No crank issue 2004 EX

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi guys,

I have a no crank issue on a 2004 Explorer 4.6L .

I have changed the blower motor relay with the start relay and still no go. I can start the car by putting the key in the on position and jumping the starter solenoid with a screw driver ( S post and Bat. post on solenoid )

Before I crawl under the car and pull the starter, I would like to check and make sure I have power to the relay itself. and try (if i can ) to jump the relay at the power dist. box to confirm it is not a faulty connection between the relay and solenoid.

I do not have a wiring diagram and need to know how I can check this ?

Many Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it sounds like your starter is just fine (since the truck starts). So it must be something else.

When you jump the starter solenoid you are basically bypassing the Starter Relay. You swapped this out to prove the relay is actually good.

The only thing require by the wiring diagrams to energize the Starter Relay is:

1. Fuse 29 in in the fuse box (inside cab) good.
2. Transmission in park or neutral.
3. Powertrain Control Module providing ground.

Also, fuse 12 in the power distribution box under the hood must be good.

You can pull the relay and confirm 12 VDC hot on terminal 85.
You need to confirm ground on terminal 86.

Everything checked out in the power distrubution box, so I proceeded to jack the vehicle up and pull the starter.

When I got under there I found that the 14ga. trigger wire for the solenoid had broken at the ring terminal. I double checked to make sure I had good voltage at the end of the wire when keyed to the start position, soldered on a new ring terminal and all is Happy Happy, Joy Joy. :)

Many Thanks for the info and the quick reply

Had similar if not same issue on my 03 Explorer about 2 years ago. I was very happy like you to find it was a simple wire connector breakage. Good when you win once in awhile isn't it?

Yes, it does feel good to have a simple fix. :)

I just wish Ford would of left the solenoid on the fender where it belongs.

Back