Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hope they get it taken care of this time for you. I've never had negative feedback or reactions from any service department I've used by suggesting something that might be helpful for them to look at.

Was it my job to do so? No, but it is my car and my time. If I can do anything that might help get it fixed correctly the first time I will. We have the luxury of following forums about our specific cars. The mechanics work on all makes and models every day and very seldom know everything about one particular model or it's uncommon fixes.

It's saved me return visits more than once

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dissapointing Issue with new 2014 Sport

I posted this as a reply on accident to my order thread but it seems like it would belong here instead. My dealership finally found the 2014 Sport I was looking for and I picked it up Friday evening and fell in love with the horsepower and handling. Overall this car is a blast to drive and gets a ton of looks while driving.

Now for the frustration part as my Sport has now failed inspection twice in two days. On Saturday I took the car for its inspection and on the way the Airbag light came on and stayed on until after it failed inspection and I was on my way to the dealership, where it turned off as I was pulling into the parking lot. After waiting for over an hour for the Techs to look at the car and for the dealership to actually register my vehicle (I found out at the inspection location that the car had no registration and that the dealer never actually submitted the car to be registered and had just switched my plates, but that's a different issue), I was told that the scans picked up nothing wrong and that it "was a 1-time glitch".

Since the light was off and the scans supposedly showed nothing wrong I figured that might be true. Well on the way to have it inspected a second time last night the light came back on and the car failed inspection again. It is now Sunday and my Airbag light goes off for a second after you turn on the car and then immediately comes back on in a matter of seconds and stays on.

This is frustrating as this is an issue that should not happen on a car with only 256 miles on it. I now have to call tomorrow and see what they can do to fix my car after owning the car for less than 72 hours.

As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Check the under seat connection.

Peter

This is not only frustrating, it is just plain dangerous...You need to report this condition to NHTSA....and it just should not be happening period. This issue has been reported since the 2011 EXP came out and is still happening.... Air bag failures can kill people. Ford should have fixed this a long time ago...

Back at the dealership

After threatening to return the vehicle, my car is now back at the dealership and they gave me back my 2012 XLT that i haded traded in to drive until they figure out the issue. Hopefully it doesn't take too long as I have an appointment on Saturday to install my radar detector and 2 kicker hideaway subs under the front seats.

Now to wait to see what the dealer comes up with.

got my car back and its "fixed"

Picked my car up today and it has now passed inspection. According to the paperwork and technician a wire for the airbag sensor somehow was crimped and frayed causing it to display the error message. They replaced the wires and connectors and now let's see if the fix is permanent.

Picked my car up today and it has now passed inspection. According to the paperwork and technician a wire for the airbag sensor somehow was crimped and frayed causing it to display the error message. They replaced the wires and connectors and now let's see if the fix is permanent.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your Explorer, Live_Dang3rously. If you need any help in the future, don't hesitate to contact me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Airbag light

The airbag light just started flashing and then stayed solid. The flashing code is 43 anyone have an idea what this means. Can it be reset?

The airbag light just started flashing and then stayed solid. The flashing code is 43 anyone have an idea what this means. Can it be reset?

It means take it to your dealer to have them diagnose and reset if need be....it's under warranty and not something you should be messing with on your own.

Welcome to the Forum Carschevyss.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
As HughCares, suggested, take it to the dealer and let them check it out.

Peter

Airbag light

My 2012 Base 4wd has had the Airbag light problem since about 10K. Been in to the dealership twice and both times they worked on the harness under the seat. 1st time secured the connector and 2nd time they greased them.
NOW I am serious about what is wrong and came here for some answers. From what I have read here these are the only two fixes with any success. So what am I to do now that the light has come on again?
This is the second Explorer in a row that I've owned to have this issue!!! 2011 Base 4wd as well which I gave back as it was a fleet vehicle.
This thread is potential evidence for my case to file a demand for arbitration. I hate to do it since it is a nice car.

Welcome to the Forum l0v#chubb.:wavey:
With the light being on, it is a sign that the airbag system my not be operating as it should in case of a collision. This should be addressed ASAP.
I suggest sending a private message to Crystal (FordService) and get her involved to see what she can do to get this looked after.
You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.

Peter

My 2012 Base 4wd has had the Airbag light problem since about 10K. Been in to the dealership twice and both times they worked on the harness under the seat. 1st time secured the connector and 2nd time they greased them.
NOW I am serious about what is wrong and came here for some answers...

Hi l0v#chubb,

As Peter suggested, you should reach out to me with your information so I can look into this. Be sure to include all your specifics (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can get started on some options.

Crystal

Mine just came on at 59, 956 kms, but before I got home it is over 60k kms which is the limit of the warranty. Hopefully I can get the dealer to cover it under warranty.

Mine just came on at 59, 956 kms, but before I got home it is over 60k kms which is the limit of the warranty. Hopefully I can get the dealer to cover it under warranty.

I suggest scheduling an appointment with a local dealer for a diagnosis, NGTD. Then, send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, and best daytime contact number. I will get this escalated to a regional customer service manager for further assistance.

I'll be on the lookout for your message!

Brittany

As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Check the under seat connection.

Peter

Peter, where is the connection, can I check myself?

I have Ford ESP on my 2011 explorer, I had airbig light on once during the 2nd year, and it was fixed, the airbag assembly was replaced. Now I am out of 3 years warranty, and the airbag light is on yesterday and today periodically. if this turns out to be the connection problem, will it be covered by FORD ESP?

Not really sure. I just read other posts that found that the connection under the seat was causing the problem. I've never really looked under there to see how many connectors there are. I doubt there would be many. I would think that electrical issues should be covered by the ESP.

Peter

Thanks Peter

I see yellow plug under both driver and passenger seat will try it.

Esp PDF I found online says:
Esp does not cover
Battery if all types and cables,belts,hoses,hose clamps

Not sure if this issue under "cables"

Crystal or Brittany, can you confirm if the connector repair/replacement is covered by ford esp or not?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal or Brittany, can you confirm if the connector repair/replacement is covered by ford esp or not?

Thanks

The best resource for questions about your warranty and the cost of your repair is the dealer you're visiting, hpad06. I suggest reaching out to them about what is and is not covered under your specific ESP before moving forward; they'll be able to provide the most accurate information.

Brittany

Back