Can I added heated mirrors to my 2001 XLT ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I added heated mirrors to my 2001 XLT ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Winter is off to quite a start here in MN ............ my mirrors are caked in ice already.

Is it possible/within reason to add heated mirrors to my 2001 XLT ? My current mirrors are 'remote controlled', but NOT heated.

What would it take to add heated mirrors ? I've searched this forum and found a few guys who considered it, but never really gave a full report on completing it (which suggests its not easy). I assume some wiring to a switch (perhaps the rear defroster ?) is needed ? More ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I can find the mirrors, but HOW to integrate them in such a way to preserve existing remote control function AND connect to a switch for heat, from a SINGLE connection coupling from the mirror itself - thats the challenge, I think.

I think that the harness is already there, in the door, with all the wires. Just plug in the heated one.

$_12.jpg

The harness is already set up for the heated mirrors, if you buy the replacement ones for your explorer, and the rear defroster switch is what turns them on. just did some more research on it.

Thanks guys !

Its time to do some shopping !

Let us know how you make out pleases.

Well, I called my local Ford dealer, just to compare prices on the mirrors themselves - Ford no longer carries them.

But I also asked the Ford parts guy whether my current wiring harness would be capable of working with heated mirrors ...... and he said NO.

The ebay seller basically said the same thing by saying "only guarantees it to work if the heated mirrors are replacing heated mirrors".

So despite other posters saying it WOULD work, I've decided not to take the risk of wasting money/time on this ............. unless someone else has a success story to share.

Instead, I'm investigating de-ice products (Splash, Heet, Gunk, etc), so if anyone has a recommendation, please share. I'm hoping for a spray-bottle that I can leave in the Explorer, even at -20 F.

Limited's have heated mirrors but the wiring/plug is different.

Limited mirrors are about $35 at the pick n pull. If you go that route, cut the wiring on the donor mirror such that you get both connectors, then you can run a separate power wire from the defrost switch/circuit to the mirror defrost.

It really should not be an extremely difficult job

Eddie Bauer have heated mirrors too.

Sorry for the thread HiJack ...

Does anyone know if the wire complete with pin from a low end power mirror - '02 Sport in my case - can be removed from its connector and installed in the original connector of a Limited power/heated/puddle mirror ? Seems it could be fairly easy to add the defrost wire in that case. I really don't care about the puddle lights.

I know that on some connectors - Limited heated seats for example - the individual pin with wire can be extracted from the seat connector and inserted into another seat connector. This could really simplify the swap if possible.

Anyone ?

Eddie Bauer have heated mirrors too.

AFAIK, my '97 EB does not have heated mirrors. Never noticed them; but then rarely need to use the rear defroster.

Winter is off to quite a start here in MN ............ my mirrors are caked in ice already.

Is it possible/within reason to add heated mirrors to my 2001 XLT ? My current mirrors are 'remote controlled', but NOT heated.

What would it take to add heated mirrors ? I've searched this forum and found a few guys who considered it, but never really gave a full report on completing it (which suggests its not easy). I assume some wiring to a switch (perhaps the rear defroster ?) is needed ? More ?

Just posting my info. I pulled the mirrors off my 2000 XLT today to add turn signals. My mirror harness only has 5 pins, not the 7 required for heated mirrors. The two that are missing are 1) power for the heated mirror and 2) ground for the heated function.

Back