Power Liftgate Question.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Question..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly does "deactivating" do then? I've deactivated mine several times when using my hitch-mounted bike rack to avoid damage. Of course, I never tried the dash button or fob button to ensure it was truly deactivated. Will try later, but your comment made me curious.
It deactivates the ability to open the liftgate from the liftgate handle button and the control button on the bottom of the liftgate.

Peter

I submitted my idea and now am waiting for it to be approved and posted.

It deactivates the ability to open the liftgate from the liftgate handle button and the control button on the bottom of the liftgate...
Thanks for the help, Peter; you really know your stuff. :)

I submitted my idea and now am waiting for it to be approved and posted.
VinceL,

Sounds good; be sure to post the link here. :D

Cory

It deactivates the ability to open the liftgate from the liftgate handle button and the control button on the bottom of the liftgate.

Peter

Thank you for clarifying. That is pretty ignorant programming on Ford's part. I think you should be able to fully deactivate to prevent damage similar to what others describe in this post - accidentally opening while in the garage, etc.

Only one vote so far! bummer, bummer.

Terrible design flaw

This is a terrible design flaw.

I just brought my new 2016 Explorer home and parked it in the garage. Was very happy that it fit with 6 inches to spare. While checking out the new features of the car I unknowingly pressed the lift gate button on the dash. The lift gate wedged itself between the car and the garage door, denting the door and scratching the paint.

What a stupid design! What if there was another car parked behind mine and the lift smashed into it? The car has sensors in the rear bumper that should be able to prevent the lift from opening when there's a car or closed garage door behind it! Ford Fail, if you ask me!

This is a terrible design flaw.

I just brought my new 2016 Explorer home and parked it in the garage. Was very happy that it fit with 6 inches to spare. While checking out the new features of the car I unknowingly pressed the lift gate button on the dash. The lift gate wedged itself between the car and the garage door, denting the door and scratching the paint.

What a stupid design! What if there was another car parked behind mine and the lift smashed into it? The car has sensors in the rear bumper that should be able to prevent the lift from opening when there's a car or closed garage door behind it! Ford Fail, if you ask me!

If there was another car behind you, it would not hit the car unless they were bumper to bumper touching and even then, chances are it would clear. The only time one has to be careful is when in a garage with the garage door closed. For that, I make sure my kids don't grab my key fob because they love to push buttons.

Because you pushed the button, that is Ford's fault?? A suggestion would be to read through the manual that comes with every vehicle before you go start pushing buttons that you don't know what they go to.

Sorry but that is a Fail on your part, not Ford's.

YOMV.

If there was another car behind you, it would not hit the car unless they were bumper to bumper touching and even then, chances are it would clear. The only time one has to be careful is when in a garage with the garage door closed. For that, I make sure my kids don't grab my key fob because they love to push buttons.

Because you pushed the button, that is Ford's fault?? A suggestion would be to read through the manual that comes with every vehicle before you go start pushing buttons that you don't know what they go to.

Sorry but that is a Fail on your part, not Ford's.

YOMV.

Agreed, owner fail.

.........Sorry but that is a Fail on your part, not Ford's.
Welcome to the Forum exploder16.:wavey:
I have to agree with the previous two posters. This is on you, not Ford.
Just to ensure that your liftgate doesn't hit the garage door when it is open, you can set the opening height limit.

Peter

Back