My Sport thougts as I roll lots of miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Sport thougts as I roll lots of miles

sciond

Reaction score
City, State
The Q.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
So I probably spend more time in my car than most people. I picked up my Sport on 12/28 and now have about 3000 miles on it. Here are my thoughts so far
The Sport really has a nice torque curve and and really does well for a behemoth. It would crush my old 20ll Enclave or my ML350 Bluetec in a foot race.
Last week I took it up to Banner Elk, NC, where we just got 8 inches of snow. I went on a mostly closed Blue Ridge Parkway. I dodged downed trees, rolled over snow, ice, mud, and black ice flawlessly. I was really impressed, it did as well as my ML 350 usually does. I used all the different terrain modes as the descent mode on reall crazy roads I took it upand down mountain, the highest was Beach at 5300 ft.. So needless to say I am impressed over all with the handling of severe condtions.
The car is dead quiet surprisingly .Moreso them my "quiet tuned" Enclave...go figure. It also is getting 17.9 mpg so far which is really not bad at all. Seats are pretty comfortable and when MFT works as it should it is nice.
So far the only downside had been the quirkyness of the MFT had to do hard reboots and sometimes it just reboots for no reason. The scheduled maintenance happens at weird times...
Where the hell is Applink? GRR
Other than that so far so good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My next (#5) Explorer will probably be the Sport with the Ecoboost twin turbo motor in about 2 years. Glad you are enjoying yours, and driving it the way the engineers intended.

My 2011 will be 2 years old in late February, and I just rolled over 64,000 miles this week when it was -8 degrees in central Minnesota.

Good to hear!

I am a little surprised by the fuel economy of the Sport though, was expecting closer to 20. For comparison, I get about 19.5 mpg in mixed driving with a 400hp V8 Cayenne. And it isn't a break-in issue--I was getting this in the previous Cayenne as of 6,500 miles, and in the current one at only 900 miles.

I do a mix of traffic and highway and the I keep it about 70 when cruising to maybe that is why
kick the tar out of my Enclave 2wd(288hp) though mpg wise
nowhere near my ML Bluetec though

My next (#5) Explorer will probably be the Sport with the Ecoboost twin turbo motor in about 2 years. Glad you are enjoying yours, and driving it the way the engineers intended.

My 2011 will be 2 years old in late February, and I just rolled over 64,000 miles this week when it was -8 degrees in central Minnesota.
HI Bill. Just to keep you up to date, mine will be 2 years on March 14th and I have amassed a total of 7771.267 miles to date. The only concern I have is that all my 8 tires may reach their "Best Before Date" before I have to replace them due to wear. :D

Peter

HI Bill. Just to keep you up to date, mine will be 2 years on March 14th and I have amassed a total of 7771.267 miles to date. The only concern I have is that all my 8 tires may reach their "Best Before Date" before I have to replace them due to wear. :D

Peter

i will do that in 2 months

So I probably spend more time in my car than most people. I picked up my Sport on 12/28 and now have about 3000 miles on it.

I have 6000 since mid Nov, so we're on par for driving :)

It also is getting 17.9 mpg so far which is really not bad at all.

This surprises me, I'm averaging around 19.5 (half city/half highway commutes). I figured I was on the low end since i have a heavy foot taking off from stop lights.

Where the hell is Applink? GRR
Other than that so far so good

I hear ya. I expected to have it in my 2011 XLT, I'm really disappointed at the lack of motivation to get it included with their premium entertainment system.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride, other than MFT the explorer(s) have been are most comfortable, enjoyable rides and we've had a lot of different cars over the past few years (13 cars in the last 11 years).

I went from the 2004 Cayenne to the 2013 Sport. My mileage averages 19.8 (mixed city/highway) versus about 17 on the Cayenne. I absolutely love the extra room in the Sport and the great acceleration. Hope you get as much fun out of yours as I have got out of mine.

I went from the 2004 Cayenne to the 2013 Sport. My mileage averages 19.8 (mixed city/highway) versus about 17 on the Cayenne. I absolutely love the extra room in the Sport and the great acceleration. Hope you get as much fun out of yours as I have got out of mine.
Thanks I hope I am LOL
Did you like your Cayenne I am thinking of getting the diesel to replace my ML

I loved my Porsche (both 911 c-4 and Cayenne). However, my Cayenne was a first year model and had lots of issues (replacement of drive shaft, front differential, three sets of coils, etc.). Fortunately, I had extended the warranty to 100K miles. After that, it needed the valve body in the transmission. That was the straw that drove me away from Porsche. I generally don't care about mileage and if I were to get another Cayenne, I would not get the diesel. I'm in California and the cost of diesel is always higher than premium. Then you have to use the additive for emissions and probably an additive to control or eliminate algae. Lastly, the pay back for the cost of the diesel option exceeded five years.

The weight to horsepower ratio for the Sport was better than the 2004 Cayenne. The brakes are a push but the Cayenne wins on handling.

I loved my Porsche (both 911 c-4 and Cayenne). However, my Cayenne was a first year model and had lots of issues (replacement of drive shaft, front differential, three sets of coils, etc.). Fortunately, I had extended the warranty to 100K miles. After that, it needed the valve body in the transmission. That was the straw that drove me away from Porsche. I generally don't care about mileage and if I were to get another Cayenne, I would not get the diesel. I'm in California and the cost of diesel is always higher than premium. Then you have to use the additive for emissions and probably an additive to control or eliminate algae. Lastly, the pay back for the cost of the diesel option exceeded five years.

The weight to horsepower ratio for the Sport was better than the 2004 Cayenne. The brakes are a push but the Cayenne wins on handling.
Thanks for the info. I was considering it because in my ML the up charge wasn't that much and I can get the adblue from VW for not very much dollars. We almost bought the Cayenne in 2010 and I have liked it ever since.
I surprised that the Sport is even that close although I really like mine

I am getting around 16.9 with mostly city driving. We drove up to Nashville last weekend and we got around 21-22mpg. I will say the backseat was great with the moonroof. It didn't feel like you were so closed in. My friend who is 6'4 rode in the back and was pleased with the leg and head room. I wish the gas mileage was a little better, but I knew this going in.

My wife is averaging 19-20 mpg with her sport. She does a good mix of city and highway driving, but she isn't on the throttle too hard. So far she loves her "turbo charged Mommy mobile" as she calls it.

Porsche SUV owners switching over to the new Explorer, is pretty impressive, IMO. Never thought I'd see that. Good endorsement for Ford. I say this as a very enthusiastic Porsche owner (1997 993 Turbo and a 2006 Boxster S).

Peter

Hey Peter! I too have 7,771.267 miles.......all in reverse!! :) Stay thirsty, my friend.

Got my sport on Dec 8. I've got nearly 5000mi on it now. No real complaints. MFT has not rebooted or given me any problems. I'm averaging about 19mpg with mostly highway driving. I calculate it myself on every refill. My best tank was 20.1mpg.

Are you guys quoting MPG from the computer or calculating at fill up? I'm finding that the computer is higher than actual by 1.5mpg or more.

I bought my base just before X-Mas. I've clocked just shy of 2400 miles. I've been averaging 20.4-20.6 mpg mixed driving. I pulled a car trailer up to Laramie Wy and back. Outside of needing a set of helper springs it did great. It's been a great car so far, but I still miss my '10 Mustang... :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back