VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello owners!

Can anybody confirm or deny whether the Explorer power liftgate has any sort of object avoidance logic built in? I am wondering if the liftgate will open even if something is very close to the back of the car, close enough that the hatch would hit it if opened.

My reason for asking is whether pressing the button on the remote while the Ex is parked in the garage with the garage door closed will cause the hatch to open and strike the garage door? Or, does the Ex "see" the close obstacle and keep the hatch closed?

I can just see after us buying our Ex, our son getting hold of the fob (he's a sneaky one) and pressing the power liftgate button, setting things in motion that would damage the paint on the car.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the owners manual for adjusting the height of the hatch open and/or pull in your ex as far as you can, positioning the ex so that if the hatch does open on purpose or otherwise it won't hit anything, next hang a whiffle ball with some string or fishing line from the sealing so that it contacts the windshield right at eye level and driver side with the car in the correct position stated above. come home, pull the car in, ball touches windshield, shut it off.

lastly keep your FOB keys away from your child, they are not toys. The reason why he is sneaky is because you allow him to be but I digress, otherwise he'll be driving your new car way before the age of 16

To answer your question it's like any other power lift gate system in that if it encounters a obstructions it will reverse.

To answer your question it's like any other power lift gate system in that if it encounters a obstructions it will reverse.

It will reverse AFTER hitting something. I dealt with this in a parking garage that had a low-hanging beam. I started opening it and realized the beam was too close. Had to wrestle the liftgate to reverse it before hitting the beam. I turn off the feature every time I install by hitch mount bicycle rack for this very reason.

Also, my garage isn't deep enough to pull forward far enough for the liftgate to clear the garage door if the button gets pushed while garage is closed. I take that risk and keep the keyfobs out of reach of the kids.

yes, lol, it will reverse after hitting into it.

that's why i wish that you could stop it during opening with another press of the liftgate button in the vehicle or on the fob instead of just reverse course.

It will reverse AFTER hitting something. I dealt with this in a parking garage that had a low-hanging beam. I started opening it and realized the beam was too close. Had to wrestle the liftgate to reverse it before hitting the beam. I turn off the feature every time I install by hitch mount bicycle rack for this very reason.

Also, my garage isn't deep enough to pull forward far enough for the liftgate to clear the garage door if the button gets pushed while garage is closed. I take that risk and keep the keyfobs out of reach of the kids.

yes, lol, it will reverse after hitting into it.

that's why i wish that you could stop it during opening with another press of the liftgate button in the vehicle or on the fob instead of just reverse course.

Be carefull here, I accidentally hit my fob with the garage door down. The liftgate got stuck/jammed and dented my Garage door. I had to pull the truck ahead (luckily I had room) to unjam things.

lastly keep your FOB keys away from your child, they are not toys. The reason why he is sneaky is because you allow him to be but I digress, otherwise he'll be driving your new car way before the age of 16

Thanks, but no thanks for the parenting advice... he is sneaky because he is 2 years old. Some people, I swear..... :rolleyes:

A little advice for you: this is how you spell "ceiling".

On to things that matter...

Be carefull here, I accidentally hit my fob with the garage door down. The liftgate got stuck/jammed and dented my Garage door. I had to pull the truck ahead (luckily I had room) to unjam things.

This answers my question exactly! Thank you. This is what I feared. After we get the car, I will most likely buy a piece of foam to stick on the garage door to protect the finish of the car. With my luck, I'll be the one to do it, and I will never hear the end of it from my wife!

You have your answer it looks like.

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping that the car used the backup sensors to detect a super close obstruction. Seemed like it might be a good idea to me.

Thanks for checking out the thread though, this really is an awesome community!

Hello owners!

Can anybody confirm or deny whether the Explorer power liftgate has any sort of object avoidance logic built in? I am wondering if the liftgate will open even if something is very close to the back of the car, close enough that the hatch would hit it if opened.

My reason for asking is whether pressing the button on the remote while the Ex is parked in the garage with the garage door closed will cause the hatch to open and strike the garage door? Or, does the Ex "see" the close obstacle and keep the hatch closed?

