My Sport thougts as I roll lots of miles | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Sport thougts as I roll lots of miles

And knowing it turned out to be from the only self sustaining American car company is an added bonus; I'll be darned if a GM/Chrysler product ever sits in my garage again that stole the American taxpayers dollar.
Spare us the pseudo-Tea Party rant.

These are mid-grade vehicles, with quality, fit and finish to match. Set your expectations around this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are mid-grade vehicles, with quality, fit and finish to match. Set your expectations around this.

Facts are stubborn little things, aren't they?

Trailhawk vs. Explorer?

At 65k the Sport is gone tomorow it got traded in for a Cherokee Trailhawk. The car with all the annoyances was a pretty good car. I got 18 mpg over the life of the car. It really needs some fornt brakes as they shudder a bit. It also needs tires. The front seat is showing heavy wear more than I expected the leather in these cars turns out to be crap. The rear seats also show cracking etc. The battery died on me twice in last 6 months but other than that it never left me stranded. Until the end I still liked this car however for me it is 2 years and out on every car I buy...Would I buy another one down the road...maybe...

Since this original post is about 6 months ago... how's the Trailhawk working out for you? I considered this vehicle new or a '13 Ex Sport. I've decided on the Sport after reading a lot of horror stories about the TH transmission.

How do you like the Jeep? Thanks.

Since this original post is about 6 months ago... how's the Trailhawk working out for you? I considered this vehicle new or a '13 Ex Sport. I've decided on the Sport after reading a lot of horror stories about the TH transmission.

How do you like the Jeep? Thanks.
If you currently have the '13 Sport, please update your profile to show the model (Sport) so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

You are spot on! I have to chuckle at the folks that try to may an Explorer into a luxury vehicle. It is not, even though you may think that because you spent $50,000+ it should be...:eek:

You are spot on! I have to chuckle at the folks that try to may an Explorer into a luxury vehicle. It is not, even though you may think that because you spent $50,000+ it should be...:eek:

Ahhh, old Hawlg knocking the Sport owners again. Obsessed much?

Ahhh, old Hawlg knocking the Sport owners again. Obsessed much?

I'd say the same thing about a $50k plus Limited. These are not true luxury vehicles. There is demand, though, and Ford can set prices high due to that.

To me, a $50k Ex (loaded XLT, LTD or Sport - does not matter) is really a $35k value with all the fit and finish issues. I'll give it a good engine, but the rest does not meet luxury specs.

I'd say the same thing about a $50k plus Limited. These are not true luxury vehicles. There is demand, though, and Ford can set prices high due to that.

To me, a $50k Ex (loaded XLT, LTD or Sport - does not matter) is really a $35k value with all the fit and finish issues. I'll give it a good engine, but the rest does not meet luxury specs.

Says another XLT owner. And I paid 46 out the door. I'm done.

Mind the snarky responses and these guys are not far off from the truth.
I currently drive a 2015 RX350 and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Explorer in terms if "luxury" and refinement (interior quality fit, finish and feel is much better); but it didn't stop me from ordering a 2016 Explorer Sport :thumbsup:

Mind the snarky responses and these guys are not far off from the truth.
I currently drive a 2015 RX350 and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Explorer in terms if "luxury" and refinement (interior quality fit, finish and feel is much better); but it didn't stop me from ordering a 2016 Explorer Sport :thumbsup:

You gotta reach far to grab an elite luxury vehicle like Lexus to make your point against Ford. It doesn't make sense, - it's not apples to apples. Ford doesn't claim to be a luxury vehicle, that is why they have Lincoln's.

And in terms of size - are you really comparing the RX to the Explorer? I think you mean the GX, the RX is more like the Edge if anything. The GX is like the Explorer, and if you want the options in the GX like in the Sport, you're over 65k easily. Plust it's God awful ugly and the motor still does not compare. I am really done with people on the internet today. :salute:

You gotta reach far to grab an elite luxury vehicle like Lexus to make your point against Ford. It doesn't make sense, - it's not apples to apples. Ford doesn't claim to be a luxury vehicle, that is why they have Lincoln's.

And in terms of size - are you really comparing the RX to the Explorer? I think you mean the GX, the RX is more like the Edge if anything. The GX is like the Explorer, and if you want the options in the GX like in the Sport, you're over 65k easily. Plust it's God awful ugly and the motor still does not compare. I am really done with people on the internet today. :salute:

No offence, but your responses are very clouded and a username of EGObeast seems more fitting.
My reference is relative to the price point of a $50K vehicle vs a $50K vehicle.

Everybody is specifically talking about the price and what you can get from other makes and model.

And my XLT was $43k sticker (bought it used so don't know what it sold for new).

Let's say it went for $41k out the door. Interior and exterior panels don't line up very well. Needed a new hood due to the paint bubble issue. Had the third row roof rack water leak. Even clean, it is not as good as the comparably priced the JGC (I know, tranny stinks) in regards to the look and feel of the interior.

The Ex interior is "nice". It's not luxury.

