Replaced O ring in T case, now no reverse??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced O ring in T case, now no reverse???

Jeff00000168

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4.0 SOHC XLT 4X4
So, I had the O ring in my transfer case replaced this morning cause it was leaking. I have a 98 4.0 SOHC 4X4 by the way. Picked it up at the shop this afternoon and as I got home, tried backing up in the driveway and nothing. It seemed like it was engaging with that little thud that you hear when reverse is engaged but upon reving, it's like in neutral??? I tried the manual 1st gear forward and it works. All gears work normal and smooth but reverse. I called the shop that did my T-case and they couldn't figure it out so I'm taking it back to them in the morning. Transmission fluid is in normal level too.

I don't know if the shop F'd it up cause I called as soon as I got home about 10 minutes when I left and told them the situation and they were like "I don't know, we reversed it out of the garage, test drove it and everything seemed fine". I like how they parked my truck facing towards the street where I didn't need to put it on reverse before I left. I mean, these guys are pros and if i told them stuff like "no reverse and all gears works fine", i'm pretty sure they could've given me some answer rather than I don't know. I just paid $120 for the O ring in T-case replaced (i think it's still leaking, i just checked underneat nut not sure yet cause it's snowing here and will see in the morning on the garage floor to make sure). $100 for serpenting belt cause they said that the way it looks it's gonna break in a couple of days then calls me back after an hour saying that my tensioner needs to be replaced too, for $80, cause it's causing the serpentine belt to slide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I'm pretty sure that is a transfer case leak right there. Right above the fill plug and
underneath the rear drive shaft. Looks like it wasn't the O ring that was leaking.

16106516_large.jpg

16106515_large.jpg

I've been reading a lot of threads with "no reverse issue" and most of them hear a loud bang or thud right before ruining their transmission. I never heard a loud bang or thud upon shifting from drive to reverse when i tried to back up to my driveway. FYI, I always make a full stop when shifting from drive to reverse and vise versa.

The truck is still in the shop today and they are trying to figure it out. Not electrical they said and gonna do the pressure test on the transmission now. Hopefully, this will be an easy fix :( #notahappycamperrightnowbutmyglassisalwayshalffull

Shift fork in the t-case has guides that go bad and when you shift in reverse it slips in a "neutral" position. It can happen if the case is opened then not put back together properly also.

Shift fork in the t-case has guides that go bad and when you shift in reverse it slips in a "neutral" position. It can happen if the case is opened then not put back together properly also.

Thanks for the response dexploder! I'm like whining here replying to my own posts lol! I just got my truck from the shop. Good news is that they replaced the seal on my transfer case that was leaking and free of charge. Bad news is that they don't specialize in transmission so they referred me to one of their friends who does transmissions and said that they said it's definitely the reverse band and want $1,600 to rebuild it with a 12 month warranty. I already knew I was screwed when he said he was doing some research earlier cause they couldn't figure out what the problem was. I'm gonna take it to my boss' mechanic who works at an professional transmission shop. Hopefully it's the shift fork. I told my boss the situation yesterday and he called his mechanic and the mechanic said to return the truck to the shop that replaced the seal of my transfer case and make sure everything is back in place. They really didn't do anything yesterday because they were backed up and my truck was parked outside the whole time when my friend drove by their shop. Then today, I think the only thing they did was use a scanner to diagnose. I'm not even sure if they checked the transmission for pressure. I'm really doubting them cause even in my bill they have this "53 pt. safety and maintenance inspection" thing and my transfer case was still leaking when i got home and "no reverse" on top of that. I had to show him the pic from my phone to see where the leak was. The thing that really upset me was the fact that they didn't even bother to call me for updates. The only day they called was the first day to tell me that something's wrong with this, we found the culprit, you need a new this and you're car is ready for pick up. 2nd and 3rd day they didn't even bother to call me, i had to call. I missed 3 days of work. So, tomorrow i'm driving my truck to work. Is it safe to be driving it around with the reverse not working?

I just bought some new BFG Mud-terrains KM2's too about a month ago so I'm really leaning towards to fixing my truck. Besides, I can't really afford a new car or monthly payments right now lol!

Like delexploder said, I would check out the t-case first before ripping into the tranny. Like you said you heard and felt nothing. Unless it happened while at the shop and they won't admit it, it sounds suspect.

Like delexploder said, I would check out the t-case first before ripping into the tranny. Like you said you heard and felt nothing. Unless it happened while at the shop and they won't admit it, it sounds suspect.

I know right! I scheduled an appointment at the transmission shop for tomorrow. I found out today too that my transmission was leaking on the side of the pan. Looks like a gasket problem or the previous mechanic didn't seal it tight enough when they checked it out. They said it's a reverse band problem. So I called the previous shop just right and told them that "I was gonna take it to a professional transmission place tomorrow and was wondering cause my transmission case is leaking now and wanted to know if you guys opened it to see what the problem was so I can tell the professional mechanic what happened so we can resolve the issue easier". Now he's saying that they didn't even touch the transmission. Unbelievable!!! It's not like I was going to take it back to them or sue them lol! I've been patient, calm and polite to them fyi. It's just so annoying how his story changes every time. I really didn't want to call them but I needed to know what happened since all this happened while it was in the shop. I will just have to explain everything to the professional mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be a easy fix and cheap (which I doubt lol!) but will keep everyone posted. I have 186,000 miles on my truck and transmission needs to be rebuilt any time soon anyway.

Back