Parking large vehicle in small garage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking large vehicle in small garage

BMETFerg

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield Township, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer xlt
So I could use some suggestions for parking our "new to us" EX. I park on the left side of our garage and the wife now parks on the right side. We need some help with aligning the EX in the garage to be as close as possible to the right side so we can get our daughter in and out comfortably. So far she is doing a decent job of getting close to the opening of the garage but if we had a better aid for how far over she was it would help get the ass of the car over also. We are getting the distance we need after pulling the EX into the space but that is still leaving the rear of the EX to far into the center of the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hang a ping pong ball on a string from the ceiling in a place that can be easily lined up and aimed at when parking. Center of the steering wheel against the windshield maybe?

We have that for the depth but it doesn't seem to help for the left to right distance since it is hanging so far into the garage

Teach her to back it in.it will be easier to get the front over than the rear.

What I do is get my driver side mirror super duper close to the garage door frame going in forward. If I get it super close on my side, I know the other side will be fine.

ohhh my specialty!:D

The angle of approach into the garage will make that space you need on the side you want.

Ping pong ball works great but to gauge side to side, hang a 2nd one near your 'close' side.

The car is going to go in dead straight but at an angle to the garage door opening;
pull in straight with car angled more to the garage openings left side.

(going in more to either left or right creates room-the question is where do you want your rear end sitting? It too will either be more left or more right, while still giving you room for your door operations.)

Use the same angle each time.
Slow and easy and you will learn this angle once you do it a few times.
Rear end ends up on the right side, front will have some room left, rear doors on right will be close.

I have a small garage, I can juuuust clear it with the mirrors open, and I dont like rubbing the garage door gasket at all because it makes the mirror turn signal lens go white with white rubber/color residue.
(Im not cutting that even for the mirrors since its going to pour all types of water this winter, wet, slush, frozen, snow etc) so I forced myself to get it right each time.

I use the mirrors to gauge the side to side room, too close isnt good.

But I can back out in a hurry because this 'angle' is just enough room for a child seat operation and I can back out, straight back, along my path of chosen angle.

Changing the angle when the car is halfway in can make a lot of room as well but it can be tricky to back out.

If you have a small garage and dont want the rear in the center of the garage, this can work too.
Pull in just past the mirrors and turn slightly into your angle, car will fit as crooked as possible in the rectangle of the garage and you will need to do opposite turning to get out.

Its easy to make room like this, but backing out requires more turning than it took to get into that spot and if you're in a hurry or kids are carrying on etc its a pain to get out.

Backing in is good too but I tend not to do that as its tricky at night, in bad weather, and in snow.

Once you find your perfect angle, get reflective tape and afix to your driveway, all the way into the garage, and run lights along it during Xmas.

Back