe not loose enough to cause an issue but I was able to put a complete turn on a few of them.

I did go over all the hose clamps under the hood.

Did an install on a Sport and a few things stuck out..One the IAT sensor harness is too short for where Airaid has it mounted in the Inlet. Sure you can pull the wiring but it is very very tight to where it pulls on the sensor and possibly let air in. I just relocated the main harness on the other side of that plastic inlet tube and it fits fine now. The other issue was how loose the IAT sensor fit in the plastic inlet. All in all I think it's a good mod.

do you think vibration will loosen it?

do you think vibration will loosen it?

I think with the harness pulled that tight it could pull the sensor some. The sensor won't come out because it has a flat washer and screw that holds it in.

All I did is pull one of the white clips out above the fans to make more slack in the wiring for the air temp sensor. I mentioned this was a flaw last week when I installed. I decided to keep mine in and not switch it back to stock. I did some real aggressive manual driving around town and highway again yesterday and unless I throw a code it's staying in.

All I did is pull one of the white clips out above the fans to make more slack in the wiring for the air temp sensor. I mentioned this was a flaw last week when I installed. I decided to keep mine in and not switch it back to stock. I did some real aggressive manual driving around town and highway again yesterday and unless I throw a code it's staying in.
use a scanguage?

Even with the white clip pulled out the harness was still to tight for my liking so I rerouted the main harness around that plastic air inlet tube. There is actually some play in the IAT harness now.

Intake

Injen Technology is prototyping an intake on my Explorer Sport right now. I dropped it off Monday and is ready today at 4:00 for pick-up. Im not an elite member so I'm not sure if I can post pics. I can repost later tonight with the results.

Injen Technology is prototyping an intake on my Explorer Sport right now. I dropped it off Monday and is ready today at 4:00 for pick-up. Im not an elite member so I'm not sure if I can post pics. I can repost later tonight with the results.
I have tested theri products before and typically have had mixed results

That'd be sick. I have Injen intake and intercooler pipes on my Evo and love them.

You should post up pictures...

Just picked up my 2013 Explorer Sport today and found the site through a Google search for CAI's, yeah the mod bug bit me on the way home from the dealership..:D

Here's a link to the Injen intake photo they prototyped on my sport.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1166...ms/5834597939919930289?authkey=CNvcqZmlr57rDw

Adrian said it will be ready for orders in a few days.

I've only ever put Injen intakes on my vehicles, I currently have their CAI on my wife's Camaro too. This looks great, I wonder if they are going to add a heat shield though? (though I doubt there is much heat on that corner of the engine bay).

Thanks for posting!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a SRI and based on design looks like it should work well for a low end gains

Back