Hey guys you all really need to relax a little. After all it is only a vehicle, in the grand scheme of things it gets us from A to B and sometimes C...a little fun along the way. Don't take life so seriously...no one gets out alive. BTW I truly enjoy my 2016 Sport, it is not luxury for sure but it sure is fun and pretty to look at.:)

And my XLT was $43k sticker (bought it used so don't know what it sold for new).

Let's say it went for $41k out the door. Interior and exterior panels don't line up very well. Needed a new hood due to the paint bubble issue. Had the third row roof rack water leak. Even clean, it is not as good as the comparably priced the JGC (I know, tranny stinks) in regards to the look and feel of the interior.

The Ex interior is "nice". It's not luxury.

My 2011 XLT went for $33.4k out the door brand new. Only thing I ever had to do was the A pillar tsb for the wind noise.

Our Explorers were never built to be luxurious. If you want luxury, do like Peterk9 and get a Lincoln.

Our Explorers were never built to be luxurious. If you want luxury, get a Lincoln.

Exactly...Lincoln is Ford's luxury division...

$50K should not be considered to be a "luxury" price positioned vehicle. There are a ton of vehicles from many manufacturers that can be optioned out to hit that price point and most people would not remotely consider them as luxury vehicles. In my opinion, the folks that are trying to label them as such, have simply reached the high end of their price range based on their financial position and as a result somehow feel in their minds that they own a luxury vehicle because they hit the top end of their budget. As it has been already stated many times before, the Ex is a mid-range priced vehicle that when optioned out/up can become a much higher priced vehicle. It has a lot of awesome options at a reasonable cost when compared to "true" luxury vehicles offering similar options/power/size etc.

If you want luxury in a Ford product....get a Lincoln, and then feel compelled to whine and complain about it if/when you have issues while continually crying "I paid over $50K for this vehicle...I demand perfection"...Waaah
:rant::rant::rant:

$50K should not be considered to be a "luxury" price positioned vehicle. There are a ton of vehicles from many manufacturers that can be optioned out to hit that price point and most people would not remotely consider them as luxury vehicles. In my opinion, the folks that are trying to label them as such, have simply reached the high end of their price range based on their financial position and as a result somehow feel in their minds that they own a luxury vehicle because they hit the top end of their budget. As it has been already stated many times before, the Ex is a mid-range priced vehicle that when optioned out/up can become a much higher priced vehicle. It has a lot of awesome options at a reasonable cost when compared to "true" luxury vehicles offering similar options/power/size etc.

If you want luxury in a Ford product....get a Lincoln, and then feel compelled to whine and complain about it if/when you have issues while continually crying "I paid over $50K for this vehicle...I demand perfection"...Waaah

Here's a Motor Trend list of what they term as 75 "new luxury cars". Ford is not on the list (neither is Lincoln), but many vehicles below and in the price range of the Ex are considered luxury - which can be a subjective term. It seems just because you are a certain make of vehicle deemed "luxury", your low end models are "luxury" too.

In looking at that list, I see one Chevy in the price range of the Ex and have never seen its interior. BMW, Audi, Lexus and Caddy I know. Much nicer interiors and better fit and finish for the same price or less.

Fact is, the Ex has priced itself into luxury territory even though it is not a luxury vehicle. And yes, a lot of $30k vehicles that are not considered "luxury" can be optioned out into the 40's.

The point in my mind is if you are going to pay $45-50K for a vehicle, then it should not have rattles and panels inside and out not lined up and parts falling off and paint corroding/bubbling in as short as two years - whether it is a "luxury" vehicle or not.

http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/27/luxury_cars/

I agree with you to some extend. But it also depends on where you're coming from and thus how you subjectively define luxury.
Me, for example:
In Germany, my first car was a 1989 Opel (GM) Kadett. I got it in 2005, as a gift from my neighbor since he bought a new vehicle. My next car was a 1994 VW Golf III, got it in 2006 (Kadett didn't pass inspection). After that (2009), my first brand new one, Chevy Aveo LT, paid $19,000 (14,000EUR). When first coming to the US (2013) I bought a 2005 Mercury Mariner. And now I upgraded to the Explorer. To me it is luxury, I love this car. And while I know that there are cars/trucks out there that are more expensive and more luxurious (which would have been in my price range, btw, but I love the looks of the Ex), for me personally it fits my needs and more.

Overall I'd say we can call ourselves lucky that we can even discuss about matters like that, that we're able to spend that kind of money on a car. And who spent what and for what reason should not really be anyone elses concern. You paid for it because you liked it. There are always hiccups that can happen, no matter what you paid for it. If it's worth it for you, no one should have the right to bad mouth. And if you don't like it, well, get rid of it and search for something else.

Just feeling badly you paid so much for a mid-level SUV is all. :(

I am surprised you feel this way. I found the pricing to be more in line with or even better than similar suv's in it's class. With all the options and performance, I cannot imagine what else you expect out of a vehicle under 45k. Unless we missed something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back