• Register Today It's free!

4.6L Spark Plugs / E3 ?

banditxp

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer XLT V8
So starting to look and price out what its gonna be for the dreaded 3v spark plug change....:mad:

and i think i like the looks of the E3 ones. look to be all one peace where the ford ones break.

Anyone use them yet?

E3 Spark Plugs E3.70

They are about the same price as all the rest so might be a good option.

Also any news on a better tool or way to remove the broken plugs? or still same old same old?

I did mine a few years ago, used the Champion 1 piece ones made for these 3v motors work great, almost 20k on them with no issues. Any one piece design is a good choice for these motors and the E3's appear to be one piece. How many miles are you at? Did mine at around 60k as preventative measure. Bought the Leslie tool as insurance but they all came out in one piece. I think that's the biggest factor, the more miles the more carbon build up and the greater the likelyhood they will be stuck. Start soaking them with PB Blaster or another penetrant for at least a few hours before you attempt.

I did see a video on Youtube of a guy that uses impact tools on them with good results but I'm not sure its the safest route, last thing you want to do is strip or cross the threads.

cool. yea im a wee bit over but between loosing and switching jobs and moving just havn't had the money or time to tackle the dreaded 3v spark plugs. Never had a spark plug change cost so much before. Normally i like to do it every 30K miles. But im at 115K miles now. Bought the truck at 42K miles. But its been running great. Its juuuusst starting to idol a little rough now when cold but after its warmed up you can barely feel it run. I think between the fact that i go WOT multiple times a week and i do fuel cleaner often the plugs have been lasting.

But i just got hired on full time (from contract) and a pay raise so YAY i think im gonna do the plugs in march once it warms up.

Back