• Register Today It's free!

Hid light installation

brotherx

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Expedition
Hey guys, Im going to install some H.I.D lights soon and I was wondering, what is the difference between HID kits and just the bulb? Do I need new wires and everything , or can i just replace the bulb?

Thanks guys!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hid is high intensity discharge, basically the bulb is filled with xenon gas, and yes you need new wires.

the little hid bulbs you see on ebay, arent real hid, they are just blue normal bulbs that look like hid, but not as bright... in other words useless.

but if you want real hid's then you need a full kit, which consists of real hid bulbs, and all the wiring. about $150 im guessing. the wiring provides a different voltage and amperage to the lights, which makes them able to function correctly.

so you have to re-wire it, and replace the bulbs.
if you need more info let me know.
good luck

Riley pretty much nailed it. A few more notes to emphasize though... You will be replacing your bulb as well as installing two ballast tanks - one for each lamp. Our application is plug-and-play, so it should be an easy project. Also, unless you buy a high and low beam bulb (both in the same bulb) you will lose your high beams... not that it matters though with how much light these put out. I would advise adjusting your headlamps to face as far down as possible because your lamps are not designed for this intensity. What temperature (color) are you leaning towards?

Also, you aren't necessarily replacing wires, just adding new ones. The factory power source that normally plugs into the back of a halogen bulb is redirected into the HID cycle.

Hey guys, Im actually going to have to put off the hid install until later, sorry! Everyone else that i have talked to are saying in the $600-$800 range, is that true?

Absolutely not. I got my set for $80, which included two ballasts, two 6K bulbs and all the necessary wiring. I have no idea if my kit is from a reputable brand or not, but that should give you an idea of how much these kits should cost.

ROFL $600-$800?! What are they gold plated and make grilled cheese for you on command? The most expensive light anything, in terms of headlights, would be a projector housing mod, which runs in the range of $300-$400. I got my set of 4300k from www.vvme.com for around $120 shipped from China. They've been in for around 6 months now and haven't had any issues with them, just take your time on the install, and DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS!

Whatever you do, make sure you take the time to aim/focus them correctly. Our stock and aftermarket headlight housings (short of the projector offerings) scatter light all over the place. Think of others.

ROFL $600-$800?! What are they gold plated and make grilled cheese for you on command?

I'm sorry, but he's correct. That is about the price a PROPER retrofit costs. I would highly recommend you spend some time here before you attempt this:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

I would also recommend time spent in our Lighting Forum.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Next, Celly is dead on the money. To put true HID's into a stock housing is going to kill someone. They scatter light all over the place and will blind oncoming traffic. That is why you see HID's in projectors. They provide the proper cutoff. The cheapest set up I've seen are a housing with projector in the $200 range. A good HID kit (Mine was Philips) was $200. That is dirt cheap for true projector HID's. Just make sure you don't get scammed by all the folks trying to sell Philips, Hella, etc when they aren't.

You can buy Acura, S2000, Lexus projectors and retro fit them to your stock housing. P51 did that and made a great thread on it in the Lighting section. I believe he had almost $800 in his...which sounds about right.

Keep in mind that 4300K is about as bright as it gets. The higher the number, the more color...and the less you can see.

Finally, HID's in your housings are illegal. Period. If you care about that.

Well said, Cobra. All counts.

No you will not kill someone, yes it will scatter the light, but as long as you aim them down, your good, you'll still have the brightest lights in your city. They will not make grilled cheeses for you either lol.

You should spend anywhere near 80$-200$ on HIDs, some people order off eBay, which is fine, I paid 90$ for my 10,000k set 5 months ago and I couldnt be happier, you'll get 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and all the necesary wiring, and to clear something up, your not like "rewiring" your just adding a couple wires :p:

I do not believe in any way shape or form that they are illegal. Ive had them for 5 months, my uncles had them for over a year, my friends dad does on all 4 of his trucks, I pass cops multiple times a day/night, and havent gotten pulled over once, hell I even have BLUE corner lights in, and my tails tinted.

(I may be wrong, but hey thats what ive concluded over the last 5 months LOL)

I do not believe in any way shape or form that they are illegal. Ive had them for 5 months, my uncles had them for over a year, my friends dad does on all 4 of his trucks, I pass cops multiple times a day/night, and havent gotten pulled over once, hell I even have BLUE corner lights in, and my tails tinted.

Just because YOU do not believe it, does not mean they aren't. Cops are pretty slack on enforcement, but if you run into one that wants to make an example out of you, they can. This issue has been debated many times in the past. Aftermarket HID kits are illegal. Period. I'm not going to dig up the NHTSA regulations etc because it's apparent you have your mind made up just like you keep telling everyone that 10,000K HIDs are the ideal colour for bulbs.

Sorry, but your advice is flawed again and is based on opinion rather than fact. :rolleyes:

And there are documented cases of accidents caused by poorly focused headlights. I've been temporarily blinded many times. Just because I got off lucky, doesn't meant I always will. Yes, they could kill someone. Once again, your opinions only.

Thank you for clearing that up Celly. As usual...you are dead on the money.

Brian, maybe one reason you aren't blinding anyone is the 10k bulbs you are running. Please go to the website I listed and do some research.

Again, they are illegal...and you are probably better off with a good halogen bulb in the stock housings. If you want the benefit of HID's...and don't want to just look like some idiot ricer going down the road with purple bulbs...this is a very inexpensive way to get you started:

http://carpart4u.com/product.php?productid=13524&cat=6&page=1

Keep in mind, these aren't plug and play...but they aren't bad either...and you can be in a decent HID for about half price this way.

FWIW, if anyone is interested in the legalities etc (not that it really matters because so many of us use them anyhow), this thread pretty much covered how the NHTSA feels about HID kits. Pretty long read, but a healthy debate on the topic not simply based on 5 months of driving experience of one person alone.

Thanks CobraGuy, im actually still driving my 92, but I fully planned on getting the projector set with the halos like that when I sell my 92 and start driving my 95.

I don't have a problem with opinions, but be prepared to support them. (responding to a comment above now deleted).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I guess i should clear that up, he said a GOOD set, and i think he meant one like Cobraguy was talking about.

I know what you guys mean as far as aiming goes. I hate it when people have those things on and they didnt aim them correctly. They're bright as crap!:mad:

I might go with the housing you Cobraguy listed, they seem pretty good. Im not really sure. Either way, i think i am going to go with 6,000k or 8,000k if they have those.. Ive seen some with 4,300k, and they just look like really bright halogens.

If i get the lights now, and the housing in a month or two if i get alot of flashing and just point the lights way down so i dont go sending people flying off a cliff cause they cant see, will i have to get a new hid kit? I dont think so, but i just want to be sure.

And before you ladies get your panties in a bundle, im not worried about the police stopping me. First of all they wont even bother where im at, secondly i know all of em', and thirdly the place i work at gives em' free food and i see em' every day..:D

Thanks for all the opinions, suggestions, and overall help guys!:salute:

Back