DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Howdy,

As some of you heard, my transmission literally blew up on the highway and the case cracked open a few weeks ago.

Well, now I can't seem to decide what I want to do with it.

A few people are telling me to just throw in a transmission and transfer case from the junkyard, while others are telling me to rip my parts off and scrap it. With the second option, people are telling me to buy another Explorer (Newer, better shape) and transfer my parts onto it, or sell the parts.

I can't decide what to do. The truck has some major rust already, the rockers are starting to just rot away, the wheel wells and above the gas cap has already been fixed, but is starting to rust again..
There's a list of problems with this truck, and it would cost some big cash to fix them all..

Just to name some:
  • ABS has not worked in years, the module is shot
  • Intake gaskets are bad
  • Rough Idle Forever
  • Rusted wheel wells/rockers
  • Front fenders are warped due to a great mechanic jacking it up by the fenders. (Can't be fixed, the lower mounting point of fender too rusty to bend back to shape.)
  • Hole somewhere in the exhaust

So, I'm just hoping for a couple opinions, what should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My vote is for pulling your parts to swap to another Explorer and then parting out the truck.

Buy another and transfer your mods! Also affords you a chance to improve any mods you want to.

You can find fairly pristine explorers out there for not much cash. I would vote on buying one of those and having a great platform start off with. As we all know the second-generation explorer is probably the best one ever made.

You can find fairly pristine explorers out there for not much cash. I would vote on buying one of those and having a great platform start off with. As we all know the second-generation explorer is probably the best one ever made.

The problem is more so finding a clean/not rusted one up here in salt nation.

Buy one down here in AZ! They're pretty much all rust free here. The only ones that have rust are from outside the valley. It would be well worth the plane ticket and drive home! Then swap your parts over! There's a few on craigslist.

Buy a new one and swap parts. I'm voting this way because of the rust you're describing.

You obviously want to own an Ex or you wouldn't be asking here for our opinions!

There are still a lot of rust free (or at least low rust) Explorers and Mounties. Take a mini vacation and go to a salt free area of the country. Look for the options you wished you had but never did in your old one.

Talking about options . . . Lincoln Aviator!?!

Good Hunting,
Dan

Having a parts truck is a very wise decision.

As awesome as flying down to the states and driving one back would be, it's way too complicated to bring it back over the boarder and get it registered up here before driving it up.
It would have to be a truck somewhere in Ontario, sadly.
It'd be sweet to find a Mounty, since they didn't sell them in Canada.

As awesome as flying down to the states and driving one back would be, it's way too complicated to bring it back over the boarder and get it registered up here before driving it up.
It would have to be a truck somewhere in Ontario, sadly.
It'd be sweet to find a Mounty, since they didn't sell them in Canada.

I hadn't noticed you were from up THERE! Try to take your time (if you can) and don't jump on the first Ex (or Mounty) you see.

If you can find it cheap enough it might make sense to throw in a transmission and transfer case from a junkyard as a band-aid to help expand your search time window.

Dan

I hadn't noticed you were from up THERE! Try to take your time (if you can) and don't jump on the first Ex (or Mounty) you see.

If you can find it cheap enough it might make sense to throw in a transmission and transfer case from a junkyard as a band-aid to help expand your search time window.

Dan

I bought a car already, so I'm in no rush finding another Exploder. The car works for now.
The V8 hunt is on though.

Honestly, its very easy to bring a vehicle over. I did it. No issues at the border at all. It just can't be lifted.
If you decide to go this route, I can help you. This includes getting temporary insurance on your new ride before you leave Canada.

I vote for scrapping the current body also. Its sounding pretty rough.

Honestly, its very easy to bring a vehicle over. I did it. No issues at the border at all. It just can't be lifted.
If you decide to go this route, I can help you. This includes getting temporary insurance on your new ride before you leave Canada.

I vote for scrapping the current body also. Its sounding pretty rough.

You know what, I'll take some pics of the body and see what you guys think. It's just that I wired up too much stuff to it, and rewiring is a pain.. Including an Alarm.. added overhead console, added long console.. added auto head lights..

Do that. Im pretty sure if you want to try some body work, and know just how much labour is involved, you are good. You will buy yourself a few years with some aftermarket panels and a rattle can.

Looks amazing. Only real concern (other than elbow grease and maint parts) is that leak.

The drain might just be plugged.

No rust, low km, awesome price. Sounds great.

Looks like a good find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back