One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed)

Hmmmmmm.....

What might you be thinking for a price range? Not looking to nail you down to a price at this point, just wondering if you would throw out a ball-park?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, I do not know a price range yet. I will not include the trans or the pcm (Will be using them for something else) but will be the entire harness so it will just drop right in and plug in. It will come with the data link connector though and the plug for the O/D OFF light and O/D cancellation switch (to be wired at the buyers discretion)

Honestly, I do not know a price range yet. I will not include the trans or the pcm (Will be using them for something else) but will be the entire harness so it will just drop right in and plug in. It will come with the data link connector though and the plug for the O/D OFF light and O/D cancellation switch (to be wired at the buyers discretion)

Sounds Good To me ^^

As soon as i know something more on the project involving Blue in the next few months, Ill know more. But i'm leaning towards selling this stuff lol.

I don't want to jump the gun here or get ahead of myself, but the 5R55E custom prototype harness i built to make this swap possible might be for sale soon...

Intriguing, if the price is right I'm sure *someone* will buy ;)

Up until the torque convertor dying (unrelated to the swap) it was working great! Although now I am in need of a new tranny and just bought a brand spakin new TC for it. Although, i reiterate, the tranny failure was not due to the swap, but to a unexpected fluid leak that developed in the metal cooler line, which I think killed the TC

Ah that sucks man. I still wonder if this is the answer to keep my Ex on the road. Maybe this, maybe a manual swap. Time will tell. I certainly appreciate all the work you did and sharing it with us all.

In the end, it all boils down to what you want out of the transmission. Several folks have PM'ed me and what not saying how cool this swap was, they wish they could do it, what all is needed, ect, ect...but no one wants to attempt to have the second 5R swap on here. So I can only conclude this swap doesnt meet peoples expectations perhaps? But im glad yall followed along with me on this journey! :salute:

We all have different abilities here and you did a great job in sharing yours. I could follow your how-to. I just have to decide which I want, auto or manual. I don't think I would build another A4. Don't think it would stand what I want to do eventually.

Great thread. Planning these things takes time so you may see people attempt this swap over the years to come, thanks to you. They may or may not share their experiences but all will be helped immeasurably by your documentation. Revealing the possibility of a successful 5R swap is a major accomplishment.

I would suggest spelling out the reasons the 5R is better than the A4LD in the first post. I'm not sure if you have explicitly stated anywhere that it is stronger or not, but if so that statement could make more people take the plunge to installing it. Gaining a "5th gear" is neat but durability I think is most attractive.

Hey, i just made an account to reply to this thread. My a4ld died last week and if i could get a harness for less than the cost of a new a4ld id love to get one. I suspect my old trans died because of the extra 1000lbs from my system. You think the 5r would hold up better in that situation?

I realize this is an old thread just wondering of you guys can help me out. My A4LD in my 88 2.9l ranger whent out. My friend has a 1995 explorer and said she'd sell me the trans (4r44e?) ECU and harness for 200 I'm wondering if the swap would be possible and similar to this one?

A 95 Explorer would have a 4r55e, not a 4r44e.
The trans would bolt up, so would the torque converter. Even if you got the electronics to work out (which I don't really see a problem making it work.), you may have issues with the stall speed in the converter. They are usually somewhat matched to the torque the engine produces. I ran into an issue running a 2.9l converter behind a 4.0l.

Why don't you buy the whole truck and swap the 4.0 and the trans in? It would probably be less of a headache in the long run.

Question
Is it possible to change a 1998 Mountaineer to a manual trans?
Thx
Robert

In the end, it all boils down to what you want out of the transmission. Several folks have PM'ed me and what not saying how cool this swap was, they wish they could do it, what all is needed, ect, ect...but no one wants to attempt to have the second 5R swap on here. So I can only conclude this swap doesnt meet peoples expectations perhaps? But im glad yall followed along with me on this journey! :salute:

I want too, and will need to do this Swap on my 93 ranger......... I'm Down to do this.