I can just see after us buying our Ex, our son getting hold of the fob (he's a sneaky one) and pressing the power liftgate button, setting things in motion that would damage the paint on the car.

Thanks.
Vince, as spitfisher stated, there is a procedure to adjust the height that the liftgate will open to. I frequently open the liftgate when parked in the garage with the garage door open so I set the gate to stop about 3-4 inches below the open garage door. If you do the same, be aware that the liftgate will always stop at that height unless readjusted, so watch your head.;)

Peter

Hiya Peter and thanks for your reply.

I am familiar with setting the height of the liftgate to limit its travel, and am sure it will be necessary for our garage. My concern was more specifically what would happen if the button was pressed while the garage door was closed? Would the backup up sensors activate, realize an obstruction was just behind the car and restrict the movement of the liftgate?

It would seem they do not, as rpotter28 answered my question, unfortunately from personal experience!

Thanks again :)

Hiya Peter and thanks for your reply.

I am familiar with setting the height of the liftgate to limit its travel, and am sure it will be necessary for our garage. My concern was more specifically what would happen if the button was pressed while the garage door was closed? Would the backup up sensors activate, realize an obstruction was just behind the car and restrict the movement of the liftgate?

It would seem they do not, as rpotter28 answered my question, unfortunately from personal experience!

Thanks again :)
Sorry Vince. I guess I misread your post. Even deactivating the liftgate through the message center won't prevent it from being opened by the switch on the dash or the fob. I have a double garage and with an entrance to the basement on one side so it is shorter than the other and that is where I park. If I ever get around to cleaning out the other side, I could back in and I would be able to fully open the liftgate. I don't think that will happen anytime soon.;)

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping that the car used the backup sensors to detect a super close obstruction. Seemed like it might be a good idea to me.

Thats a geat idea. I wonder if Ford is working on that.

Sorry Vince. I guess I misread your post. Even deactivating the liftgate through the message center won't prevent it from being opened by the switch on the dash or the fob. I have a double garage and with an entrance to the basement on one side so it is shorter than the other and that is where I park. If I ever get around to cleaning out the other side, I could back in and I would be able to fully open the liftgate. I don't think that will happen anytime soon.;)

Thanks for the info. As for cleaning the garage, I am right there with you! The wife and I are tackling the closets right now, but the garage is always looming on the horizon. Some day we will get around to it... someday, lol.

I asked the dealer when my ex was in the shop, the service tech tried to replicate your question above? The results are, no it will hit any obstruction, but will reverse, there is no sensing mech. To not open if to close to the garage door, thank goodness for red shop rags, no harm to the lift gate.
That would bea good idea for Ford to address.

Sorry Vince. I guess I misread your post. Even deactivating the liftgate through the message center won't prevent it from being opened by the switch on the dash or the fob.

What exactly does "deactivating" do then? I've deactivated mine several times when using my hitch-mounted bike rack to avoid damage. Of course, I never tried the dash button or fob button to ensure it was truly deactivated. Will try later, but your comment made me curious.

luckily i'm able to open the rear hatch with the garage door open or closed...definitely time to clean out that garage before you bring the new ride home...

Hey guys,

Between the parenting advice and the community help, I can’t get a word in edgewise. ;)

Thats a geat idea. I wonder if Ford is working on that.
...That would bea good idea for Ford to address.
VinceL,

I agree with JohnnyDop & Spengracin: that sounds like a great idea to send to Social.Ford.com under the “YOUR IDEAS” section. :D

Cory

Too funny Cory! :D

I'll do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

luckily i'm able to open the rear hatch with the garage door open or closed...definitely time to clean out that garage before you bring the new ride home...

Oh sure, rub it in! lol.

Our house was built in 2003, and the garage is just tiny. We had no idea that it wouldn't fit bigger cars at the time. And unfortunately, we could have nothing but the cars in the garage and it would still be too small for the Ex to open its hatch (an Edge can do it though).

Time for a new house I guess...

Back