Left Front Hub 2004 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left Front Hub 2004 Ford Explorer

scottthomas

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Hey everyone I am new to this site. I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. I just recently had both rear wheel bearings changed. Before having them changed I thought that they were causing my ABS light to come on and my 4x4 high to keep flashing. Well after they were changed both lights came back on. Now they only come on after I have driven my explorer for a short amount of time. Really no rhyme or reason to when or how long it takes for them to come on. Now my friend who is a mechanic and has done all the work on my explorer (thank god for having friends who know this stuff) told me it is the left front hub that is going bad. He said that it will not affect braking and basically to get it repaired once light stays on all the time, which is a good thing because I can't afford to get this fixed till the end of next month. My question is, before I go on I am asking on here because I feel bad for constantly bothering him with questions, will you feel a vibrating sensation when driving w/the left front hub going? I have noticed it and just want to make sure that is normal. I just want to make sure I can make it another 3 weeks as it is my only vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack up the vehicle and see if you have any wheel play. Typically, these bearings go bad but don't present any play in the wheel. If you do have wheel play, then I'd stop driving until it's fixed.

I've never seen an Explorer that actually had abs sensors at the rear wheels (they do exist.) Most Explorers have the rear sensor in the differential and it does go out.

Jack up the vehicle and see if you have any wheel play. Typically, these bearings go bad but don't present any play in the wheel. If you do have wheel play, then I'd stop driving until it's fixed.

I've never seen an Explorer that actually had abs sensors at the rear wheels (they do exist.) Most Explorers have the rear sensor in the differential and it does go out.

Ill second that.
On the rear the ABS sensor is on top of the center section differential. You can replace it yourself if you can crawl under. I did mine last year, not terribly difficult.

The front sensors are in the hub.

When a front hub is work, typically you will get a wine/hum noise on slight turns. Ive had a couple go on my 04, but never felt a vibration with either.
At speed, on very slight curvs, do you hear any noise? Usually if you hear it on a right curve the left side is bad and vice versa. With the truck in the air, you should be able to spin that tire and feel/hear if its not smooth if its worn enough.

I did my hubs myself, a little more involved if its a 4x4 as you need to get that big bolt off the center axle.

I will add, my ABS light came on last year a short time after I put new hubs on. I knew the hubs were good. I hit the junk yard and bought just the front abs sensors/wires. Switched one side, still had the light on so I put my original sensor back on. Switched the other side and bingo, no light.

A computer diagnostic can read the ABS codes and tell you which sensor is causing the error light. Different code for each sensor position. I found mine (left front) using a OBDII bluetooth adapter (Amazon) and Torque app.

Hub wear or vibration and ABS faults are unrelated--unless the wear is SO bad that the hub (and the toothed ring pressed on to it) is wobbling and the ABS sensor mounted in the knuckle can't "reach" it. NOT likely. A replacement sensor & wire costs about $60 online. Mine arrived yesterday. Hopefully after tonight I won't be seeing that ABS light for a while ;-)

Another thought--somebody correct me if I'm wrong--I don't think the ABS system will work when the warning light is on. You'll get "normal" braking--and possibly a skid.

You definitely need to pull the codes. You might be dealing with 1 or more issues. Next time the ABS light comes on, try using your cruise control. If cruise control doesn't work then the problem is most likely caused a faulty main pressure transducer which is AKA cruise control switch. I had intermittent ABS light too. Finally pulled a code C1440 indicates an error with main pressure transducer located on the master brake cylinder inside the engine bay. Luckily, this switch/sensor is very cheap and very easy to replace. You need Ford part #3L3Z-9F924-AB Description: SWITCH 873966. See http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239295 for more details.

Back