Clicking noise from dash (Blend Door Actuator) & DIY Repair | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise from dash (Blend Door Actuator) & DIY Repair

Update on my issue with the recirc motor. I took my 2011 Explorer XLT to a dealer. I knew it was out of warranty (as of April) so was not surprised when they said I would have to pay. They found "door blend actuator" was noisy and needed to be replaced. The part was $27 and labor was $196. Suggest replacing it yourself if possible. It did fix the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same issue with my 2000 F150 about 6 months after I got it. Took a while ot get parts and a couple of days to fix. Things must have changed if this easy to repair now.

2011-2015 Ford Explorer Loud Clicking In The Dash Repair

I am personally surprised this failure has carried over to the current generation Explorers but we are definitely seeing it more and more. You will notice it most times after you turn the truck off and when starting it up I show you just how it sounds in the video. This is a very annoying problem but a very simple repair, I walk you right through it step by step.

My 2005 does that! I can't believe Ford has let that go on for 10+ years! Total design FAILURE! Wow!

The other thread also links to your video which is posted in the Lincoln forum. However, the video here is a bit different.

Peter

Interesting, I had this happen on a 2009 Expedition and a 2010 Explorer. Both were taken to the shop and fixed there. At least now I know what was causing the problem.

Now I know how easy it is to get in behind there for the Remote Cellular Start module install. Thanks!

Dual Climate Control Issue's

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer and love it. The other day I got Heat out of the Passenger vents and cold out of the drivers side. I'm told that it is the Blend Door Actuator??? Where is this piece located and is it something a SHADE TREE MECHANIC can fix? Please help

There is a TSB for this and likely yours would be covered, ask your dealership.

The top section of this forum category has sticky' links-links that will stay there for your reference, refer to the Ford Ex TSBs post.

Even if your build date/year are not in the TSB the problem is the same, so ask about repair warranty coverage.

12-1-8 DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer vehicles equipped with DATC system may experience unresponsive temperature change when requested and/or erratic temperature change.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove temperature blend door actuators, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.
Suspect parts have a black cover and new service part has a white cover.
Remove alignment feature from new actuators. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 12-1-8

Support actuator flange so there is not stress on the actuator body. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-1-8

Drill out the 2 webs with a 3.17 mm (1/8") drill bit. (Figure 3)

Figure 3 - Article 12-1-8

Install new actuators, refer to WSM, Section 412-00.
Reprogram the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 76.04 and higher or 77.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
AA5Z-19E616-C Motor Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120108A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Blend Door Actuators Includes Time To Modify The New Actuators And Reprogram The HVAC Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19E616 42

I wish that I would Of purchased the Extended warranty cause it expired already.. Also What is a TSB sorry I new to this

I wish that I would Of purchased the Extended warranty cause it expired already.. Also What is a TSB sorry I new to this

Welcome to the site, CjRuff. A TSB is a technical service bulletin. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

I believe close to 50,000. I called the ford dealer here and they told me there are several blend door actuators that it is hard to tell which one it would be..

I believe close to 50,000. I called the ford dealer here and they told me there are several blend door actuators that it is hard to tell which one it would be..

I'd recommend having them diagnose this for you, CjRuff. Once you've had your appointment, let us know what you find out. I'll be able to research some options to help once your Ford Dealership has seen this. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Is there any write ups or video's on how to replace these? My 2011 Limited is making the clicking sound now.

Check out the link in post 6.

Peter

Very, very, very, very, very, very, very common problem with Fords. Has happened to almost every one of our company vehicles.

Did I mention it was a common problem?

The link to post 6 is a different glove box. I did happen to drop the dash box but the upper level of the glove box/frame blocks half of the broken actuator. Dont know if i can pull it out all the way without removing ALL of the glove box parts. Not as simple as the video shows but i am 100% sure now that the problem is the actuator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can get a pic of what im talking about if you guys need it?

Back