• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer XLT HID Problem...

1mperial

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 4.0
I just came into ownership of a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0.
I bought some HIDs for it, installed them, and they don't work...(on the truck)
I checked the ballasts and bulbs on my old car, and they all function fine.

When I install them on the Explorer, I install one side completely, check it, and it works fine.
When I install the second bulb & ballast, and go to turn on the lights, they do not work. Not even my fog lights which are regular non HID bulbs.

My wife has a 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0. The same thing happens on her car.

Has anyone had this same problem? Does this set up require a relay? What am I doing wrong?

inb4: search noob, etc.... I did, nothing came up. I am bad at searching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive installed hid bulbs and ballasts into the stock housing with no problem. both lit up fine. they sucked because the factory housing isnt set up for an hid bulb though. now i put a different housing set up with all new bulbs and leds.. had to do some splicing but it all lit up just fine.. back to you though
so when you put your lights back to factory does it work? then you swap in the hid bulbs it doesnt? are you sure its wired correctly and are you using a ballast that converts the dc current to ac? because the hid bulbs needs more than 12volts to light properly.
have you checked at the bulp for power with a test light? checked fuses?

ive installed hid bulbs and ballasts into the stock housing with no problem. both lit up fine. they sucked because the factory housing isnt set up for an hid bulb though. now i put a different housing set up with all new bulbs and leds.. had to do some splicing but it all lit up just fine.. back to you though
so when you put your lights back to factory does it work? then you swap in the hid bulbs it doesnt? are you sure its wired correctly and are you using a ballast that converts the dc current to ac? because the hid bulbs needs more than 12volts to light properly.
have you checked at the bulp for power with a test light? checked fuses?

Checked all of that. When I switch back to factory bulbs, it works fine.

Use a relay. If they're not getting enough voltage to ignite, they won't work.

Did any of you even read the first post? Seriously? jfc...
Everything is in working order, UNTIL I INSTALL BOTH BULBS.
Relays ended up fixing the issue.
Thanks for nothing.

Did any of you even read the first post? Seriously? jfc...
Everything is in working order, UNTIL I INSTALL BOTH BULBS.
Relays ended up fixing the issue.
Thanks for nothing.

I'm pretty sure watt9836 correctly answered your question. "Thanks for nothing?"

Are you using stock housings?

If so, you are doing everyone else on the road a huge disservice by blinding them with a huge amount of unfocused light.

The optics required for a HID bulb are different than for a halogen.

Back