After all I'm just about done on my F-250 diesel rebuild, but the Torqe Converter failed on it, so that truck is down.

I have a donor 2000 Ford Explorer Sport right now with a dead engine and a 5r55e Good Tranny.

And i have some free time as well. Just need to pull all the crap I need out of the explorer and swap it to the Ranger plus harness and stuff.

Cheers,

Gene

ETA: I will also post pics and stuff here.

Has anyone other than the OP completed this swap?

And here is a farely updated parts list for everything.

Parts Required:

1997 PCM
The code doesn’t really matter, just got to make sure it’s a 97

1996-2001 EEC-V PCM Connector (104 pin)
Note: Ideally, get the same connector that the PCM you will use came from. Get as much of the electrical pigtail as possible. But if you can’t, any EEC-V connector will work, just some re-pinning will be in order as well as some wire colors may be different. GO BY PIN NUMBER!

1997 5R55E Transmission
It has to be 97 because in 98, a couple of sensors got deleted that the 97 PCM
needs to shift.

1997 5R55E Transmission Harness
This has also got to be from a 97 for said sensors.

OBD-II Data Link Connector
This is the trapezoid shaped connector located under the dash of all OBD-II vehicles. It will have seven wires, but only six will be needed. Get as much of the electrical pigtail as possible

A4LD Shift Cable Bracket
Use can use the old one and attach this to the 5R55E transmission to flip the shifter cable 180 degrees.

A4LD Dipstick Tube & Stick
You will reuse the dipstick tube from the A4LD and attach it to the 5R55E, because the 5R55E is much longer

Transmission Control Switch
In its most basic form, it’s a momentary switch with a light. This mimics the O/D OFF button located on the drive selector of 95-01 Explorers. Ideally, you want the second gen stalk and wire the button in and mount the light as you please. But a simple momentary contact switch will work. But this is needed in any fashion for the PCM

Parts Optional, but recommend:

Rotunda Monitor Adapter Harness, part number 007-00081
This is an extension harness designed for the EEC-IV computer systems. If you want a truly plug and setup, I highly recommend finding one and buying it. When you splice all your engine sensors, you can simply do it in this harness and plug everything in when your ready. It’s not needed, but if you don’t get it, you will have to sit in the truck in the lower cab corner, and splice everything in that small space. Not Fun.

Connectors C113 and C118
These are the male electrical connectors that plug into the 5R transmission harness. These will need to be cut off the engine harness.

A4LD Neutral Safety Switch
This is the round 5 pin switch that is installed in the A4LD and has the round female connector that attaches to it. This is what is used to integrate all the safety switch functions of the 5R DTR Sensor and moves it to the first gen harness.

A4LD Valve Body Electrical Harness
This is used to connect to the ignition power source already running down to the transmission to the 5r solenoids and sensors. Also you use this harness to attach the resistors to the A4LD 3-4 and TCC solenoid wires to prevent MIL’s.

Second Gen Gear Selection Display
I have not hooked this up yet, but I am sure it can be modified to work. The first gen gear selector has P R N OD D 2 1, where as the second gen has P R N D 2 1 so the the 5R will not line up correctly. If this doesn’t bother you, skip this part. If it does, find a way to modify it.

Assorted Factory male/female electrical connectors
You can’t have too many of these. These are useful when attaching different harnesses together and for future use when you need to remove or disconnect something.
Question for me on a Antique Form... 1987 A4LD I was thinking of this swap but I was going to use a 2010 5R55S out of a SportTrac.. Is this gonna work ya think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question for me on a Antique Form... 1987 A4LD I was thinking of this swap but I was going to use a 2010 5R55S out of a SportTrac.. Is this gonna work ya think?
This would be more headache. Guys use the older trans because they have less electronics. The newer one is going to need the stock computer and some computer tune work.

Back